pugsly

gift ideaas to bring to s.o. family

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Did anybody bring gifts to their S.O's family when they first came from america to meet them? I am visiting him and his family in Pakistan and I am wondering if i should bring something with me. I can crochet anything and do some knitting. I was wondering if doyles are good. I would make those hairy scarves but i think its too hot there for that.

I just wanted to make something for his mom , his 2 sister in laws and his 16 year old sister. Does anybody know what girls in pakistan like? Or should i just not even bother to bring anything. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My husband and I both took little items from our cultures. We both packed up loads of sweets for the children that they had never tried, jars of jams and jellies, the uk doesn't have grape and here we don't get black currant. As a gag gift of sorts my hubby brought my mother a thimble with the Queen on it. He also brought her Yorkshire tea, some crumpets. We have done books on the walking trails of the US to his dad, just personal items that can carry a relation of ones own country seem to be appreciated.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

The men and boys love anything americanized in baseball hats or tshirts. The ladies all love scarves, jewelry or chocolates from USA. Perfume or cologne is a hit with the ones that like to wear scents too.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Ah yes, the grape jelly I brought back to the UK with me went down a treat.

I love the stuff.

I love black currant jam. I have found it locally in a Fresh Market, but my darling Brit refuses to pay $4 a jar :lol: ! We just used up the last jar a couple of weeks ago, Tesco brand of course lmao I married a tight wad!

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I once packed a box with two types of Peanut Butter, crunchy and smooth. Also a jar of FLUFF (marshmello). The nieces loved this, ages 7, 8 and 13.

T-shirt for the 13 year old with NEW YORK on it. Baseball cap for the dad that had NYPD on it.

Mom, I got her slippers to wear around the house, also another time I brought her a nice nightgown.

Cologne is good, the older sisters got silkie pajama sets. Key chains and a CD for that had classic American songs about New York City. Oh and nice tote bags.

Andreas & Bridgett

3dflagsdotcom_greec_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

Kisses.jpg

January 29, 2006 - WE GOT ENGAGED!!

March 20, 2006- mail K-1 VISA (certified & return receipt).

March 22, 2006 - Vermont office receives our application.

March 23, 2006 - NOA1

March 24, 2006 - Check is cashed

April 22, 2006 - Receive email from USCIS that RFE is mailed for more information.

April 28, 2006 - Receive RFE in the mail. Need final divorce decree from Andreas.

June 20, 2006 - 2nd RFE (IMBRA)

June 23, 2006 - Received RFE (IMBRA) in the mail.

June 24, 2006 - FedEx IMBRA RFE to Vermont office.

June 27, 2006 - Vermont Office received IMBRA RFE.

July 3, 2006 - Touched

July 12, 2005 - Fedex request for extension for the 1st RFE.

July 17, 2006 - Deadline for 1st RFE.

July 18, 2006 - Touched

July 19, 2006 - Touched

July 20, 2006 - Touched

August 6, 2006 - Touched

August 17, 2006 - Touched and email that a letter has been sent with regards to RFE.

August 23, 2006 - Letter received, we got the extension I requested, they allowed us 3 MORE MONTHS!!!

October 27, 2006 - Papers mailed by courier from Athens.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ah yes, the grape jelly I brought back to the UK with me went down a treat.

I love the stuff.

I love black currant jam. I have found it locally in a Fresh Market, but my darling Brit refuses to pay $4 a jar :lol: ! We just used up the last jar a couple of weeks ago, Tesco brand of course lmao I married a tight wad!

Nowt wrong with Tesco!!! :lol: Every little helps!! ROFL!!

Edited by mags

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am in alaska so i wonder if alaskan t-shirts would be ok for the men. I guess i just have to go to wal-mart and look around for something. Thanks

:P I wouldn't do that - they'll never wear them. A baseball cap that says Alaska is a little better. You can't go wrong with food - especially if it's something native or unique. :star:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

yes go with the cultural things... I brought all sorts of stuff from art to lollies and chocies... actually if you have a particular fav chocie that you might miss while your away.. take a few for yourself...

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Alaska?

Smoked salmon! It travels, keeps, and everyone but me thinks its the bee's knees.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

My international friends here say their biggest associations with the U.S. are New York City and cowboys. Apparently to the random friend -of-friends, we all talk like the President and trot around in cowboy boots. (Whenever one of my UK friends tries to do an American accent, he ends up somewhere vaguely Texan.)

When my fiance first visited here, we went to New York and he came back loaded down with all the typical cheesy T-Shirts. Now that everyone knows me better, the gifts they ask for and arrange for tend to be things that they can't get in Canada. What does that translate to? Video games that release in the U.S. half a year earlier than in Canada.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I brought a small dig camera. it is the size of a small credit card. .and is actually a key ring. extremely simple. Holds about 45 pics. and can attach to the pc as a web cam. I understand that cams are extremely expensive.. so for us.. our simple $12 thing is rather sweet.

For the kids.. I sent in my care package.. Bubble Yum bubble gum.. in assortment of flavors. went to the candy isle and found all kinds of sweets specific for usa. all the silly things.. sour wierd. colorful etc.. you know the kind that change the color of your tongue... or give the extremely sour burst of flavor.

For Jan's parents I sent them a photo album book of Oregon and USA. I looked for a picture books with little words and more photos since she doesnt read english.

I was down at Big lots .. found some Pens that when you go write they light up ... the tops had disney characters on them.. each pen was like $1 each.. got mickey mouse, minnie, eyore, tiger, peterpan, catn hook, tinkerbell.

I have also sent lip glosses for his daughter.. she is 14.. sent bonnie bell, flavor glosses.. and some cool american brand nail polishes.

For His son I have sent sun glasses.. (his request) a small mp3 player.. nothing fancy.. but holds like 200 or so songs. i think like 256 mb or somthing. not quite a ipod but still perfect for gift.

I have also taken with me .. Godiva Chocolates.. .. yummm...

When I travled I went to Victoria Secrets.. got all sorts of their travelsizes of their shampoo, shower gel, hair mouse, lotion and even some laundry detergent made for my silkies..

Instead of myself packing it all back with me.. I gave those to Jan.. and also what I didnt use as well.,... asking him to share with the ladies... silly man.. .he ended up keeping all that for himself.. cause he wanted to continue smelling me... awwwww...

ohhh... when i went to China... one big thing that was of big interest ... was playing card.. with US National Park animals on it.

If you are coming from Alaska.. check out some of the Parks gift shops... you may find some very specific wild life photos and/or stickers..

Some parks gift shops also have some rather nice cd's of scenes of usa.. those are also nice.. .. try finding something specific from where you are..

enjoy

Love isn't love unless it is expressed;

caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;

sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Alaska?

Smoked salmon! It travels, keeps, and everyone but me thinks its the bee's knees.

That's what I brought with me to MOrocco along with some crackers. They had never had it before and they loved it!