uzzmet

Called by ICE just after I filed my I130 and I485 forms.

91 posts in this topic

Timeline

I sure learned a lot from this. Happy for you! :dance: :dance:

Good luck with your visa journey.

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Where's asdfg? :lol:

Hope the rest of your journey goes smoothly, uzzmet. :thumbs:

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Where's asdfg? :lol:

Hope the rest of your journey goes smoothly, uzzmet. :thumbs:

I am here. I posted (see below) yesterday after OP returned, but since no one directly addressed my questions I decided to move on.

Doesn't USCIS review the very same docs during the interview? And why would ICE do it while USCIS has jurisdiction over the case?

Very odd.

Edited by asdfg

I-485/I-130 filed: January 26,2012 (130/485 sent to Chicago lockbox, transferred to MSC, field office Baltimore, MD).

I-130 Approved: June 25, 2012

I-485 RFE issued: June 25, 2012

Contacted offices of Honorable Senator Ben Cardin and Barbara Mikulski at the end of July.

I-485 DECISION MADE on August 03, 2012 , LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER CONTACTING THE SENATOR'S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ON CASE STATUS!

I-485 WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: 08/08/12

Green Card in Mail: 08/11/12

Isn't it not only possible, but fairly likely, that ICE had been notified about him as an F-1 overstay, possibly by his school - and, given the timing of the ICE call (which seems to be just a coincidence), ICE did not have knowledge of his pending AOS application, and that the purpose of calling him in was merely to either verify that he is, in fact, out of status and essentially deport him OR verify that he is currently in some sort of legal status, and verify that his marriage is legitimate, and that's that?

Occam's Razor. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Isn't it not only possible, but fairly likely, that ICE had been notified about him as an F-1 overstay, possibly by his school - and, given the timing of the ICE call (which seems to be just a coincidence), ICE did not have knowledge of his pending AOS application, and that the purpose of calling him in was merely to either verify that he is, in fact, out of status and essentially deport him OR verify that he is currently in some sort of legal status, and verify that his marriage is legitimate, and that's that?

Exactly. A matter of the overstay as the trigger.

I personally don't believe AOS hardly pending had anything to do with a call from an officer. They have to make arrangements beforehand. I'm assuming(which ofcourse is a big assumption) that it takes time to look into a case file and get the facts straight before contacting a person.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Unlikely. If ICE got the I-901/SEVIS subject reported it could do one of two things (provided it was unaware of OP's pending 130/485 petition):

1. Put the OP name on radar and ignore it (not actively pursue at the moment)

2. Send OP an NTA.

OP would then have to appear (per NTA requirement) and show reason why he still should be authorized to stay in US.

ICE calling someone and inviting for a quick chat in such circumstances is unheard of.

One thing that could be troublesome for OP is if , whether by coincidence or not, ICE initiated the removal proceedings before or at the time of OP filing 130/485.

This would automatically shift jurisdiction from USCIS to EOIR and OP would either be advised of the same during his scheduled interview or he would get a notice from USCIS that he was no longer under their jurisdiction. ICE would then try to prosecute the case and argue that OP is trying to circumvent the law and avoid being deported , the OP would have a burden to prove the contrary in court before the judge.

But OP claims something quite different (casual call from ICE to come to their main office look at his docs).

No matter how you look at it, it's very very odd and unusual for ICE to conduct their business in such fashion.

P.S. Also, try to google "ICE called to check the I-20" or for similar phrases. You will get plenty of links, titles varying from ice cream all the way to how to locate someone detained by ICE. I browsed many pages and not a single mention of someone being called by ICE. Usually, if you google for anything immigration related you get hundreds or thousands of links , including many forum posts where various individuals ask or describe similar cases. Try to find one like OP describes and share here the link if you don't mind.

I-485/I-130 filed: January 26,2012 (130/485 sent to Chicago lockbox, transferred to MSC, field office Baltimore, MD).

Contacted offices of Honorable Senator Ben Cardin and Barbara Mikulski at the end of July.

I-485 DECISION MADE on August 03, 2012 , LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER CONTACTING THE SENATOR'S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ON CASE STATUS!

Filed: Timeline

P.S. Also, try to google "ICE called to check the I-20" or for similar phrases. You will get plenty of links, titles varying from ice cream all the way to how to locate someone detained by ICE. I browsed many pages and not a single mention of someone being called by ICE. Usually, if you google for anything immigration related you get hundreds or thousands of links , including many forum posts where various individuals ask or describe similar cases. Try to find one like OP describes and share here the link if you don't mind.

I got this phone call on Friday. I googled every possible phrases to find something similar to my situation. Everyday at least 12 hours. I got nothing. I started this topic here to see if someone had the same problem. Thousands of people read it but no one replied back with a similar story. I went to an immigration lawyer who is one of the bests in his field to get an idea. Even he had never heard something like this for 20 years in his professional life.

I know it's odd or weird or whatever you call but it's not something I just made up to kill some time online. It's as real as the money I paid for lawyer which is more than our rent.

At the interview (I would say interrogation) he didn't explain why I was called. And it wasn't a conversation like I would feel comfortable to ask why I was brought there. I know it was my right to ask about it but I also knew their authority is strong enough to change someone's life in every direction. I'm sorry I don't have the answer of your questions. I wish I had.

