aidan80

Unrestricted SSN My Ar$e!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I know I’ve read a similar story not too many months ago on here.. here’s mine! Are some of these people unaware of their own rules, regulations and procedures?

I got my Green Card in the mail this week. We went into the SSA Office today and explained that I had been issued a SSN when I came in as a K1 and it has the words “Valid for employment with DHS authorization” printed on it. I asked to get an unrestricted SSN and have the words removed as I was now a Legal Permanent Resident. I placed all my documents on the desk, Green Card, Drivers License, Passport and a printout from the SSA site.

Without as much as letting me finish what I was saying the woman at the counter cut me off and stated that my SSN wasn’t restricted and that I didn’t need a new card :o . I interrupted her a number of times trying to explain what she was saying wasn’t correct according to the SSA website. She explained that she couldn’t give me another card as my green card expired in two years, I said it’s a green card a 10 year card would expire as well, she stated that she had seen 3 people today just like me with 10 year cards and couldn’t do anything for them? :huh: What happens if you’re a citizen and your passport expires? I was beyond annoyed at this point in time!

I explained again that I was entitled to an unrestricted SSN. I showed her a printout from the SSA site which states clearly in a step by step fashion that I was in fact entitled to an unrestricted SSN :) . At first the woman says “show me where it says you need an unrestricted SSN” in not quite a friendly tone.. she misreads the printout and I correct her.. she reads over it a few more times and leaves her desk. :lol:

A few minutes later she returns and begins placing my information into the computer, reading off the instructions on screen as she goes’s (someone just learnt something new I believe?). I fill out an SS-5 and she asks me to sign and states my new card should be with me shortly.

I leave happy but very annoyed at the arrogance of this “public servant”. :wacko:

Edited by aidan80

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

At least you being "stubborn" and knowing your rights managed to get it done. :yes:

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Good job teaching this stubborn government worker a lesson, Aidan! congratulations!

My story:

09/23/2002 - Met Chris online, there was something very special about this guy =0)

07/16/2006 - We got married in Reno, Nevada.

USCIS:

08/13/2006 - Filed for AOS, AP, EAD - they were VERY carefully packaged with a detailed cover sheet on top of each of the forms, just as VJ's instructions recommend. It was A LOT of work, but it did pay off! (we firmly believe this is what sped up our process big time)

08/31/2006 - Biometrics appointment

09/09/2006 - Received my AOS appointment date!

10/26/2006 - EAD touched and AP APPROVED!

10/27/2006 - AOS appointment at 7:30 AM! APPROVED IN EXACTLY 70 DAYS!!!

11/01/2006 - EAD approved

11/02/2006 - Email notification - greencard will be mailed as soon as it is ready! YAY again!

11/02/2006 - Welcome to the United States of America letter in the mail! Almost there! =)

11/06/2006 - EAD card and White card (a.k.a. greencard) arrive in the mail!

Journey Total Duration: 80 days

Filed for removal of conditions on 07-28-2008 and had them removed on 09-10-2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

good job and great determination ....

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great news :D

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Timeline

Thanks! I hadn’t quite realized I was being stubborn until it was mentioned. Ah well, why give up when it’s your rights? :blink:

I’m still annoyed; I hope I don’t get another SSN with the same “valid for work with DHS…” notation printed on it :lol: . I forgot to mention that the woman actually never seen my Social Security Card and never asked for the number until she was adding my information into their system :huh: , which was after she accepted that I was correct to begin with :wacko: ! If she seen 3 other people that day with Green Card’s I feel bad for them! Although I doubt it, she wasn’t 100% sure of my card when I gave it to her.

With some luck that should be the end of that round of madness for a long, long time to come! :)

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Way to go!

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Well done :) I too know how annoying social security people can be.. In fact I'm on my way there now... Wish me luck!

