one...two...tree

Which Parts of the Bible Are Negotiable?

107 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It sounds as if you want a cut and dried answer to the question, "which parts of the Bible are negotiable?" Like there's a textbook out there with all the answers. What parts do YOU think are negotiable?

If you are a Christian who believes in Sola Scriptura, then the question makes sense and you'd answer accordingly.

Filed: Timeline

Will you please stop derailing this thread? The Catholic Church has doctrine and hierarchy. Most people realize that. This topic is directed at those who are non-denominational Christians, but others Christians are welcome to explain which parts of the Bible that are negotiable. I don't need a lesson in Catholic doctrine. I'm merely asking an honest and simple question.

Why are you trolling Protestants? Blame Gutenberg for making it possible for the masses to find inspiration themselves, instead of being spoon-fed by a bunch of whoremongers and pedophiles.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Anyone?

As a work of fiction, all of its parts are negotiable. Many different flavors of religions edit it for content and format to suit their specific superstitious doctrines.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Why are you trolling Protestants? Blame Gutenberg for making it possible for the masses to find inspiration themselves, instead of being spoon-fed by a bunch of whoremongers and pedophiles.

I'm hoping for an honest and open discussion on the Holy Bible. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

FWIW - I thought it was Martin Luther who rejected the idea of a church being led by human authority, thereby adopting the concept of sola scriptura (by scripture alone).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are a Christian who believes in Sola Scriptura, then the question makes sense and you'd answer accordingly.

I'm a Christian but I don't know what Sola Scriptura means and I don't understand why this question is so important.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Filed: Timeline

FWIW - I thought it was Martin Luther who rejected the idea of a church being led by human authority, thereby adopting the concept of sola scriptura (by scripture alone).

Martin Luther was most concerned with the selling of indulgences.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/95_Theses

Timeline

I'm a Christian but I don't know what Sola Scriptura means and I don't understand why this question is so important.

Question: "What is sola scriptura?"

Answer: The phrase sola scriptura is from the Latin: sola havingthe idea of "alone," "ground," "base," and the word scriptura meaning"writings"—referring to the Scriptures. Sola scriptura means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian. The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).

Sola scriptura was the rallying cry of the Protestant Reformation. For centuries the Roman Catholic Church had made its traditions superior in authority to the Bible.This resulted in many practices that were in fact contradictory to the Bible.Some examples are prayer to saints and/or Mary, the immaculate conception, transubstantiation, infant baptism,indulgences, and papal authority. Martin Luther, the founder of the Lutheran Church and father ofthe Protestant Reformation, was publicly rebuking the Catholic Church for its unbiblical teachings. The Catholic Church threatened Martin Luther with excommunication (and death) if he did not recant. Martin Luther's reply was,"Unless therefore I am convinced by the testimony of Scripture, or by the clearest reasoning, unless I am persuaded by means of the passages I have quoted, and unless they thus render my conscience bound by the Word of God, I cannot and will not retract, for it is unsafe for a Christian to speak against his conscience. Here I stand, I can do no other; may God help me! Amen!"

The primary Catholic argument against sola scriptura is that the Bible does not explicitly teach sola scriptura. Catholics argue that the Bible nowhere states that it is the only authoritative guide for faith and practice. While this is true, they fail to recognize a crucially important issue. We know that the Bible is the Word of God. The Bible declares itself to be God-breathed, inerrant, and authoritative. We also know that God does not change His mind or contradict Himself. So, while the Bible itself may not explicitly argue for sola scriptura, it most definitely does not allow for traditions that contradict its message. Sola scriptura is not as much of an argument against tradition as it is an argument against unbiblical, extra-biblical and/or anti-biblical doctrines. The only way to know for sure what God expects of us is to stay true to what we know He has revealed—the Bible. We can know, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that Scripture is true, authoritative, and reliable. The same cannot be said of tradition.

http://www.gotquesti...-scriptura.html

Edited by Lincolns mullet

I'm hoping for an honest and open discussion on the Holy Bible.

better hope in one hand in sh*t in the other, as long as you're picking & choosing which posts are acceptable and which are derailing..nothing open about that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you're open to discussion and thinking on a scholarly level, here is a video on the reliability of the New Testament. You should get the idea that most Protestants view the whole Bible as inspired (breathed) by God. Here is something for you to look into for yourself.

