DaisyX

Can an annoyed uscis officer delay your visa application?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The past three months, I called for the 3rd time, 1st time to inquire about a RFE,2nd to ask if I were in normal processing times, and then called since they told me to call at this time if my case didn't process by now.

The officer just gave me the generic run around, so I asked "The officer told me to call now since it should be processed around this time, so what can I do about this? Is there anything I can do about this or do I just wait it out?" He just said my case is still processing, and when I asked if it was in the normal processing time or when I should worry if it's past, he just told me, "Well the source of your frustration is when we tell you the time, so we won't tell you. You keep asking if you can do anything about this." I didn't know asking what I can do about this was negative like I was offering a bribe or something (I was asking only for what my options were other than to wait o.o)... I received my NOA 1 on Aug 6 2012, a rfe which I responded to and got a receipt (I wrote only the city and not the country in one of the entries - they didn't record my answer - they said it was ok when I asked about it).

I wasn't rude, but I just wanted to know if I had options and if my case was in normal processing time (The California center is processing the July 18th cases on December 2012). He doesn't even communicate that.. He just refused to answer anything, but give me the general "it's still processing." I didn't want to annoy him, but do you think he would spite me and delay my case just because I annoyed him? : /

Edited by J K

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I doubt whether you spoke directly with the officer who is handling your case. Don't worry about it.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

You can't do anything and your calling is wasting everyone's time. The process is frustratingly opaque - you don't know who has your case, or what is happening to it until it is approved. Just wait. Trust that it will be approved at some time.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Unless you have a specific issue that they can solve by phone, I wouldn't call. Nine times out of ten, you'll be given conflicting information.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

The people you speak to are never anywhere near your petition and the person that actually processes it has no idea if you ever called.

Do not expect an answer. Continuing to call is a symptom of insanity. USCIS does NOT do business by phone and you will NEVER get a definitive answer.

Uh... calling to affirm about a RFE not being recorded, then just calling once about your case post expected average processing times / then returning that call like the officer said I should was not unreasonable. Continuing to call isn't a symptom of insanity; it's just obviously annoying for both parties.

The question wasn't to complain about their reaction, which is understandable (I understand they get these type of calls all the time). I was just asking if the person involved has the option of putting my case in the way back or something ... or add some scrutiny to the case. I was worried, because I annoyed the person. However, I didn't think they would likely have any effect on my case. I was just worried and needed some reassurance.

Thank you very much for all those who responded; I do feel a lot better.

Edited by J K

Timeline

Uh... calling to affirm about a RFE not being recorded, then just calling once about your case post expected average processing times / then returning that call like the officer said I should was not unreasonable. Continuing to call isn't a symptom of insanity; it's just obviously annoying for both parties.

The question wasn't to complain about their reaction, which is understandable (I understand they get these type of calls all the time). I was just asking if the person involved has the option of putting my case in the way back or something ... or add some scrutiny to the case. I was worried, because I annoyed the person. However, I didn't think they would likely have any effect on my case. I was just worried and needed some reassurance.

Thank you very much for all those who responded; I do feel a lot better.

They do put notes in the case file, though, so keep that in mind. :thumbs:

3/26/18 Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The people you speak to are never anywhere near your petition and the person that actually processes it has no idea if you ever called.

Do not expect an answer. Continuing to call is a symptom of insanity. USCIS does NOT do business by phone and you will NEVER get a definitive answer.

Why are you and your fiance(e) not using your time to discuss their future life here in the US and you doing what you need to do to prepare them, to set them up, to enroll them in educational classes, what about the children...???.....there are more pressing matters at hand then terrorizing USCIS. Don't you think? THINK

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

They do put notes in the case file, though, so keep that in mind. :thumbs:

That's what I was worried about! I hope it wasn't a big deal... : / I regretted even calling after, because I realized I just wasted both our times right after the call. The last officer I talked to told me to call around this time that's why I even tried.

Jeez.. I only called twice about the processing times... -_- ... You guys don't have to be so mean about it. I was just honestly worried about it, because it's a lot at stake.

Edited by J K

Timeline

That's what I was worried about! I hope it wasn't a big deal... : / I regretted even calling after, because I realized I just wasted both our times right after the call. The last officer I talked to told me to call around this time that's why I even tried.

Jeez.. I only called twice about the processing times... -_- ... You guys don't have to be so mean about it. I was just honestly worried about it, because it's a lot at stake.

If you've ever worked the phones at a call center, you'll realize that it isn't a big deal to get notes written in. I worked at FTD for a dreaded month before I quit, but any time someone called you input notes about why they called and what you did to the case. The ISOs I've talked to have summarized the notes for me and have added additional info like "beware that petitioner is abroad - don't schedule for interview". I think calling a couple of times isn't something to write home about. ;)

3/26/18 Biometrics

If you've ever worked the phones at a call center, you'll realize that it isn't a big deal to get notes written in. I worked at FTD for a dreaded month before I quit, but any time someone called you input notes about why they called and what you did to the case. The ISOs I've talked to have summarized the notes for me and have added additional info like "beware that petitioner is abroad - don't schedule for interview". I think calling a couple of times isn't something to write home about. ;)

Thank you! Makes sense. Sorry about the little attitude before. I acted a defensively when some of the replies compared my two phone calls about the processing time with terrorizing and psychotic behaviors. I just got really anxious since it's been a long wait and the officer acted really annoyed. It's my first time going through this process, and I'm going to wait it out since it's the most reasonable way to approach it.

Every time you call, your case is automatically set back two months.

is this true? we call 3 times this month and last month. cos we are july filer that did not hear anything. we are in 211 days of waiting.. does it affect why until now no noa2. cos we keep on calling and asking about the progress of our petition,. ad also we ask to do a service request. which they give us but until now. no noa2.

Timeline

Every time you call, your case is automatically set back two months.

is this true? we call 3 times this month and last month. cos we are july filer that did not hear anything. we are in 211 days of waiting.. does it affect why until now no noa2. cos we keep on calling and asking about the progress of our petition,. ad also we ask to do a service request. which they give us but until now. no noa2.

See what you guys started? :no:

3/26/18 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.