Galilea

RFE for Birth Certificate

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Finally, yesterday we got the RFE letter. We had seen online that it was sent on 12/20 and it really startled us to find out what it was about: "Submit a copy of the applicant's foreign birth certificate issued by the appropriate civil authority (...) and an English translation".

The funny thing is that we sent my BC back when we filed in December. We actually included 2, an original and a copy along with the English translation and the translator's (a friend fluent in both Spanish and English) affidavit.

What makes things worse is that the RFE doesn't say what they need to see: did they lose my BC or did I send an invalid one?

So, the one I sent is a multilingual, short version provided by the Dept. of Justice in Spain, with its official stamp and signature. I was also given a longer document, which is basically a copy of the manuscript page where my birth was recorded. I did not send this one. Now I'm wondering if I should send again the short, multilingual version along with the "manuscript" copy or if there is something else I'm missing here.

Doing some research I have read that some people get the translation notarized or done by a certified translator. Is this necessary? Also, other Europeans mention the Hague apostille for the BC (mine doesn't have it).

Anyone else got an RFE for the same matter? What kind of BC did you send? Thank you very much for your help!

AOS from J-1

12/05/2012: AOS package sent.

12/12/2012: Checks cashed.

12/15/2012: Received I-797C receipt notices.

12/26/2012: Received biometric appointment notice.

1/3/2013: Walk-in biometrics, Des Moines, IA.

1/4/2013: Received I-485 RFE letter.

1/16/2013: RFE reply sent.

1/30/2013: Case Status changed to Testing and Interview.

2/6/2013: EAD & AP approved.

2/14/2013: EAD & AP combo card received

2/19/2013: Received Interview notice (April 8th)

Finally, yesterday we got the RFE letter. We had seen online that it was sent on 12/20 and it really startled us to find out what it was about: "Submit a copy of the applicant's foreign birth certificate issued by the appropriate civil authority (...) and an English translation".

The funny thing is that we sent my BC back when we filed in December. We actually included 2, an original and a copy along with the English translation and the translator's (a friend fluent in both Spanish and English) affidavit.

What makes things worse is that the RFE doesn't say what they need to see: did they lose my BC or did I send an invalid one?

So, the one I sent is a multilingual, short version provided by the Dept. of Justice in Spain, with its official stamp and signature. I was also given a longer document, which is basically a copy of the manuscript page where my birth was recorded. I did not send this one. Now I'm wondering if I should send again the short, multilingual version along with the "manuscript" copy or if there is something else I'm missing here.

Doing some research I have read that some people get the translation notarized or done by a certified translator. Is this necessary? Also, other Europeans mention the Hague apostille for the BC (mine doesn't have it).

Anyone else got an RFE for the same matter? What kind of BC did you send? Thank you very much for your help!

The birth certificate must include the names of both of your parents.

Canadians also have 2 types of birth certificates, one with the parental info and one without. Immigration requires the one with parental info.

What does the certificate you sent have on it?

Filed: Timeline

I don't know, sounds to me this will be enough...when I sent my birth certificate I did not make myself, or a good friend translate it as I felt it might stir some issues, and I decided to pay a bit more and have an official translator translate it. Then I know I cannot get hurt for having a friend translate it, or having I translate it. I have lived in the US since I was 6 years old so my English is actually way better than my native language (I'm also European origin), but still, I wanted to play safe. I think now that you have a more official birth certificate translation you're better off. But this is my opinion. So, yes, have an official translation from an official translator...not just a friend...good luck!

Timeline

The birth certificate must include the names of both of your parents.

Canadians also have 2 types of birth certificates, one with the parental info and one without. Immigration requires the one with parental info.

What does the certificate you sent have on it?

Hi Hikergirl!

Thank you very much for your reply.

The certificate I sent only includes my parents' complete names. The rest of the information refers to me.

The longer version, which is a copy of the original manuscript page, has also my grandparents' names, my parents date and place of birth, their marriage date and place, their address at the time of my birth and some other official annotations.

It sounds like USCIS may want this last document. What do you think?

AOS from J-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi Hikergirl!

The certificate I sent only includes my parents' complete names. The rest of the information refers to me.

The longer version, which is a copy of the original manuscript page, has also my grandparents' names, my parents date and place of birth, their marriage date and place, their address at the time of my birth and some other official annotations.

According to their website they want the following from Spain:

Available. Birth certificate "Certificado de Nacimiento" may be obtained from the Juzgado Municipal of the district of birth. In the Madrid area contact the Registro Civil Unico, Calle Pradillo 66, Madrid 28002.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9740

Is that the one you sent?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Hikergirl!

Send the long version and an English translation of it. No need to pay for a translation service. This does not make it better or safer, since it is not required by USCIS. All you need is someone fluent in both languages, it can even be the USC or foreign spouse themselves. My husband did his own with no problems. You just need to include the 'Certification by Translator' : http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

Taken directly from this USCIS page: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ff053d146a7ee010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

According to their website they want the following from Spain:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9740

Is that the one you sent?

Definitely. The problem is that Spain gives two different BC types, so I may have sent the wrong one.

