baduk

Does the U.S. spouse need to attend the interview for CR1visa??

15 posts in this topic

We are finally at the last stage of CR1 visa. My wife is scheduled to interview at the US embassy in Seoul. I hear some rumors(?) that they are more likely to reject you if you don't come with your spouse. Do I need to fly to Korea just for the interview ?? Our case is very solid and I can't see how they will reject just because the spouse is not present ??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We are finally at the last stage of CR1 visa. My wife is scheduled to interview at the US embassy in Seoul. I hear some rumors(?) that they are more likely to reject you if you don't come with your spouse. Do I need to fly to Korea just for the interview ?? Our case is very solid and I can't see how they will reject just because the spouse is not present ??

The spouse being there should improve the chances of getting an approval. It shows you actually care about your spouse. People on here have said that it does help. :yes:

10/30/2012 - Sent I-130
11/06/2012 - NOA1
12/29/2012 - NOA2 (53 days)

2/4/2013 - NVC received
2/22/2013 - Case number/IIN
10/2/2013 - Case Completed at NVC
xx/xx/2013 - Interview scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The spouse isn't required to be there. Most beneficiaries attend without their SO. I think being there will improve the chances, I don;t think the visa will be denied merely because you don;t show up, as long as you have a strong relationship and you can prove it. As you stated you have a very strong marriage.

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The spouse being there should improve the chances of getting an approval. It shows you actually care about your spouse. People on here have said that it does help. :yes:

There are many many spouses who care who are simply unable to attend

Yes, it is helpful to be there with your spouse as well as extremely comforting for them.And yes, I am sure it does look good. I actually reside in the Philippines so I was able to attend the 2 minute interview with my wife very easily. However, I fully understand that some people just can't be at the interview. If you can't attend, I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT IT AT ALL!!!! It is definitely NOT required. Especially if you have a solid case. Don't believe the rumors. I too had the same question and found no where on here that someone was denied for their spouse not attending. If someone did claim that, I would seriously suspect they had other issues pending. The #1 cause of denial of a CR-1 IR-1 visa according to the Department of State is failure to comply with the Affidavit of Financial Support (form 864). As well, it's not listed on any official US Government website that the spouse need to be there. Find globehoppermama on here as they are currently going through the process in Seoul as well. So if you can't go, relax, then let me know that you got approved!

August 29, 2012: Filed Form I-130 DCF Manila

September 18, 2012: Notice of Approval, USCIS Manila, Forwarded to Immigration Visa Section, Manila

September 20, 2012: Assigned Case # at Immigrant Visa Section,IV Manila sent DS230 and DS2001 to residence here.

October 5, 2012: Emailed scanned copies of DS230 and DS 2001 to IVManilaAttachments@state.gov

October 10, 2012: Called Immigrant Visa section at USEM, they had received the emailed scanned copies and gave a green light to make interview appointment date. Did that online. Interview set for November 14.

October 30, 2012: St. Lukes Medical Exam, PASSED

November 14, 2012 interview: APPROVED

November 19, 2012: Passport and visa received by courier

TOTAL TIME FROM FILING I-130 TO VISA APPROVED: 2 MONTHS 14 DAYS

POE Dallas, Texas 2/25/2013. Home, Kansas City, Missouri

The spouse isn't required to be there. Most beneficiaries attend without their SO. I think being there will improve the chances, I don;t think the visa will be denied merely because you don;t show up, as long as you have a strong relationship and you can prove it. As you stated you have a very strong marriage.

Thanks ! I thought so too.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Well, I care but I don't plan to attend my husbands interview. I only get 4 weeks of vacation a year. I plan to go after he gets his visa and fly back with him. I think that is a better use of them and so does he. Not everyone can make lots of overseas trips either they can't get the time off work or they don't have the money and I am sure the person doing the interview understands that.

