Bad_Daddy

Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Cos. for $1B

25 posts in this topic

ht_idaho_inmates_ll_130102_wmain.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/idaho-inmates-sue-beer-wine-companies-1b-190211526--abc-news-topstories.html

By Ashley Jennings | ABC News – 6 hrs ago

Five Idaho inmates are blaming alcohol for the crimes that put them in prison and are suing some of the nation's top liquor and wine companies for $1 billion.

Keith Allen Brown, Steven Thompson, Woodrow Grant, Cory Baugh and Jeremy Brown all claim that alcohol led them to their crimes and they should have been warned of the beverages' addictive nature.

"If I was not an alcoholic, the shooting would never have happened," Jeremy Brown said in his affidavit. Brown, 34, is serving a 20- to 30-year sentence for a 2001 shooting that seriously injured a man.

The plaintiffs' crimes range from manslaughter to grand theft. They are currently serving time at Idaho's Kuna facility.

Their lawsuit, filed in Boise's U.S. District Court last month, targets eight defendants, including Anheuser-Busch, Coors, Miller Brewing and the owner of Jim Beam whiskey, American Brands. The inmates claim the companies are responsible for their crimes and should have put warning labels on their products.

"I have spent a great deal of that time in prison because of situations that have arose because of people being drunk, or because of situations in which alcohol played a major role," Jeremy Brown said in his affidavit. "At no time in my life, prior to me becoming an alcoholic, was I ever informed that alcohol was habit forming and addictive."

Keith Brown is serving a 15-year prison sentence after shooting a man to death five years ago. Baugh and Thompson are both serving 3 to 7-years for grand theft and drug convictions. And Grant is serving up to 7-years for drug and aggravated battery convictions.

All five men share the same story about booze.

"I fear the day I am released from prison," Grant, 27, said in his affidavit. "I do not know if I can be a productive member of society and still control the desires and craving to use alcohol."

The inmates do not have an attorney, but Boise attorney Joe Filicetti told ABC News affiliate KIVI that alcohol addiction and its side effects are pretty common knowledge.

"If you put these guys through depositions and you ask them 'What do you know about alcohol?' I think it's pretty common knowledge that it's addictive," Filicetti told KIVI. "It's well known to be addictive. It's well known to be something that causes you to reduce your inhibitions and to do things you otherwise wouldn't do."

The beer and wine companies have not responded to ABC News for comment.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Pathetic.

Criminals are bad enough. But criminals who don't take responsibility for their own actions are something else.

Edited by Evylin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

huh ? This stuff is covered, at least for a day, in middle school phys-ed classes . Maybe they skipped that day?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There must be some way men can file a class action suit in general against women. They also cause us to do things we wouldn't otherwise in our good sense do, and spend money we wouldn't otherwise spend.

We gotta at least go after bikini or lingerie companies.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Pathetic.

Criminals are bad enough. But criminals who don't take responsibility for their own actions are something else.

You mean like the people who sue McDonalds for hot coffee, or banning fast food because it can make people fat? How about NYC ban on super sized cola's?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

You mean like the people who sue McDonalds for hot coffee, or banning fast food because it can make people fat? How about NYC ban on super sized cola's?

Yes, all equally stupid lawsuits. Though luckily, hot coffee and fast food doesn't put people in jail. These guys need to own up to what they did. They're criminals, they made their choices.

Yes, all equally stupid lawsuits. Though luckily, hot coffee and fast food doesn't put people in jail. These guys need to own up to what they did. They're criminals, they made their choices.

Yet a bar can be sued for over serving.

sigbet.jpg

Yup.

Brilliant

sigbet.jpg

And what does that have to do with these CRIMINALS blaming their actions on something else?

I agree this lawsuit is bogus, but if you look at the other bogus lawsuits that were won then this might just have some legs. Add the fact that the libs are the ones who have helped screw the tort laws in this country and this is what you end up with today.

sigbet.jpg

I agree this lawsuit is bogus, but if you look at the other bogus lawsuits that were won then this might just have some legs. Add the fact that the libs are the ones who have helped screw the tort laws in this country and this is what you end up with today.

Right. Of course.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

ht_idaho_inmates_ll_130102_wmain.jpg

admitting to the entire world you're a loser - priceless.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

admitting to the entire world you're a loser - priceless.

But potentially extraordinarily costly! The way the media makes a household name of the losers who become mass murderers helps recruit those who feel their only way to fame and glory is to shoot up a kindergarten and get a high body count! The firearms industry and the NRA function as enablers.