trupnay5

Buying fiance's ticket with airline miles

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just wanted to see if anyone out there has purchased your fiance's ticket using airlines miles. Did your fiance encounter any problems at the airport? What documents, if any, were they required to show (your ID, itinerary, etc)? I've read a lot of posts from people who bought tickets using mileage with Delta Airlines, and they said the USC went to a ticketing office here in the states for verification or something. However, I am redeeming miles with American Airlines, so if there is someone who could share their AAdvantage miles redemption experience, it would be greatly appreciated...but anyone's experience/tips are welcome! Thanks in advance! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

when you call the redemption helpline and pose yer question to a human there,

what's the answer?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

When I came here, my now husband tried to purchase my airplane ticket with his miles but for sone reason, AA didn't allow him to do it. They told us something like they can only issue a ticket for him not anybody. I think it was a ridiculous excuse so we ended up finding a good deal with my travel agent on a one way ticket (just $250). I hope you have better luck

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

when you call the redemption helpline and pose yer question to a human there,

what's the answer?

I'm currently on my 3rd call (in a span of a few months) with the redemption hotline. The first time they said no, the second time yes, this time the rep is not sure. :/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

cool ! can prep a fax inquiry, send it in, instead?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

When I came here, my now husband tried to purchase my airplane ticket with his miles but for sone reason, AA didn't allow him to do it. They told us something like they can only issue a ticket for him not anybody. I think it was a ridiculous excuse so we ended up finding a good deal with my travel agent on a one way ticket (just $250). I hope you have better luck

:( ...you got your ticket for only $250? Wow! I've never seen one for that low ever! The lowest I've seen are about $800. Tickets right now if we have to buy it are, at the cheapest, about $1500. :/

I found this from a google search: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1102222-using-aadvantage-miles-purchase-ticket-someone-else.html

Also, from AA's web site: http://www.americanairlines.cn/intl/cn/AAdvantage_en/Redeem_miles.jsp

• You can give your travel award to someone else, though once an award ticket is issued it can't be transferred to another name.
  • Once issued your award ticket will be valid for one year, though if you change it you may incur additional cost.

Timeline

Someone from another board was able to use AA miles for his fiance and her daughter last year, from HongKong to O'hare (via Narita) on AA partner airlines. He had to call AA to book the flight.

Edited by Bayareaguy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

well, I come from Venezuela. It's a 2.5 hours flight and my husband live in Miami so I didn't need conections or take other flights. Usually are pretty cheap

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

There is an old law on the Philippines books that requires redemption of American Airlines miles award for flights that originate in the Philippines that only the American Airlines office in Manila can issue the ticket. If you know anything about the politics in this country, you will how that could have been passed. Been on the books since the Marcos era. Crazy. Absolutely. But when you finally get ahold of someone at AA that knows what they are talking about, that is the facts of the matter. I can't find the phone number but I do have the email address. It being the Philippines it is hit or miss if she replies. Her name is Jinky Torres I believe. A google search may provide more information, the office is located in Ermita Manila I believe.

(salessupport@aamnl.ph)

I can't answer if they will allow you to use miles for another person. The rules are just a little different in the Philippines. I have originated 5 flights with AA miles while in the PH. I was never allowed to book a flight originating in the PH with AA in the USA.

Timeline

There is an old law on the Philippines books that requires redemption of American Airlines miles award for flights that originate in the Philippines that only the American Airlines office in Manila can issue the ticket. If you know anything about the politics in this country, you will how that could have been passed. Been on the books since the Marcos era. Crazy. Absolutely. But when you finally get ahold of someone at AA that knows what they are talking about, that is the facts of the matter. I can't find the phone number but I do have the email address. It being the Philippines it is hit or miss if she replies. Her name is Jinky Torres I believe. A google search may provide more information, the office is located in Ermita Manila I believe.

(salessupport@aamnl.ph)

I can't answer if they will allow you to use miles for another person. The rules are just a little different in the Philippines. I have originated 5 flights with AA miles while in the PH. I was never allowed to book a flight originating in the PH with AA in the USA.

