JB007

Permit not valid form of identification

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Instructions on the state.gov page call for a valid driver's license as form of identification which I don't have. For 7 years I have always used my permit to ID myself and everything and no one complained (was good enough to cross the US border at multiple checkpoints, apply for loans, get a job etc). For those not familiar, a permit is a state issued ID similar to a driver's license with the exception that you aren't allowed to drive, the rest looks identical.

When I went to apply for the US passport I was unpleasantly surprised that the post office clerk (a very dismissive lady BTW) wouldn't take it. What else was I supposed to show when my only other form of identification (my green card) was taken away when I became US citizen?

Instead she asked me to provide her a copy of my naturalization certificate as secondary ID which baffled me completely since I have just given her my naturalization certificate in original :o

I have always believed that driving is voluntary. In my case I don't have to since my wife and I work at the same place and we carpool together. Besides I find it a mistake to let people that lack proper training (including myself and million others who do have a license) have a license but here in the US looks like everyone drives even people that never use the turn signal, stop at stop signs or use their lights when it's dark outside :wow:

Edited by JB007

[Timeline]

10/13/2012 -> N-400 filed

10/19/2012 -> Check cashed

10/22/2012 -> NOA #1 letter received

10/25/2012 -> NOA #2 letter received

11/15/2012 -> Biometrics appointment

11/19/2012 -> Placed in line for interview

01/03/2013 -> Interview letter

02/12/2013 -> Interview passed

02/12/2013 -> Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

She was wrong. Ask to speak to a supervisor.

Timeline

Well it turned out this 'requirement' was imposed by this post office (text was printed on a piece of paper at the passport counter) so I didn't argue with her, just very annoyed by her over zealousness.

As said she asked for a photocopy of my naturalization certificate as secondary identification form which I found very stupid since I gave her all my original documents (naturalization certificate, SSN card, permit).

I was also very upset that she stapled all documents together including my original naturalization certificate :angry:

In the end I was able to apply and my documents were sent but the experience was very negative and uncharacteristic of the US system (I take she wasn't born here judging her behavior).

I wish I had acted differently and be more firm but I guess I was too shocked by her rudeness. Please don't make the same mistake and let situations like this ruin your week.

[Timeline]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It may be your usage of the word permit. In many states that is a paper that allows you to learn to drive a car/motorcycle and does not have a picture. In California what you have is called a state ID card. Someone probably told her permits weren't good enough

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It may be your usage of the word permit. In many states that is a paper that allows you to learn to drive a car/motorcycle and does not have a picture. In California what you have is called a state ID card. Someone probably told her permits weren't good enough

Ah yes good catch! I just read "ID" but you're right, he shouldn't be calling it a "permit", it's State ID.

Timeline

I've had both state ID and permit and I can say both look almost identical at least here in Oregon they both look like a driver's license and have a picture. Neither is just a piece of paper, if it were then my post office requirement would be understandable.

Edited by JB007

[Timeline]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When we applied for our daughter's passport, the post office also said my wife's state ID (also a permit) wouldn't be good enough, but that he was willing to send it anyways. He just told us not to be surprised when it was denied by the passport folks. It was approved without issue. I would just go try again with a different person or go to a different post office (we have several that do passports, but I don't know if that's true in smaller cities/towns). Good luck.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Timeline

Alright, just to clarify once more my passport application was accepted by the clerk and now waiting for the passport.

[Timeline]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.