14 posts in this topic

Hi helpful members...

Just wondering if it will be a problem that we didn't file for a EAD/AP combo card when filing for AOS from K-1. When doing up the paperwork, we just didn't bother with the AP forms since I don't plan to leave the US for any reason before receiving my Green Card. My EAD has been filed for. If there was ever a family emergency and I needed to return home, I was told I'd just need to go to the consulate and ask for the AP due to the nature of emergency and show proof. They'd then give me the AP.

Seems everyone on this forum just filed for both and received the combo card. Will the USCIS just print a EAD card or does it need to be a combo?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You were foolish not to file for AP seeing it's free, a really simple form to complete, and just extra photocopies of what you've already copied... but not filing for it won't affect your EAD application. It will simply say "does not serve as I-512" or words to that effect on the card.

Out of interest a fellow Aussie applied for expedited AP due to her father being on his death bed. She received the "expedited" AP the day of his funeral so she was not there for his passing or the funeral. I believe she did NOT file for AP and that was the delay. It is my understanding that if you've already filed they can print on the spot, but if you didn't file then you need to file and then they can expedite it.

For anyone reading - Don't assume they'll approve it on the spot. Assume they WON'T and plan accordingly. My father passed this year and was sick when I left in 2009. I had already said my goodbyes and told my family I might not be able to return in time. Thankfully I was able to return for his funeral this year but I made my decision, as did my fellow Aussie friend, that my father would have understood.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry to hear your family emergency. We got bad advice and did not file for AP and filed later no issues. Good Luck with all of this.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Good news is that I don't have a family emergency. After reading more and more on the forum I realized that most everyone applies for both the EAD and AP together. We too were given bad advice about AP and was told it wasn't necessary. We will file now just in case there is ever an emergency before the GC shows up.

Thanks!

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good news is that I don't have a family emergency. After reading more and more on the forum I realized that most everyone applies for both the EAD and AP together. We too were given bad advice about AP and was told it wasn't necessary. We will file now just in case there is ever an emergency before the GC shows up.

Thanks!

That's a great idea. Just include a copy of the NOA1 so that the fee is waived (as well as the other copies of documents), and also there is no need to include a "supplement" as the NOA1 for AOS is your "reason" for filing for AP.

Because you filed later than the EAD you may not get the combo card and may instead get a paper AP. It's still valid (and that's what I have/had) but just be aware and check your EAD when you get it for the wording "serves as I-512" or something like that.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

That's a great idea. Just include a copy of the NOA1 so that the fee is waived (as well as the other copies of documents), and also there is no need to include a "supplement" as the NOA1 for AOS is your "reason" for filing for AP.

Because you filed later than the EAD you may not get the combo card and may instead get a paper AP. It's still valid (and that's what I have/had) but just be aware and check your EAD when you get it for the wording "serves as I-512" or something like that.

:thumbs:Yep got the paper, it worked.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I also did not apply for AP but is now considering to file. My interview is this month and I have not received my EAD. Should I wait for my EAD card first or file asap for AP? Also, is there payment for this

There would be no fee if you send it in with the NOA receipt notice from filing the I-485. However, if your interview is this month, I would not bother now. It takes 2-3 months for EAD/AP, and it won't be needed after you are approved for a green card.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

my wife applied for AP with AOS and never used it before green card was received.

I say go ahead and file it. You never know what might happen and when you will get your green card.

K1 Visa

4/13/2011 I-129F Petition Sent
4/14/2011 I-129F received at Lewisville, TX
4/18/2011 Electronic NOA1 received
4/19/2011 Check Posted
4/21/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy received- Notice Date: APR 15,2011
8/4/2011 NOA2 Text Notification
8/22/2011 Packet 3 Received
8/25/2011 Packet 4 Received
9/8/2011 Interview
9/16/2011 Visa Received
9/24/2011 POE

AOS

10/25/2011 AOE/I-765/I-131 sent
11/4/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy received- Notice Date: 10/31/2011
11/30/2011 Bio Appointment
12/27/2011 I-765/I-131 approved
1/6/2012 EAD/Advanced parole card received
9/30/2012 Service Request opened with USCIS - no response
10/26/2012 Infopass opened at Atlanta Office
10/23/2012 I-765 EAD renewal sent
10/23/2012 Requested US Senator for Assistance with case
11/1/2012 Received via mail being adjudicated
11/15/2012 AOS approved
11/21/2012 Green card received
11/27/2012 Sent letter cancellation of I-765 EAD renewal and biometrics

ROC

9/18/2014 ROC/I-751 sent
9/22/2014 NOA1 Receipt
10/23/2014 Bio Appointment

4/13/2015 Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Can anyone file for the AP for any reason? If I wanted to fly back to do some wedding planning in Canada, would I still be allowed to use my AP or does it have to be an emergency (ie death)? I plan on going on doing my POE at the end of Feb, legally get married at the end of March and file my AOS immediately. I'm concerned my GC won't come in time for me to go back to Canada to finalize wedding details. Thanks for any help you can offer me! :)

Can anyone file for the AP for any reason? If I wanted to fly back to do some wedding planning in Canada, would I still be allowed to use my AP or does it have to be an emergency (ie death)? I plan on going on doing my POE at the end of Feb, legally get married at the end of March and file my AOS immediately. I'm concerned my GC won't come in time for me to go back to Canada to finalize wedding details. Thanks for any help you can offer me! :)

You can file AP for any reason (in fact you don't need a reason) when you are filing with or after AOS. However it will take 60-90 days to approve. For EMERGENCY AP you need an emergency, and it may or may not be granted. It is approved much faster than normal AP.

Timeline

You can file AP for any reason (in fact you don't need a reason) when you are filing with or after AOS. However it will take 60-90 days to approve. For EMERGENCY AP you need an emergency, and it may or may not be granted. It is approved much faster than normal AP.

Can the normal AP be used more than once or just once? If I use it once, do I need to apply again if I need to use it a 2nd time?

Can the normal AP be used more than once or just once? If I use it once, do I need to apply again if I need to use it a 2nd time?

There is an option on the I-131 form for single or multiple entries, select multiple entries and you can use it more than once

Edited by Lainie B

Timeline

There is an option on the I-131 form for single or multiple entries, select multiple entries and you can use it more than once

Is there any chance I could get denied entry back into the States if I get approved AP multiple entries? My POE is planned for end of Feb, we want to get legally married in SF at the end of March and I'd be applying for AOS beginning of April. We are hoping to have our wedding ceremony with friends in Canada on Aug 31. If my AOS GC takes longer than 3 months, I may need to use the AP twice - one for the food tasting and sorting out final wedding details and the 2nd time for the ceremony on Aug 31. Will the AP be ready within 90 days for sure or can it take longer? Thanks for answering my questions! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.