ricnally

moving my belongings on a K1 visa

12 posts in this topic

hi all: just waiting for NOA2 and thinking about future move to the U.S. I'm planning to have my stuff professionally moved when I finally get the K1. My question is, since the K1 is technically a non-immigrant visa, is it OK to have my stuff "follow" me in shortly after I arrive, or do I have to keep it in storage in Canada until we're actually married and I've applied for AOS?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hi all: just waiting for NOA2 and thinking about future move to the U.S. I'm planning to have my stuff professionally moved when I finally get the K1. My question is, since the K1 is technically a non-immigrant visa, is it OK to have my stuff "follow" me in shortly after I arrive, or do I have to keep it in storage in Canada until we're actually married and I've applied for AOS?

Thanks!

Bring it with you the same day you cross - no issues

Bring it over after you already crossed - no issues

Cannot bring it before you go - you will have issues.

Getting married/filing AOS has nothing to do with bringing your stuff.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks!

You stuff can be moved any time during this process. It is not part of it.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You stuff can be moved any time during this process. It is not part of it.

It cannot. It has to be at the same time or after, not before.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Actually, once you have been approved and have the K-1 Visa, your stuff can go. There is a form the movers require with copies of your Visa, but your stuff can indeed go ahead of you.

09/11/2009 Met Online

04/17/2010 First In Person Date

03/23/2012 Engaged

06/01/2012 K-129F mailed

06/08/2012 NOA1

11/26/2012 NOA2

12/19/2012 Package 3 rec'd

12/20/2012 Package 3 sent

12/31/2012 Package 4 rec'd

02/15/2013 Medical appt in Toronto with Dr. Mascarenhas

03/04/2013 Interview @ Montreal Consulate - APPROVED!

03/06/2013 K1 Visa arrived at Loomis

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, once you have been approved and have the K-1 Visa, your stuff can go. There is a form the movers require with copies of your Visa, but your stuff can indeed go ahead of you.

Can someone else back this up? Everything I have read and researched says that even though you're approved and have your visa, your stuff cannot go ahead of you. It can go at the same time or after, but not before.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

I'm using AMJ Campbell for my move. The Fortune 500 corporation I work for uses them for all international/cross-country moves, so they know what they're talking about. Here's a link to the instructions for filling out the 3299 form - for shipping "unaccompanied" goods across the border.

http://www.amj-international.com/pdf/International_Moving_US_3299_instructions.pdf

09/11/2009 Met Online

04/17/2010 First In Person Date

03/23/2012 Engaged

06/01/2012 K-129F mailed

06/08/2012 NOA1

11/26/2012 NOA2

12/19/2012 Package 3 rec'd

12/20/2012 Package 3 sent

12/31/2012 Package 4 rec'd

02/15/2013 Medical appt in Toronto with Dr. Mascarenhas

03/04/2013 Interview @ Montreal Consulate - APPROVED!

03/06/2013 K1 Visa arrived at Loomis

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

**Post moved from K1 main to Canada forum. Question is not about a K1 process or procedure and may best addressed in this part of the forum, where other fellow Canadians can advise on best logistics from there to the US.

Timeline

From what I heard, the moving company needs an copy of your I-94 to move your stuff and you won't receive that until you actually POE yourself. You might want to double check with others but that is what is ringing a bell for me.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

UPS wouldn't deliver my boxes until I provided them with a copy of my I-94 which you get when you POE. Some moving companies are ill-informed about the process though (for example, requesting I-94s from IR1/CR1 holders).

Edited by pocheros

Filed: Timeline

Nope, not true. Once you cross there is a letter you have to send back to the movers. It needs to include a copy of the I-94, both front and back; the endorsed visa; and something else which I can't recall at the moment. A signed release form, I think it was.

Edited to add that they require a copy of the bio page of your passport as well.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

I booked through AJM Campbell as well and they ended up using United VanLines for my move back in 2004. They did a great job and everything arrived on time and in the same condition in which it was shipped

You need to provide them with a copy of your I-94 and the stamped K-1 visa in your passport after you have cleared immigration before your belongings can cross the border. The moving company is familiar with bringing in unaccompanied belongings so all you need to do is fax them a copy of those two items and you will be fine. You can provide them with a copy of your biographical page from your passport before you actually leave the country- they can pick it up when they pick up your belongings - but the other two will need to be sent to them after you cross the border. When the delivery van arrived the movers told me they were glad they had my documents because they were requested at the border and it would have caused them problems if they had been denied entry with my goods as they had the belongings of two other individuals on board as well to make up a full load.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.