I got this phone call on Friday. I googled every possible phrases to find something similar to my situation. Everyday at least 12 hours. I got nothing. I started this topic here to see if someone had the same problem. Thousands of people read it but no one replied back with a similar story. I went to an immigration lawyer who is one of the bests in his field to get an idea. Even he had never heard something like this for 20 years in his professional life.

I know it's odd or weird or whatever you call but it's not something I just made up to kill some time online. It's as real as the money I paid for lawyer which is more than our rent.

At the interview (I would say interrogation) he didn't explain why I was called. And it wasn't a conversation like I would feel comfortable to ask why I was brought there. I know it was my right to ask about it but I also knew their authority is strong enough to change someone's life in every direction. I'm sorry I don't have the answer of your questions. I wish I had.

Dude, only you know what happened to you the last few days. I did not say you made this up to kill time. Only said I was highly skeptical and found it very odd that your case was handled in such a way and that it appears very unusual to a layman as me.

It sounds as if someone claimed that ,let's say ,a Police officer stopped them out of the blue walking on the street and asked questions , such as where they are going, whether they have a passport on them and etc.

Neither of the described elements are impossibility per se (a law enforcement officer with probable cause has a power to detain or question anyone wherever they find them, Federal private contractors or field officers do casually approach and speak to subjects or witnesses in the course of doing their jobs, police officers routinely question people where are they going or where they come from when they pull them over for traffic violations and there are plenty of other circumstances where one is being asked to show a passport,like when boarding a plane or landing at airport/POE, but it is the sense of something completely out of pattern in the described event [when you put it in the context of what we know of when and under which circumstances certain things happen] that makes one skeptical and asking "how could this be?"

Now this does not give me enough grounds to state categorically that you are a mere troll, only that I found it to be very odd and unusual.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

asdfg, I think if there's a lesson here, it's that one can't always find the answers to an immigration problem on Google.

And that when you are up against The Man, it's a good idea to get professional help.

asdfg, I think if there's a lesson here, it's that one can't always find the answers to an immigration problem on Google.

And that when you are up against The Man, it's a good idea to get professional help.

I understand that some posters on public forums (I am not naming names or making a personal statement,this is not about anyone in particular, it's just a general note of impression left after reading some posts on public forums) , so I understand some posters come from despotic third world countries , where there is indeed "The Man" who can do as he pleases with little to no regard to existing laws, abuse and demean and humiliate the citizens for pleasure as infamous Emperor of Rome Caligula would do.

Thus, even after coming to USA, these individuals project their own tyrannical government system upon the US , hence they are trembling, with fear and apprehension that "The Man" can just do to them as he pleases.

These individuals would do favor to themselves, as well as to United States, by according to our system of government greater Honor and understanding that we have no Chavez, Assad or Ghaddafi style "The Man" ruled form of government here where anyone vested of public trust can do to us as he/she pleases. Instead, WE THE PEOPLE electorally decide WHO our man will be and we put men there (Be it in ICE, USCIS, or any other Government Agency) to be IN OUR SERVICE, NOT to fear and tremble that some dumbduck will arbitrarily and without any legitimate grounds abuse his powers and do us harm for no existing reason.

This is a s far as "The Man" part of the reply concerned.

As to my reply to the OP, notice that I have made no mention of need or absence of a need for the professional help, I didn't even delve into the OP other than questioning how could what OP describes really take place? I am still very skeptical of OP account , though I refrained from calling him a troll or deliberately making the story up.

I wish OP lots of luck and best of what life has in store for him.

To the rest: HONOR your newly adopted Country, The United States of America!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every from of tyranny over the mind of man." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Edited by asdfg

I understand that some posters on public forums (I am not naming names or making a personal statement,this is not about anyone in particular, it's just a general note of impression left after reading some posts on public forums) , so I understand some posters come from despotic third world countries , where there is indeed "The Man" who can do as he pleases with little to no regard to existing laws, abuse and demean and humiliate the citizens for pleasure as infamous Emperor of Rome Caligula would do.

Thus, even after coming to USA, these individuals project their own tyrannical government system upon the US , hence they are trembling, with fear and apprehension that "The Man" can just do to them as he pleases.

These individuals would do favor to themselves, as well as to United States, by according to our system of government greater Honor and understanding that we have no Chavez, Assad or Ghaddafi style "The Man" ruled form of government here where anyone vested of public trust can do to us as he/she pleases. Instead, WE THE PEOPLE electorally decide WHO our man will be and we put men there (Be it in ICE, USCIS, or any other Government Agency) to be IN OUR SERVICE, NOT to fear and tremble that some dumbduck will arbitrarily and without any legitimate grounds abuse his powers and do us harm for no existing reason.

As to my reply to the OP, notice that I have made no mention of need or absence of a need for the professional help, I didn't even delve into the OP other than questioning how could what OP describes really take place? I am still very skeptical of OP account , though I refrained from calling him a troll or deliberately making the story up.

I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every from of tyranny over the mind of man." ~ Thomas Jefferson

:unsure:

:unsure:

:bonk:

Filed: Timeline

It's nice that you have this ideology but unfortunately you're looking at what happens daily in the US via tainted glasses.

Gross abuse of power by civil servants as well as over reaching in judicial system happens every single day.

It's nice that you have this ideology but unfortunately you're looking at what happens daily in the US via tainted glasses.

Gross abuse of power by civil servants as well as over reaching in judicial system happens every single day.

Are you saying hereby that the United States of America is a tyranny ruled by despotic civil servants and overreaching Judicial System where gross abuse is a norm of the day?

Is that what you are saying?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.