v_student

two passports

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys,

I am holding two passports. One of them is from a country under VWP, and in the other passport I have a 10y B1-B2 visa.

Would it be possible for me to enter the us under VWP for 3 months, leave the us after that period of time, and return back on my B1-B2 visa for some other period of time?

What does the law say? What is the practice?

Any advice

thx in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It is YOU that is not allowed to live in the US without the correct visa not a passport. The general rule is that YOU must stay out longer than you are in. So if you try your little scheme to enter for more than the 6 months max a year , You will find your visitors visa cancelled and You will no longer be able to use VWP either.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

It is YOU that is not allowed to live in the US without the correct visa not a passport. The general rule is that YOU must stay out longer than you are in. So if you try your little scheme to enter for more than the 6 months max a year , You will find your visitors visa cancelled and You will no longer be able to use VWP either.

well, does the law apply to the number of passports or the person?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The person . If you get thrown out while travelling on passport A You are the one that can't enter so you wouldn't be able to use the other passport. IF you tried you could get a lifetime ban. The laws are always about the person not the passport.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

it isn't 2 passports you have, it is 2 VISAS. You can try if you don't mind having your VWP taken away forever, your visitor visa cancelled.. It is about the time the person spends here, not the separate visas. Trying to circumvent US immigration law could get you a lifetime ban. Choice is yours.

Edited by mimolicious

well, does the law apply to the number of passports or the person?

You can have as many passports as your entitled to. BUT. The problem is when you try to trick immigration. Your plan to enter on the VWP for 3 mths, leave and try to reenter on your B2 soon after is you trying to deceive customs and border protection (CBP). If they think you're trying to 'pull something' they will either:

-give you a hard time at the land border/airport, give you a warning, make a note in their system but still allow you entry.

-give you a hard time, give you a warning, make a note of your trickery in their system and send you back home.

-give you a hard time and ask you to sign papers stating that you are giving up your B2 and inform you that you can't you the VWP to enter the US again then send you back.

-only ask you a couple questions, cancel your visa, say no more VWP for you and back home you go.

If you try to lie about anything you did having have to do with the VWP, your B2, when was the last time you entered the US etc you could jeopardize being able to enter the US ever again.

Don't try to be slick.

It's the person, not the passport. When you get caught you'll be banned from the US for life for abuse of your privilege.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

It's the person, not the passport. When you get caught you'll be banned from the US for life for abuse of your privilege.

ok guys. i did not say that I'm going to do so. I just wanted to know what If i enter the us that way. I did not say that I want to lie the uscis, and so, I just asked what THE LAW says. that is all.

thank you.

Edited by v_student

The laws pertain to the person, not their passports, we told you that. That's the LAW.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.