Cathi

The Dream Act

107 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This video is about people who were brought to the US as children by their parents, by no choice of their own. As adults they face all kinds of problems trying to integrate into a country they grew up in and the only place they know as home. These are the people who are eligible to apply for residency because of the Dream Act, I say they deserve a chance, just like everyone else. Just to remind you what the Dream Act is: The Dream Act provides conditional permanent residency to certain illegal aliens of good moral character who graduate from U.S. high schools, arrived in the United States as minors, and lived in the country continuously for at least five years prior to the bill's enactment.

Time and time again I see people on this site complain because their petition may be delayed because of Dream Act applicants. It is disgusting to think that people in this country are so self centered that they can't for one single moment imagine what it would be to in their shoes, faced with deportation because of something they had no control over in the first place, being brought here by their parents as young children. I can bet that the majority of people don't actually know what the Dream Act is. So before you whine about how slow your petition is going, and blame it on the so called 'illegals" that caused your so called delay, watch this video and then tell me the few extra weeks you had to wait was in vain. These people deserve a chance to stay, just like your husband/wife/fiance deserves the chance to be reunited with you.

http://www.upworthy....h-school?c=ufb1

if this is in the wrong place please move it for me...thank you

Thanks for this mimolicious! I completely agree! I have also seen people blame the Dreamers themselves!!

K1 Visa
Service Center: California
I-129f Sent: 08/3/2012
I-129f NOA1: 08/06/2012
I-129f RFE(s): NONE
I-129f Reply(s): NONE
I-129f NOA2: 04/23/2013
NVC Received:5/13/2013
NVC Left:
Consulate Received (Dublin, Ireland):
Packet 3 Received:
Packet 3 Sent:
Packet 4 Received:
Medical Exam:
Interview:
Visa Received:
US Entry:
Wedding:

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Sure. So what is your recommendation? 10 months? 2 years?

It's been over 2 years for me personally.

If it has been two years since you first filed, then something is definitely wrong and you should look into it. Such a lengthy process is warranted when there are documents missing or incorrect information given to the USCIS.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No, it's been 2 years since I have been engaged. The prolonged NOA2 is just adding to that.

Anyways, it is really up to the embassys to weed out the fakes. The USCIS just needs to process the I-129F's as long as all the paperwork and requirements are in order. They are not making value judjements, and their stated goal is 5 months, not some arbitrarily extended time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

People are irritated because they feel like the DACA applicants are getting priority and they are already in the U.S. while people are waiting on their love ones to come into the U.S. and they have been waiting for a very long time. This is the problem that is occuring. The DACA applicants should not be receiving priority and they are already in the U.S. with their love ones.

Their feelings are correct, alas.

USCIS CSC has shifted priorites for casefile type adjudication starting 1 AUG 2012 ,

the adjudicators were shifted , and

DACA casefiles have priority.

This is fact, not conjecture, not anything loosely associated with 'feelings', alas.

DACA sucks.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I was replying to the post that the hot shot Harvard student should go before others.

Not filing for 2 years was your choice, no one else's. Do not add that onto your time frame of waiting. You chose to be engaged for 2 years.

Just because I would be willing to wait, for a child who came from the ghetto to go to Harvard doesn't mean someone else will. Like I said, if I could make the choice, I would. But I don't get that decision.

I also agree with the poster that stated that when these kids can work, they can pay taxes. Haven't you noticed that the US government needs your taxes?

My husband works for the FAA. He's being furloughed. Do you get what that means? Because the FAA made a better deal, they get off a big easier than other government agencies. But because there are so many PLANES flying around the USA, they should. Do you want planes to crash? No, of course not, no one does. But who do you think employs the air traffic controllers? Or the guys to maintain all the equipment on the ground? The FAA!! So who fixes the equipment? Yeah my husband does. Next time you fly over Colorado think about the fact that my husband helps keep the old equipment working properly so your plane knows where it's going and how far away from the ground it is, among other things. People like that all over the USA are being forced to work less hours. Little more scary isn't it?

Military men and women are suddenly finding themselves forced out early. They've spent their life in service. Unless you've done it, you can't know what it means to be owned by the government. But now, because there aren't enough taxes to pay the bills, it's "thanks so much! Cya!" What about the person they're trying to bring over? They're important too but now this military person doesn't have a job either.

Bigger picture people.

I'm not saying they couldn't have handled this better. For absolute surety they could have and still can. They messed up, majorly, thinking that this wouldn't affect anyone any more and people wouldn't be upset. They should be doing all they can to fix it and I don't want to see anyone spend more time away from their loved ones. The USCIS needs an overhaul, this information should be online and much faster. The NVC should be doing electronic processing for everyone. I agree the system is not transparent enough either.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

This video is about people who were brought to the US as children by their parents, by no choice of their own. As adults they face all kinds of problems trying to integrate into a country they grew up in and the only place they know as home. These are the people who are eligible to apply for residency because of the Dream Act, I say they deserve a chance, just like everyone else. Just to remind you what the Dream Act is: The Dream Act provides conditional permanent residency to certain illegal aliens of good moral character who graduate from U.S. high schools, arrived in the United States as minors, and lived in the country continuously for at least five years prior to the bill's enactment.