AOS/EAD

11/15/2006 NOA1 for EAD and AOS

12/1/2006 Received RFE Grrrrrrrrr

12/2/2006 Biometrics

12/8/2006 Sent back RFE

1/26/2007 EAD Card Production Ordered

1/31/2007 EAD Card received

3/6/2007 INTERVIEW - FBI namecheck

3/26/2007 NOA1 for AP

4/30/2007 AOS APPROVED

5/7/2007 Green Card Arrived!

-

2/12/09 Mailed Removal of Conditions

3/10/09 Bio Appt

-

Timeline
Well done :) I too know how annoying social security people can be.. In fact I'm on my way there now... Wish me luck!

Good Luck! :P

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

• 2 years later...

Should have showed them this: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...25sJnBfcGFnZT0x

Question

When I first applied for a Social Security card, I was issued a card that says, "Not Valid for Employment". I now have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Will I be issued a different number, or will I have to apply to adjust my current number?

Answer

If your work eligibility has changed or if you have become a U.S. citizen, you must apply for a replacement card. Your replacement card will no longer read “Not Valid for Employment,” but you will retain the same Social Security number.

To get a replacement card:

Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and

Show us documents proving your:

Immigration status;

Work eligibility; and

Identity.

Take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office. If you live in the New York City metropolitan area, Las Vegas NV, Orlando FL, Sacramento, CA or Phoenix AZ you may need to apply in person at your local Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

I know I’ve read a similar story not too many months ago on here.. here’s mine! Are some of these people unaware of their own rules, regulations and procedures?

I got my Green Card in the mail this week. We went into the SSA Office today and explained that I had been issued a SSN when I came in as a K1 and it has the words “Valid for employment with DHS authorization” printed on it. I asked to get an unrestricted SSN and have the words removed as I was now a Legal Permanent Resident. I placed all my documents on the desk, Green Card, Drivers License, Passport and a printout from the SSA site.

Without as much as letting me finish what I was saying the woman at the counter cut me off and stated that my SSN wasn’t restricted and that I didn’t need a new card :o . I interrupted her a number of times trying to explain what she was saying wasn’t correct according to the SSA website. She explained that she couldn’t give me another card as my green card expired in two years, I said it’s a green card a 10 year card would expire as well, she stated that she had seen 3 people today just like me with 10 year cards and couldn’t do anything for them? :huh: What happens if you’re a citizen and your passport expires? I was beyond annoyed at this point in time!

I explained again that I was entitled to an unrestricted SSN. I showed her a printout from the SSA site which states clearly in a step by step fashion that I was in fact entitled to an unrestricted SSN :) . At first the woman says “show me where it says you need an unrestricted SSN” in not quite a friendly tone.. she misreads the printout and I correct her.. she reads over it a few more times and leaves her desk. :lol:

A few minutes later she returns and begins placing my information into the computer, reading off the instructions on screen as she goes’s (someone just learnt something new I believe?). I fill out an SS-5 and she asks me to sign and states my new card should be with me shortly.

I leave happy but very annoyed at the arrogance of this “public servant”. :wacko:

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My wife applied today for her SSN at our local office, they refused to check if she was already in the system, but accepted the application without argument and said you will get your card in 2 weeks.

The Journey Home
04/27/2009 - POE at JFK (Quick and Easy!!!!)
05/07/2009 - Applied for SSN
05/09/2009 - Welcome Letter Received
05/14/2009 - SSN Received
05/11/2009 - GC Production Ordered
06/12/2009 - GC Production Ordered (AGAIN ?!?!?!)
06/19/2009 - Alien Registration Approval notice email
06/22/2009 - 2 Year Green Card Received!!!!!!

Naturalization
02/06/2013 - Application Sent
02/13/2013 - NOA (Priority Date Feb 8th)
02/13/2013 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
02/21/2013 - Early Bio Appt. (Original March 15th)
02/26/2013 - Place Inline for Interview

04/24/2013 - Interview scheduled

05/31/2013 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

XX/XX/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.