shelliebell

Been in USA since age 6!!

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

BTW, I spoke with the paralegal a few min ago and she said that I will recieve my work permit within a few weeks of applying. Before I even go to my marriage interview. Pretty excited about that :D

Well "few weeks" is actually 2-3 months but yes, normally you get that before your interview but as a GC through this process can take as little as 3 months but sometimes more like 6 months.

Timeline

Yeyyyy!!! we all receive the EAD (work permit) a month later after the biometric... sooo! with your EAD you can not only have a valid SSN but also you can apply for a driver license and get access to any kind of jobs :):dance: :dance: :dance: and I totally feel you when you said you want to be OUT of your house...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that was me a few month ago! Im very happy for you

Not "any" kinds of jobs. She needs to make sure she doesn't apply for any jobs that are "USC only" (as just applying has seen a member get denied as the job said "USC only") but otherwise yes. She also can't vote but otherwise can be like anyone else.

Timeline

I seriously am no less american than my friends,

Yes you are. Until you are ACTUALLY an "American" you are still South African. Don't even suggest to people that you're "American" because you're not and that alone can get you into trouble. I cannot express to you enough how you MUST NEVER say or pretend to be American. You can't let anyone even THINK you're American just because you don't "correct" them. If someone says "she's an American" you say "No, I'm an LPR" (when you are). Until then you are a South African living in America, and were raised here. They don't need to know your status but they MUST NOT think you're American or tell anyone you're American. This is very very important.

I know what you mean, that you grew up here, this feels like your home, that you sound like everyone else and look like everyone else but you're not "American". You are currently an illegal alien. Then you will be an LPR, then in 3 years from being an LPR (minus 90 days) you can apply for US citizenship and after your Oath ceremony THEN you are American.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to help you. Claiming to be a USC is basically the worst thing you can do. People have been denied USC by ticking "register to vote" on the drivers license (because that's a USC only thing), for ticking "USC" on an I-9, for other people saying they're American and them not saying they're not, for applying for jobs that are for USC's only. You don't want anyone telling anyone else that you told them you're American. Just writing the above could be construed as you saying you ARE American. You can't let this one thing destroy everything. It's a small thing. In 3 years after being an LPR (if you're still married to a USC) you CAN be an American. It'll be a fabulous day.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Not "any" kinds of jobs. She needs to make sure she doesn't apply for any jobs that are "USC only" (as just applying has seen a member get denied as the job said "USC only") but otherwise yes. She also can't vote but otherwise can be like anyone else.

when I say any kind of jobs I mean she is able to work free and legal...when people illegal immigrate, their "job field" is very very limited...Obviously she cannot apply for a federal or gov job...It's kind of obvious

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Timeline

Yes you are. Until you are ACTUALLY an "American" you are still South African. Don't even suggest to people that you're "American" because you're not and that alone can get you into trouble. I cannot express to you enough how you MUST NEVER say or pretend to be American. You can't let anyone even THINK you're American just because you don't "correct" them. If someone says "she's an American" you say "No, I'm an LPR" (when you are). Until then you are a South African living in America, and were raised here. They don't need to know your status but they MUST NOT think you're American or tell anyone you're American. This is very very important.

I know what you mean, that you grew up here, this feels like your home, that you sound like everyone else and look like everyone else but you're not "American". You are currently an illegal alien. Then you will be an LPR, then in 3 years from being an LPR (minus 90 days) you can apply for US citizenship and after your Oath ceremony THEN you are American.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to help you. Claiming to be a USC is basically the worst thing you can do. People have been denied USC by ticking "register to vote" on the drivers license (because that's a USC only thing), for ticking "USC" on an I-9, for other people saying they're American and them not saying they're not, for applying for jobs that are for USC's only. You don't want anyone telling anyone else that you told them you're American. Just writing the above could be construed as you saying you ARE American. You can't let this one thing destroy everything. It's a small thing. In 3 years after being an LPR (if you're still married to a USC) you CAN be an American. It'll be a fabulous day.

Needs to be stickied.

when I say any kind of jobs I mean she is able to work free and legal...when people illegal immigrate, their "job field" is very very limited...Obviously she cannot apply for a federal or gov job...It's kind of obvious

No, its not obvious and needs to be stated.

It may not be of use to you but maybe crucial info to others doing a search in the future.

Stop being melodramatic.

Timeline

No, its not obvious and needs to be stated.

It may not be of use to you but maybe crucial info to others doing a search in the future.

Stop being melodramatic.

Melodramatic? for just explaining my point? your comment is completely inappropriate and offensive to me. As I told you before, if you don't have anything good to say it's better not to say anything...

:ot2: Once the OP has her EAD you can work in everything you want unless is a job for USC....sorry if I may confused you with my last comment! Hope you the best :thumbs: blessing

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

Not to everyone... otherwise people wouldn't have been denied USC simply for APPLYING for the job.