USCIS - 66 days ROC - 139 days from sent to approved
12/3/2012 - I-130 delivered to Chicago 5/20/15: mailed I-751 package to California office
12/4/2012 - NOA1 NBC (Missouri Service Center MSC) 5/22/15: Date on NOA1
12/6/2012 - Check cashed 8/26/15: Bio appointment

12/8/2012 - Received paper NOA1 10/06/15: Received Email card was being processed
12/20/2012 - Case number showed up on USCIS website
1/29/2013 - Called USCIS and case is still at NBC
2/8/2013 - Received an Email that we were approved on 2/7/13
3/5/2013 - Told file may have been "misplaced" to email NOA2 to NCVresearch
3/7/2013 - ISO at the USCIS opened a service request to try to track down
if and when the file was shipped. Should hear something before 3/26 ( so she said)

NVC - 119 days NVC to Visa in hand
03/11/2013: NVC received (31 days from NOA2 at USCIS till received at NVC )
03/25/2013: NVC Case no. assigned
03/27/2013: Paid AOS fee (shows paid 3/29/13)
04/01/2013: AOS Sent
03/27/2013: Received IV Bill
03/27/2013: Paid IV Bill (shows paid 3/29/13)
04/01/2013: Sent IV Packet
04/02/2013:IV Packet Delivered
04/16/2013: Case Complete (37 days from received to case complete)
04/16/2013: Received Case Complete Email

05/13/2013: NVC status "In Transit"

051/20/2013: NVC status "Ready"
06/24/2013: Interview date - Orange card... wanted copy of USC passport

07/08/2013: Visa received in the mail

08/03/2013: POE

1XJBm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Well, I care but I don't plan to attend my husbands interview. I only get 4 weeks of vacation a year. I plan to go after he gets his visa and fly back with him. I think that is a better use of them and so does he.
It may be an irrelevant plan if the embassy questions your absence, and the visa is refused as a result. You could be ordered to attend a second (Stokes) interview. In general, if the petitioner is on the consular premises during the beneficiary's interview, it can turn a possible refusal into a fighting chance, or a borderline decision into a positive one.
Not everyone can make lots of overseas trips either they can't get the time off work or they don't have the money
True.
and I am sure the person doing the interview understands that.
In many instances, this is very, very untrue. And, have you talked with that person? Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

It may be an irrelevant plan if the embassy questions your absence, and the visa is refused as a result. You could be ordered to attend a second (Stokes) interview. In general, if the petitioner is on the consular premises during the beneficiary's interview, it can turn a possible refusal into a fighting chance, or a borderline decision into a positive one.True.In many instances, this is very, very untrue. And, have you talked with that person?

Well, When I started this process I emailed the Embassy in Ankara. I was told I could not go to the interview and it would be a waste of my time to go because I would not be allowed to attend. I know that each Embassy is different. You need to know what your Embassy will allow/want. It is not going to be the same for each interview / Embassy. I am not worried either way. We have a strong file. And I am using a very good lawyer.

USCIS - 66 days ROC - 139 days from sent to approved
12/3/2012 - I-130 delivered to Chicago 5/20/15: mailed I-751 package to California office
12/4/2012 - NOA1 NBC (Missouri Service Center MSC) 5/22/15: Date on NOA1
12/6/2012 - Check cashed 8/26/15: Bio appointment

12/8/2012 - Received paper NOA1 10/06/15: Received Email card was being processed
12/20/2012 - Case number showed up on USCIS website
1/29/2013 - Called USCIS and case is still at NBC
2/8/2013 - Received an Email that we were approved on 2/7/13
3/5/2013 - Told file may have been "misplaced" to email NOA2 to NCVresearch
3/7/2013 - ISO at the USCIS opened a service request to try to track down
if and when the file was shipped. Should hear something before 3/26 ( so she said)