Time and time again I see people on this site complain because their petition may be delayed because of Dream Act applicants. It is disgusting to think that people in this country are so self centered that they can't for one single moment imagine what it would be to in their shoes, faced with deportation because of something they had no control over in the first place, being brought here by their parents as young children. I can bet that the majority of people don't actually know what the Dream Act is. So before you whine about how slow your petition is going, and blame it on the so called 'illegals" that caused your so called delay, watch this video and then tell me the few extra weeks you had to wait was in vain. These people deserve a chance to stay, just like your husband/wife/fiance deserves the chance to be reunited with you.

http://www.upworthy....h-school?c=ufb1

if this is in the wrong place please move it for me...thank you

I cant beleive this... USC and their bennificiaries have EVERY right to be angry with DACA petitioners. They are here illegally. ILLEGALLY. It doesnt matter when they came here what age, i dont care. They have their parents to thank for that. In the mean time they have been able to take advantage of our economy, jobs, educational system (not sure if thats really a good thing), social saftey nets..the list goes on.

As far as worries about being deproted...PLEASE!!! Biggest line of BS. There are sanctuary cities in nearly every state. 100% safe for them no worries. I bet they could walk up to an ICE agent declare they are illegal and nothing would happen.

You say "These people deserve a chance to stay, just like your husband/wife/fiance deserves the chance to be reunited with you." Well excuse me! last time i checked they HAVE been staying here for in many cases more than a decade, surrounded by family. My finacee i only get to see one another once a year and it has a finacial impact on us both. She being a student struggles to find a job where she isnt working 15 hours a day for peanuts. She doesnt complain about it we work thru it together long distance. So i have every right to be angry when govt. and illegal aliens whom are using everyone here as a door mat to wipe their feet on for being responisble law abiding individuals.

your right everyone desrves a chance. Do as the Law says be DEPORTED or LEAVE, wait out your ban. Then fill out all this wonderful paper work and get in line like the rest of us!!!!!!!!

DACA (Delay All Citizens Applications)

Timeline

Not filing for 2 years was your choice, no one else's.

Actually, it was not my choice. I could not file because my #### #### #### #### ex wife's attorney sat on our divorce case for a year and a half. Since I needed the official judjement (per I-129F and USCIS rules), I could not file earlier. I would have filed over 2 years ago if I could.

But I did file my I-129F before they began accepting DACA. But I guess thats cool with you too that applications filed after mine are given priority.

Timeline

. But I guess thats cool with you too that applications filed after mine are given priority.

That is the part you seem to be be missing: That has always been the case. The process is not FIFO. It has never been.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

The dream act did not exist two years ago.

And where is your timeline Gegel, since you seem to be quick to judge others.

Everyone has their story, is all I'm saying. I'm not suggesting others should not get a chance. I'm suggesting that USCIS should process their workload per their own goals.

That is the part you seem to be be missing: That has always been the case. The process is not FIFO. It has never been.

Yes, I realize it is not ### ### FIFO. But should they be practically ignoring a whole class of applications for months? with a 5 month stated goal?

Timeline

And where is your timeline Gegel, since you seem to be quick to judge others.

Everyone has their story, is all I'm saying. I'm not suggesting others should not get a chance. I'm suggesting that USCIS should process their workload per their own goals.

Yes, I realize it is not ### ### FIFO. But should they be practically ignoring a whole class of applications for months? with a 5 month stated goal?

I have no timeline and it was not my intention to pass judgment. I am sorry if I came across that way.

I agree with you on everything you say and I do understand the frustration you must be feeling. My only point is that it would be unwise for you to point your finger at one particular group of people, when admittedly, the CSC is letting everyone else go first.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Timeline

If DACA cases deserve that much attention then we should explore the issue even further. How about the children of parents who didn't have the courage to cross the boarder illegally and are living now outside US. I am sure many of them would like to live in US now, but are being punished for having parents who respected the law.

Actually, it was not my choice. I could not file because my #### #### #### #### ex wife's attorney sat on our divorce case for a year and a half. Since I needed the official judjement (per I-129F and USCIS rules), I could not file earlier. I would have filed over 2 years ago if I could.

But I did file my I-129F before they began accepting DACA. But I guess thats cool with you too that applications filed after mine are given priority.

Well i'm sorry that the lawyer messed up your life. That's not the fault of a child.

No I don't agree in how they do the petitions. But that is the USCIS who is doing it. How is it the fault of a DACA petitioner?

I'm trying to get you to understand where your anger should be placed. You're mad. You're angry. You have the right to be those things. Turn it onto the appropriate place. Do something to make something happen. Start petitions, write letters, be productive. Coming on the internet and ranting about how your case is taking longer because 1) your ex wife's lawyer messed up (or perhaps your ex wife didn't pay him?) and 2) the USCIS decided to process these petitions ahead of yours for reasons which are good reasons but not good enough for you, is a bit silly. Look deeper instead and get to the real root of the problem. The USCIS should amend their goals, and state exactly (or at the very least an accurate time range) how much time things will take vs trying to say it's all okay when it's not. They should have decided on a plan of action to process the DACA petitioners where it would't interfere with the regular petitions they process. They should have anticipated and planned this BETTER. Don't blame the Dream Act or the Dream act petitioners. It's squarely in the fault of the USCIS via mismanagement.

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Its simple, the sooner they are processed, the sooner they can start paying taxes, and the money becomes available to use. Due to increase in tax rate in almost all the taxes except Medicare the government is going to see a decent increment in tax revenue. Also potential voter bank. If not for the next election, than election after. So they are being rushed. This is from my experience in politics and I do not think I am speculating based on what is happening here either. Just my two cents though.

This seems to be another misconception. The DACA people are being given 2 year EAD. Not citizenship as is required to vote.

The last thing I saw was the bi-partisan committee was looking at the possibility of them being granted residency and then citizenship after 13 years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.