What is obvious to some needs to be spelled out to others.

Timeline

Not to everyone... otherwise people wouldn't have been denied USC simply for APPLYING for the job.

What is obvious to some needs to be spelled out to others.

Yes Im agree with you, but I guess, the gov make some background checks before hiring someone no? I guess they will find out if they are or not USC... so even if we want, we couldnt...that's why it was obvious to me...but yes you are right, making some things clear doesn't kill anyone :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

Yes Im agree with you, but I guess, the gov make some background checks before hiring someone no? I guess they will find out if they are or not USC... so even if we want, we couldnt...that's why it was obvious to me...but yes you are right, making some things clear doesn't kill anyone :thumbs: :thumbs:

I don't mean to harp but what happened in that particular case I was talking about, the guy, so excited about his interview for USC the following day, looked up some government jobs online and applied. There was apparently a question "Are you a USC?" and thinking "tomorrow I will be" (which isn't true) he said yes. He was denied. The OP hasn't been back on that thread so no idea what ended up happening.

Here's the thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/358739-denial-of-citizenship/ Just ticking a box ends it all :( Read the thread, scary stuff.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

I don't mean to harp but what happened in that particular case I was talking about, the guy, so excited about his interview for USC the following day, looked up some government jobs online and applied. There was apparently a question "Are you a USC?" and thinking "tomorrow I will be" (which isn't true) he said yes. He was denied. The OP hasn't been back on that thread so no idea what ended up happening.

Here's the thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/358739-denial-of-citizenship/ Just ticking a box ends it all :( Read the thread, scary stuff.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! JEEZZZ poor guyyyyy!!! don't worry we are here not only to help but to learn too. But what happened to him after that?

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! JEEZZZ poor guyyyyy!!! don't worry we are here not only to help but to learn too. But what happened to him after that?

No idea :( She hasn't been back since April 2012

Melodramatic? for just explaining my point? your comment is completely inappropriate and offensive to me. As I told you before, if you don't have anything good to say it's better not to say anything...

:ot2: Once the OP has her EAD you can work in everything you want unless is a job for USC....sorry if I may confused you with my last comment! Hope you the best :thumbs: blessing

Groan....

Well to get back on topic-

to the OP:

Because of your bad history with attorneys and the paralegals less then accurate timeframe of 'you'll have your EAD in a few weeks' I highly suggest you take a proactive approach and monitor your case in addition to relying on the attorneys services.

As Vanessa explained, youre not going to get your EAD until after biometrics. Typically you will receive your EAD within 3 months of the date you submitted your AOS packet. Some people get them sooner (2 months) but it averages around 3 months.

You can track your case using the USCIS online case status system found here-

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/login.jsp

You can sign up for text and email alerts by making an account. It does take a while for cases to be added, so dont panic if it says case not found. You should have a case number for your GC and one for your EAD.

You can also call the 800 number and ask for updates. The phone center has the same info found on the website. If an RFE is issued it will say so online or the phone center will tell you. It will tell you if mail is returned. It will tell you if something was sent to you.

You can also join the monthly filers thread for the month you filed to see where others are in comparison. Typically everyone moves along at the same clip. Its a great tool for support and when you start seeing posts like- just got my biometrics appt, you know to expect yours soon. Same thing when you start seeing posts about EAD cards in the mail.

Just make sure you join the right thread.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

Woooowww!!! Omg i never knew any of this!!! I know for a fact that i have ALWAYS corrected anyone who mistook me for a usc, but wow. I didnt know it was this crucial! Im 100% sure that i have not ever knowingly stated i was a usc, but the places i have worked before sometimes the manager would fill things out for me, and im just worried now that what if they ticked the box.... Is there any way i can find out?.... :/ :/

Thanks for telling me this info, i honestly have never thought about it, but then again usually the first words out of my mouth are "i am NOT a USC" im more or less worried about when i was younger and they would just do it for me.

Entered on B2 with parents in 1994.

Married my love on May 26, 2006

Filed I-130

Approved!

Daughter born 06-12-07 <3

Son born 09-25-09 <3

Twin girls born 06-25-12 <3 <3

AOS

09-23-13 - Atty mailed out packet I-485; I-765

09-26-13 - Recieved @ Chicago Lockbox

10-4-13 - email & txt receipt ( checked uscis website 765 is in "initial processing" & 485 is "acceptance")

10-7-13 - NOA x2 Hardcopies

10 -12-13 - Atty recieved Biometric letter (appt is Nov 4, 2013 @1pm in Nashville, tn) =) =) =)

11-04-13 - Biometrics completed! easy peasy! (day 39)

11-25-13- email&txt for interview

11-29-13- NOA2 Interview letter (Dec 30,2013)

12-02-13- EAD APPROVED!!!!!!!!! =)=)=)=) (day 68)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.