NVC - 119 days NVC to Visa in hand
03/11/2013: NVC received (31 days from NOA2 at USCIS till received at NVC )
03/25/2013: NVC Case no. assigned
03/27/2013: Paid AOS fee (shows paid 3/29/13)
04/01/2013: AOS Sent
03/27/2013: Received IV Bill
03/27/2013: Paid IV Bill (shows paid 3/29/13)
04/01/2013: Sent IV Packet
04/02/2013:IV Packet Delivered
04/16/2013: Case Complete (37 days from received to case complete)
04/16/2013: Received Case Complete Email

05/13/2013: NVC status "In Transit"

051/20/2013: NVC status "Ready"
06/24/2013: Interview date - Orange card... wanted copy of USC passport

07/08/2013: Visa received in the mail

08/03/2013: POE

1XJBm5.png

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks ! I thought so too.

I decided to fly there anyway to support my wife. As you said, I am 99.999 sure my wife would have been approved anyway, but me, a US citizen being there did make the interview much smoother... It cost me $1500 for airfare, but my wife did appreciate it...

Yes, it is helpful to be there with your spouse as well as extremely comforting for them.And yes, I am sure it does look good. I actually reside in the Philippines so I was able to attend the 2 minute interview with my wife very easily. However, I fully understand that some people just can't be at the interview. If you can't attend, I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT IT AT ALL!!!! It is definitely NOT required. Especially if you have a solid case. Don't believe the rumors. I too had the same question and found no where on here that someone was denied for their spouse not attending. If someone did claim that, I would seriously suspect they had other issues pending. The #1 cause of denial of a CR-1 IR-1 visa according to the Department of State is failure to comply with the Affidavit of Financial Support (form 864). As well, it's not listed on any official US Government website that the spouse need to be there. Find globehoppermama on here as they are currently going through the process in Seoul as well. So if you can't go, relax, then let me know that you got approved!

I decided to fly to Korea for the interview anyway. My feeling is, as most stated, my wife would have gotten the visa anyway without me being there. However, a US citizen spouse taking the oath together with the wife did make the interview much smoother. The interview was so short and smooth, it was just a formality. My wife was careful, but I exchanged jokes with the officer in a friendly manner... This information will all be irrelevant with Obama changing the absurd immigration law in 2013...

Well, When I started this process I emailed the Embassy in Ankara. I was told I could not go to the interview and it would be a waste of my time to go because I would not be allowed to attend. I know that each Embassy is different. You need to know what your Embassy will allow/want. It is not going to be the same for each interview / Embassy. I am not worried either way. We have a strong file. And I am using a very good lawyer.

Yes, I was worried about that, but my wife asked around and found out they allow the spouse to be there in Korea.

I had heard the same thing ..... that the USC is not necessarily allowed in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

i think it really depends on the embassy/consulate. a lot of people are saying that USC doesn't have to go, or even isn't allowed in, but i've heard a lot of horror stories from people who filed here in ecuador and whose spouses went to the interviews alone, and were denied solely because the USC wasn't present. they had to schedule a new interview, the spouse had to be dragged down to south america, etc etc. i'm definitely going to my husband's interview, just in case - and i've heard that in morocco, it's a similar story with casablanca - but i think it really depends on where you are. in south korea, it might not have been a problem.

Edited by oohpartiv

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

I had heard the same thing ..... that the USC is not necessarily allowed in.

In London they do not expect the USC to attend. In fact you must make a special request to put the USC on the list of people allowed in the door. This sometimes results in a miscommunication where the USC's name is not on the list and they have to stay outside. It doesn't seem to make any difference in practice whether the spouse is present in London or not.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

In London they do not expect the USC to attend. In fact you must make a special request to put the USC on the list of people allowed in the door. This sometimes results in a miscommunication where the USC's name is not on the list and they have to stay outside. It doesn't seem to make any difference in practice whether the spouse is present in London or not.

Thanks for the info! My husband and I happened to be discussing this issue this weekend, so your reply helps us understand things a bit better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.