hawkeyez

Gay

96 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
i have never met an atheist as judgmental or self righteous as you come across on these forums.

I've never met an atheist as judgmental or self righteous as (some) Christians.

Tho I still wonder why is it always that Christians are most judgmental. Not Muslims, not Buddhists, not any other religion...

Tho I still wonder why is it always that Christians are most judgmental. Not Muslims, not Buddhists, not any other religion...

Generally because in America you're going to meet more Christians than Muslims, Buddhists or people of other religions. I've seen judgmental people of all persuasions, this forum is a good example. Many get very judgmental on certain topics. Most of those people I would expect to find are very good people IRL, regardless of what faith or lack of faith they have. I've met highly judgmental Christians, that will badger people trying to get them to have the same faith as themselves. They're kind of a pain really. I've seen highly judgmental atheists, that try to badger people with faith into giving it up. They're also kind of a pain. Doesn't matter to me if someone has faith or not, or what that faith is. If it works for them and they're good people, I'm sure the God I believe in is happy with them. I know my own religion would probably disagree with that view. But as I see it a religion and its rules are written by men, and never perfect. Just as an atheist's rules are written by themselves. Again they're not going to be perfect. But its their life to live as they choose, and it matters not to me how they want to live it, unless they insert themselves into my own life or those I love.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

i am going to go out on a limb and venture that i know much more about the the christian faith than most non-believers and even some believers. i have read the entirety of the the bible, more than once. i wasted the majority of my childhood and teen years in bible drills, church camps, not to mention every single sunday, wednesday nights and countless extra saturday sessions. i have been baptised. i have been you, with the weight of all my unsaved friends and family on my shoulders.

of course atheists experience fears and anxiety. the difference between atheists and believers is atheists aren't required to pretend like faith is enough to sustain a meaningful existence. i don't have the threat of eternal suffering over my head or the fairy tale of heaven when i question believers or screw up or contribute something of value to the world. i am a good person without such fear. i make mistakes without losing the essence of goodness that makes me human. i don't need threats or promises to live properly. neither do you.

god is not my enemy because god does not exist. hell does not exist. all of your points are void.

Excellent post.

christianity is unique in that christians are required to actively 'spread the word'. i was taught very young that anyone i was not capable of "saving" i would eventually watch from heaven as they burned in hell. to a kid, that's pretty scary. i went to many classes to teach techniques on how to nonchalantly minister to my friends. i was taught to carry my bible visibly in school so kids might make fun of me or become inquisitive, opening the gates for me to minister to them. i could be wrong, i wasn't raised in any other religion and i honestly don't know very many people of other religions, but i think this sort of indoctrination is unique to fundamentalist christians. certainly not all christian environments function in this manner, this is only my experience.

I've seen highly judgmental atheists, that try to badger people with faith into giving it up. They're also kind of a pain.

this is very true. i went through a phase in my early twenties when i was beginning to accept that i didn't believe what i had been taught my entire life. i used to go into chat rooms and fight with christians, trying to convince them that they were wrong. i was basically ministering my atheism (which at that time i was still too scared to call myself that, i claimed i was a deist - it felt safer) which is completely ridiculous. eventually i realized that i needed to mind my own business and let people believe what they want to believe. i may not be a christian but just about everyone in my family is. i have to maintain a respectful balance. i try not to be a pain :blush:

this is very true. i went through a phase in my early twenties when i was beginning to accept that i didn't believe what i had been taught my entire life. i used to go into chat rooms and fight with christians, trying to convince them that they were wrong. i was basically ministering my atheism (which at that time i was still too scared to call myself that, i claimed i was a deist - it felt safer) which is completely ridiculous. eventually i realized that i needed to mind my own business and let people believe what they want to believe. i may not be a christian but just about everyone in my family is. i have to maintain a respectful balance. i try not to be a pain :blush:

The Catholic church I went to as a kid drove me away also. Or maybe it was just a part of growing up? But I was seeing people acting in ways I found against the teachings of Jesus. I went on an intellectual search of many religions, and basically found I had a deep core belief. It comes down to people will believe as they want, and if it works, makes them feel satisfied, and helps to make them a good person, God could ask for little more even if he does exist. This led me to understand other religions even more and study how they came about, and how they grew into religions. My core belief, as I am not an atheist, is god brings his message to all people in a way they can understand and accept. As man gets smarter and learns more, his beliefs will need to grow with him, and god's message will be better understood. If a religion refuses to grow with its people, that religion will die, but not before many of its frightened followers try to close their eyes and ignore what is right in their face. Those tend to become the fundamentalists. As we've seen man's knowledge grow and at extremely fast rate the last 100 years, religions are not keeping pace. We're seeing more choose not to believe than ever before, and more turn to fundamentalism and extremism to try to force others not to see what their own eyes show them. I expect in another 100 years, the religions we know today are going to have a very different set of beliefs or be replaced by new ones.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

i am going to go out on a limb and venture that i know much more about the the christian faith than most non-believers and even some believers. i have read the entirety of the the bible, more than once. i wasted the majority of my childhood and teen years in bible drills, church camps, not to mention every single sunday, wednesday nights and countless extra saturday sessions. i have been baptised. i have been you, with the weight of all my unsaved friends and family on my shoulders.

of course atheists experience fears and anxiety. the difference between atheists and believers is atheists aren't required to pretend like faith is enough to sustain a meaningful existence. i don't have the threat of eternal suffering over my head or the fairy tale of heaven when i question believers or screw up or contribute something of value to the world. i am a good person without such fear. i make mistakes without losing the essence of goodness that makes me human. i don't need threats or promises to live properly. neither do you.

god is not my enemy because god does not exist. hell does not exist. all of your points are void.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

What most of the religious superstitious seem unable to grasp is that it is the very knowledge of the bible, its origins, content and context, make the very basis that evidences the non-existence of the deity it falsely represents.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

What most of the religious superstitious seem unable to grasp is that it is the very knowledge of the bible, its origins, content and context, make the very basis that evidences the non-existence of the deity it falsely represents.

Ki sa ki pi fò nan sipèstisye yo relijye sanble kapab atrab se ke li se konesans nan anpil nan Bib la, orijin li, kontni ak kontèks, fè baz nan anpil ki prèv ki pa egzistans lan nan Divinite a li manti reprezante.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Timeline

Ki sa ki pi fò nan sipèstisye yo relijye sanble kapab atrab se ke li se konesans nan anpil nan Bib la, orijin li, kontni ak kontèks, fè baz nan anpil ki prèv ki pa egzistans lan nan Divinite a li manti reprezante.

English only outside the regional forums! :bonk:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

English only outside the regional forums! :bonk:

I was making an attempt to translate Gegel's post. My bad.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

christianity is unique in that christians are required to actively 'spread the word'. i was taught very young that anyone i was not capable of "saving" i would eventually watch from heaven as they burned in hell. to a kid, that's pretty scary. i went to many classes to teach techniques on how to nonchalantly minister to my friends. i was taught to carry my bible visibly in school so kids might make fun of me or become inquisitive, opening the gates for me to minister to them. i could be wrong, i wasn't raised in any other religion and i honestly don't know very many people of other religions, but i think this sort of indoctrination is unique to fundamentalist christians. certainly not all christian environments function in this manner, this is only my experience.

If it was possible to give more than one +1 my fingers would be tired from hitting +1 on your posts in this thread.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect