maybeifancyu

Name chnge and traveling

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys, I have the same questions, except I changed my last name (after marriage) AND first name (have court order). Will I have a problem entering the states if my GC has different first name AND last name? I have the marriage certificate and court order with me. I changed the first name because my birth name is very difficult for English speakers to pronounce, I go to lots of academic seminars and prefer to have my English name - I have used it since I was 6.

Hey guys, I have the same questions, except I changed my last name (after marriage) AND first name (have court order). Will I have a problem entering the states if my GC has different first name AND last name? I have the marriage certificate and court order with me. I changed the first name because my birth name is very difficult for English speakers to pronounce, I go to lots of academic seminars and prefer to have my English name - I have used it since I was 6.

As has been stated over and over again here on VJ, your travel documents MUST match the name on the government issued ID used for travel. In the US for domestic travel you can use a passport, GC, or state issued DL and the name on the ticket MUST match the name on the document you chose to use. For international travel there is only really one official government issued document you can use--your passport and the name on the ticket MUST match the name on the passport. Now for GC holders trying to gain re-entry to the US, you will have to prove to the airline people that you have authorization to re-enter the US before they let you board the airplane. So you have to convience them that the person named on the passport and the person named on the GC are one and the same. In your case you may want to call the airlines to ask them what they would like to see--the marriage certificate and/or court order. This will be an issue until you get your passport changed.

Have a god trip,

Dave

I understand the airline tickets have to match the passport - I always book my tickets with my passport name.

So yes, my question is only about whether a court order is enough to prove I am the person with the green card that has a different name from my passport. I have no way to change the name on the passport until I get the U.S. citizenship. Has anyone here had any experience with that?

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody knows about this? I know I need to book the tickets in my passport name. Just don't know if having court order is enough to prove I'm the same person because the name on GC looks totally different. Please help!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

do you have a document that contains all names? if so, bring that when travelling.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

do you have a document that contains all names? if so, bring that when travelling.

I can bring the document, will the CBP officers be very strict? We're travelling to China, I heard that they won't let you in the airport (when you leave) unless you have a valid visa/GC to travel to the US. I can get my document translated, but will this be enough for the Chinese airport?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Thread split, as the OP has a slightly different situation~~~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I understand the airline tickets have to match the passport - I always book my tickets with my passport name.

So yes, my question is only about whether a court order is enough to prove I am the person with the green card that has a different name from my passport. I have no way to change the name on the passport until I get the U.S. citizenship. Has anyone here had any experience with that?

My wife's passport has a different (maiden) name than her green card and it has never been a problem. a couple times at Heathrow the annoying ITS security clods have had to actually press buttons and use their brains which delayed things a few minutes but it has never been a problem in nearly a dozen trips. That being said you want the ticket to match the passport (as you note) not hte green card.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why not use one name on all of your documents (passport, green card, driver's license, state ID)??

You can go to your country's consulate who has jurisdiction in your state so you can change the name on your passport.

Make an INFOPASS at USCIS so you can change the name on your GC.

Go to DMV and change the name on your Driver's License or State ID.

Bring original and photocopies of your marriage certificate, birth certificate and the name change court order.

Edited by apple21

Why not use one name on all of your documents (passport, green card, driver's license, state ID)??

You can go to your country's consulate who has jurisdiction in your state so you can change the name on your passport.

Make an INFOPASS at USCIS so you can change the name on your GC.

Go to DMV and change the name on your Driver's License or State ID.

Bring original and photocopies of your marriage certificate, birth certificate and the name change court order.

All my American documents (including the green card, drivers license) are in my new name already. However, my country doesn't let me change my name due to various reasons.

So I have to fly with my passport name (old name) while my green card is in the new name. I don't plan on changing back my name on all my American documents...

I will bring my marriage certificate, and the name change court order when I travel. The problem is that there is no way to change the passport, and the name just looks completely different except my last name on passport is my middle name on green card.

I hope what I said makes sense...

Timeline

Anyone has some insights to this?

For getting on the plane in China -

you need to show:

1. ticket

2. passport

3. green card

so, if the green card name not match what's in passport, then show the marriage document (which usually shows all names)

and

name in ticket must match name in passport.

Good Luck !

The screeners in the China Airports have basic, rudimentary english reading skills - they barely can match letter for letter.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

For getting on the plane in China -

you need to show:

1. ticket

2. passport

3. green card

so, if the green card name not match what's in passport, then show the marriage document (which usually shows all names)

and

name in ticket must match name in passport.

Good Luck !

The screeners in the China Airports have basic, rudimentary english reading skills - they barely can match letter for letter.

Thanks Darnell, my problem is that the marriage certificate doesn't even show my new name.

For example, my name in passport is AAA BBB. And the marriage certificates says AAA BBB married to someone with last name CCC. So now my name would be AAA BBB CCC. However, I then changed my name at the court from AAA BBB CCC, to DDD BBB CCC. And of course the green card only shows the new name with middle initial DDD B CCC.

So now, my passport says AAA BBB, and green card says DDD B CCC. Completely different.

I'm sure most people know about changing last name after marriage, but I don't know if they'll understand that I changed my first name as well.

I understand the rule about booking tickets exactly like the name on passport. I just don't want any problem with the airlines or China Airport.

Timeline

so bring the marriage certificate and the court order in addition to yer passport and greencard.

Good Luck !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.