Thanks to everyone for your responses! :)

Just an update...MoJoe1, you are correct...I was told from the AA booking rep that the Philippines is like the only place she knows of that requires the ticket to be issued there. Miles can be used for another person. I was able to hold the itinerary/reservation, but the taxes and fees have to be paid at the American Airlines branch in Manila, located in the Century Park Hotel. I spoke to Jinky multiple times! So when my fiance arrived to pay, she knew all about it hahaha...My fiance paid about P6500, which includes $75 expedite fee for booking less than 21 days before the flights, taxes on the ticket itself (about $30ish), and the departure/travel tax that some pay at the airport if it is not included with the ticket.

Here is a link for the AA Manila branch info, just in case anyone ever comes across this topic in a search and needs this info :)

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/whereWeFly/internationalTickets/philippines.jsp

Timeline

Thanks to everyone for your responses! smile.png

Just an update...MoJoe1, you are correct...I was told from the AA booking rep that the Philippines is like the only place she knows of that requires the ticket to be issued there. Miles can be used for another person. I was able to hold the itinerary/reservation, but the taxes and fees have to be paid at the American Airlines branch in Manila, located in the Century Park Hotel. I spoke to Jinky multiple times! So when my fiance arrived to pay, she knew all about it hahaha...My fiance paid about P6500, which includes $75 expedite fee for booking less than 21 days before the flights, taxes on the ticket itself (about $30ish), and the departure/travel tax that some pay at the airport if it is not included with the ticket.

Here is a link for the AA Manila branch info, just in case anyone ever comes across this topic in a search and needs this info smile.png

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/whereWeFly/internationalTickets/philippines.jsp

That's good info.

BTW, what will be the route from Manila and POE? I'm just wondering how many connections there are.

Timeline

YES, you can use Miles for another person. I speak for AAdvantage anyway. I have used miles for others even when I don't travel with them. Now, I have no experience, yet, with getting miles for my fiance. I can tell you for sure that when I do that, its a one way ticket of course. So I speak from experience with myself. For example, I have a RT from US to Manila. After arriving in Manila, I change the return date. Then a new return ticket is issued which is now just a one way ticket. AA has told me Philippines is the only country that does not allow one way "electronic" tickets to be issued which originate from the Philippines. So, when I make such a change, I have to physically go to the AA office in Manila to have the paper ticket issued.

I wonder for those who buy tickets for their fiance, does your fiance have to physically go to the ticket office or is it done electronically?

Edited by Jeff1970

Timeline

Just to add, I can also tell you from experience that some airlines (in my case US airways) does not allow one way ticket miles redemption. You have to buy a RT ticket. Well, they will allow you to use miles for one way but you have to pay RT miles amount. AA will allow you to use miles for only one way and its simply 50% of the RT cost of miles.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm going through this process with AA right now, so here is what has happened as of today:

1. Call AA Advantage reservations at 1-800-822-8880, state you are purchasing a reward flight (or flights) for another person (fiance/fiancee/children). They will search for available flights from Manila to your desired destination.

2. When they find an acceptable date/route, you can put a hold on the reservation good for 5 days. You need to have their passport information (full names, DOB, passport #) to reserve the flights.

3. Your fiance will go to the AA office from this link and pay the fees and taxes and get the ticket issued (not the boarding pass). You need to have your passports (we are going to try photocopies since the embassy will have her passports at the time). Office is located:

Airesources, Inc (GSA)

Lower Lobby, Century Park Hotel
P. Ocampo St., Malate, Metro Manila
Philippines
Phone: +(632) 524 8625
Fax: +(632) 400 5988

Jinky Torres

4. Assuming everything worked correctly, they go to the airport before the flight to get the boarding passes, and bon voyage!

I'm kind of worried, as there was an error in one of the boys middle names when I first made the reservation (I got it corrected on AA side, but we arn't sure if it was corrected on the partner airlines side, Cathay Pacific), and not sure if the photocoppies of the passports will be acceptable since the embassy will have them when she is going to the AA office. We'll soon find out unsure.png

Edited by Bayareaguy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.