Blank_1

While on Tourist Visa - Cruise?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My friend from Central America will be arriving in a few weeks into Miami on a tourist visa which I assume will be single entry? and I was wondering about us taking a cruise while he is here on his tourist visa. I searched online and found only that you could visit Mexico or Canada but nothing else and I have contacted several Cruise agents and they do not know.

So, anyone here know the answer or where to find it?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My friend from Central America will be arriving in a few weeks into Miami on a tourist visa which I assume will be single entry? and I was wondering about us taking a cruise while he is here on his tourist visa. I searched online and found only that you could visit Mexico or Canada but nothing else and I have contacted several Cruise agents and they do not know.

So, anyone here know the answer or where to find it?

If it is single entry, then he can only use it once to enter the US.

ANY CRUISE will require him to leave US territorial waters. (There is no such thing as a cruise that stays in US territorial water the entire trip. He will leave the US at some point while on the cruise.) He will be reinspected when he returns to the US. If his visa is single use, then he will not be allowed into the US a second time.

Edited by aaron2020

I doubt his visa is single entry but you should figure that out before going.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

If it is single entry, then he can only use it once to enter the US.

ANY CRUISE will require him to leave US territorial waters. (There is no such thing as a cruise that stays in US territorial water the entire trip. He will leave the US at some point while on the cruise.) He will be reinspected when he returns to the US. If his visa is single use, then he will not be allowed into the US a second time.

What would they do in this case? Drive him to the airport and put him on a plane home? Or would he have to simply stay on the cruise boat.... <vbg>

I told him instead of buying an airline ticket home he should just take a cruise home and get off when it gets to his country. Be the same price and a lot more fun! I am just not really sure what would happen to his proof that he left the USA if he comes back in the future!

Anyway, I will ask need to ask him if it is Single or Multi entry.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

What would they do in this case? Drive him to the airport and put him on a plane home? Or would he have to simply stay on the cruise boat.... <vbg>

I told him instead of buying an airline ticket home he should just take a cruise home and get off when it gets to his country. Be the same price and a lot more fun! I am just not really sure what would happen to his proof that he left the USA if he comes back in the future!

Anyway, I will ask need to ask him if it is Single or Multi entry.

He gets to go home at his expense. He buys the ticket home. He created the problem for himself, then he pays to get himself home.

If he cannot arrange his non-admission, then he could be detained by immigration.

DON'T GO ON THE CRUISE IF HE HAS A SINGLE ENTRY. HE WILL CREATE PROBLEMS FOR HIMSELF AND US IMMIGRATION DOES NOT CARE BECAUSE HE KNOWINGLY IS GETTING HIMSELF INTO TROUBLE.

What would they do in this case? Drive him to the airport and put him on a plane home? Or would he have to simply stay on the cruise boat.... <vbg>I told him instead of buying an airline ticket home he should just take a cruise home and get off when it gets to his country. Be the same price and a lot more fun! I am just not really sure what would happen to his proof that he left the USA if he comes back in the future!Anyway, I will ask need to ask him if it is Single or Multi entry.

This is the key here. If it's multiple entry, no problem. single entry, big problem. It should say "Entries: M" or "Entries: 1" I believe. Most tourist visas are multiple entry.

Usually, entrants are just stopped at the border and refused entry if by land. At airports, it is generally the airline's job to not let them on the flight if they don't have a valid visa - If he still got on the flight, it would be on the airline to fly him back. As for cruises, I don't know. I would assume the cruise checks his passport before entry, and refuse to allow him to board if he doesn't have a valid visa for the places he's going. (A used single entry visa is not a valid visa).

If he is still allowed to board, and refused entry at the port of entry in the US, I don't know what will happen - Only that he won't be allowed to enter the country, unless it's to a detention center.

Edited by Jay Jay

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

A. The cruise ship will not let him on unless he has a visa to re-enter the USA.

B. Getting off of the cruise ship that is on a closed USA loop in a country other than the USA violate the Jones Act and he will be fined $300.00 or more. The ship simply charges it to your credit card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.