AOS from J-1

Timeline

Send the long version and an English translation of it. No need to pay for a translation service. This does not make it better or safer, since it is not required by USCIS. All you need is someone fluent in both languages, it can even be the USC or foreign spouse themselves. My husband did his own with no problems. You just need to include the 'Certification by Translator' : http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

Taken directly from this USCIS page: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ff053d146a7ee010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Thank you for your advice. For what I'm learning, the RFE may have to do with the short version of my BC. I really don't think it's related to the translation as we followed the USCIS instructions that you mentioned ('Certification by Translator').

AOS from J-1

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi! I thought I would post about my RFE reply. Just to be on the safe side, we requested an info pass appointment. The agent that reviewed our paperwork couldn't understand why we had gotten the RFE, and said that the he would have accepted the birth certificate we originally submitted... Ha! That was helpful! Maybe they did lost the one I sent!

Anyway, we sent copies of both my short and long BC along with translations and certifications (by a friend fluent in both Spanish and English). Our USCIS case status on-line changed today to Testing and Interview! Yay! Waiting now for an interview date.

Thank you very much to everybody who shared their opinion!

AOS from J-1

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi All

My wife got an RFE on the Birth Certificate saying the translation is not certified, send a certified translation.

She was born in Kuwait and we got the translation done from Kuwait.

i am planning to get a translated copy from any one of the below sites.

Please advice if there is a better way

http://www.certifiedtranslate.com/

http://www.online-languagetranslators.com/

http://www.foreigndocumenttranslation.com/contact-us

http://thecertifiedtranslation.com/

http://www.mycertifiedtranslations.com/

Time line

Oct 2009- got Married

June 2010- POE Newark H1B

July 2012 Perm applied

Sep 2012 Perm approved

Oct 2012 Medical evaluation with Civil Surgeon. TB skin test & Blood test cleared.

Nov – 6 2012 My attorney submitted I 140 & I 485 for me and 485 for my wife

Nov - 8 2012 Texas Center received the application

Nov - 14 2012 NOA sent

Nov - 19 2012 NOA for AOS , AP, EAD received for me and my wife

Nov - 21 2012 Biometric appointment notice received (appointmnet Date Dec-12-2012)

Dec - 01 2012 Got a text and email that my AP and EAD are approved and Card in production

Dec - 03 2012 Another text and email that my AP and EAD are approved and Card in production

Dec - 05 2012 (6 am) Got a text that they have mailed my card to the address on my file

Dec - 05 2012 (6 pm) Got a text that USPS has picked up my card and will be delivered in 7 days

Dec - 06 2012 (3 am) Got a Text and email that my Case is approved an notice has been Mailed

Dec - 07 2012 Got my EAD card in Mail

Dec - 12 2012 to Jan-03-2012 India Trip

Feb - 01 2013 I 140 Approved.

Feb - 05 2013 485 Card Production

Feb - 06 2013 Card mailed via USPS

Feb - 08 2013 Got the card.

Filed: Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Hi All

My wife got an RFE on the Birth Certificate saying the translation is not certified, send a certified translation.

She was born in Kuwait and we got the translation done from Kuwait.

i am planning to get a translated copy from any one of the below sites.

Please advice if there is a better way

http://www.certifiedtranslate.com/

http://www.online-languagetranslators.com/

http://www.foreigndocumenttranslation.com/contact-us

http://thecertifiedtranslation.com/

http://www.mycertifiedtranslations.com/

Time line

Oct 2009- got Married

June 2010- POE Newark H1B

July 2012 Perm applied

Sep 2012 Perm approved

Oct 2012 Medical evaluation with Civil Surgeon. TB skin test & Blood test cleared.

Nov – 6 2012 My attorney submitted I 140 & I 485 for me and 485 for my wife

Nov - 8 2012 Texas Center received the application

Nov - 14 2012 NOA sent

Nov - 19 2012 NOA for AOS , AP, EAD received for me and my wife

Nov - 21 2012 Biometric appointment notice received (appointmnet Date Dec-12-2012)

Dec - 01 2012 Got a text and email that my AP and EAD are approved and Card in production

Dec - 03 2012 Another text and email that my AP and EAD are approved and Card in production

Dec - 05 2012 (6 am) Got a text that they have mailed my card to the address on my file

Dec - 05 2012 (6 pm) Got a text that USPS has picked up my card and will be delivered in 7 days

Dec - 06 2012 (3 am) Got a Text and email that my Case is approved an notice has been Mailed

Dec - 07 2012 Got my EAD card in Mail

Dec - 12 2012 to Jan-03-2012 India Trip

Feb - 01 2013 I 140 Approved.

Feb - 05 2013 485 Card Production

Feb - 06 2013 Card mailed via USPS

Feb - 08 2013 Got the card.

Filed: Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Hello,

My husband's birth certificate is both in English and French on the same birth certificate but it is a certified copy like it doesn't have a seal or anything on it will the accept it and how will he get a certified copy if they dont does anyone know??

Thank you!

Timeline

This is what USCIS considers a "certified" translation. You don't need a professional to do it. You, or someone you know who is fluent in both languages, can do it: (copied from http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextoid=ff053d146a7ee010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD)

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

Edited by Galilea

AOS from J-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.