Athena13

Finding work in US is so different and difficult! with uni degree!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Linkedin isn't just for your current job, you put all of your past experience and education on your profile. It is an "onlone" resume of sorts.

Personally, I have only had one interview from Monster.com. It is good for searching relavent jobs, but not so much in terms of actually providing results.

On the other hand, I get contacted at least once every other week due to my Linkedin profile.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Linkedin isn't just for your current job, you put all of your past experience and education on your profile. It is an "onlone" resume of sorts.

Personally, I have only had one interview from Monster.com. It is good for searching relavent jobs, but not so much in terms of actually providing results.

On the other hand, I get contacted at least once every other week due to my Linkedin profile.

I have detailed info of my background, education, professional experience (work history) on my linkedin page.

what sort of job do you do?

I don't think someone like me, looking for aba therapist job or pet shop job will be contacted by linkedin people right? how do i let 'aba therapy' people see my 'occupational therapy' profile and take interest?

~My Timeline~

K1 and AOS- 2012

ROC- 2014

Citizenship N400

Filed: 12-28-2020 online

NOA1: 2-1-2021

Bio: reuse 4-26-2021

Interview: 2-14-2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have detailed info of my background, education, professional experience (work history) on my linkedin page.

what sort of job do you do?

I don't think someone like me, looking for aba therapist job or pet shop job will be contacted by linkedin people right? how do i let 'aba therapy' people see my 'occupational therapy' profile and take interest?

Yeah, I'm sure it is quite variable depending on your field and experience.

One thing to do is to try and search for people who went to the same schools as you and now live in your area/state, and or people who are in the same field as you that are local.

I am a research chemist with quite a lot of experience, so that, along with the fact that I am the USC and grew up here certainly is in my favor for interest in my profile.

You should also try and network locally, join a professional society if there is one in your field and attend any meetings. It certainly helps if you live in or near a large metropolitan area, where there will be more meetings and network opportunities.

is there any way you can just contact the professor of your courses to get syllabi?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I definitely disagree with this. "Curriculum Vitae" is simply the International English equivalent of American English "resume". American resumes may historically have been longer than British CVs, but these days there's often no difference in length or the amount of detail, yet the British ones are still called CVs. I wouldn't take a definition from about.com as gospel.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I definitely disagree with this. "Curriculum Vitae" is simply the International English equivalent of American English "resume". American resumes may historically have been longer than British CVs, but these days there's often no difference in length or the amount of detail, yet the British ones are still called CVs. I wouldn't take a definition from about.com as gospel.

You know I have to admit I was confused as well. I have always know the terms CV and resume to be interchangeable in Australia. We don't normally say CV, just the older folk, the younger people say resume.

In academia, a resume is short and concise, it includes educations and experience (usually one page). On the hand, a CV includes all your publications and papers published and this can be like 4-5 pages.

Edited by GandK

I certainly don't take that website as "gospel," but it was a quick reference that details some of the differences.

CVs and resumes are different. I work in a field with both. It is a lot more than a lexicon issue.

A resume is one page and lists the last few jobs and education, and relevant experience. A CV lists a lot more things, like all of your jobs, for instance, and also some things that are not appropriate for an American resume.

American resumes were never longer than CVs.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.