For reference, "The word of God" referred to in this video is a term used synonymously with the Bible.

The speaker is mostly what would be considered orthodox (traditional) in the Protestant view which holds to Sola Scriptura (meaning that the Bible is the only thing that we can use to understand anything about God) and Tota Scriptura (the entire Christian Scripture is from God and is therefore true).

There is a lot of info on this subject so have fun looking into it! this is just to start you off.

you may need to turn it up in certain parts to hear videos the speaker is showing in his presentation.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

No. What I am saying is that if a person wants to know God they should read the Bible daily with an open mind and talk to God in prayer daily about whatever God puts on one's heart, and they should confide in a godly and trusted person about questions as well. It wouldn't hurt to ask God to place such a person in one's life if a person doesn't already know such a friend. I am not saying there are or aren't negotiable parts. I am saying how a person can figure it out one way or the other. And that is what I would tell my son if someone in school told him that there are negotiable parts to the Bible. If he would seek the answers on his own, it would mean a lot more to him and better him much more than me to just tell him "This is the way it is!" In the end it is a relationship, not something that can be forced or rubber stamped. I would probably also share some of my personal thoughts with him, if he wanted me to, and probably would ask him if he would like to pray with me about it all. That's it. All I got to say bout it.

Your initial response came off as dismissive and a non-answer. Forgive me if I misinterpreted your intentions. If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that it is entirely up to each person to read the Holy Bible and decide for themselves which parts are negotiable?

Edited by Brijo

Timeline

No. What I am saying is that if a person wants to know God they should read the Bible daily with an open mind and talk to God in prayer daily about whatever God puts on one's heart, and they should confide in a godly and trusted person about questions as well. It wouldn't hurt to ask God to place such a person in one's life if a person doesn't already know such a friend. I am not saying there are or aren't negotiable parts. I am saying how a person can figure it out one way or the other. And that is what I would tell my son if someone in school told him that there are negotiable parts to the Bible. If he would seek the answers on his own, it would mean a lot more to him and better him much more than me to just tell him "This is the way it is!" In the end it is a relationship, not something that can be forced or rubber stamped. I would probably also share some of my personal thoughts with him, if he wanted me to, and probably would ask him if he would like to pray with me about it all. That's it. All I got to say bout it.

Okay, I think I'm understanding where you are coming from - that discernment of what is God's true commandments within the Holy Bible is accessible to anyone who sincerely asks for God's enlightenment of the Truth. And as a Catholic, I believe that is certainly an important way towards enlightenment, however, there are lots of Christians who will say they don't care if you sincerely believe God has enlightened you to the Truth if your interpretation of Holy Scripture is at odds with the majority. David Koresh convinced himself and others that God had enlightened him to the Truth of the Bible. Would you say that he and his followers were sincere? And if not, how would talk to a fellow Christian who has a different idea of about what is God's Truth in the Bible than yours?

Timeline

I've got a question for OP:

If the whole Bible is a word from God, how any part of it can be negotiable?

Good question and thanks staying on topic.

I'm Catholic and we approach the Holy Scripture contextually. We do believe that the Bible is the Word of God (inspired by God), but we still recognize that the authors of the Bible were human beings (not perfect). We don't believe that God dictated to the authors, word for word, of what He wanted them to write. Jesus, the Son of God, didn't author any of the books, while his disciples did.

Then how do we discern what is God's Truth from the author's imperfectly human writings? Well, the Catholic Church relies on tradition, and we believe that Scripture alone (sola scriptura) is not the only source of God's Truth. We believe that when Jesus said to Peter: Mtt 16:18-19

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church,*and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven.* Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Jesus meant it as clear as day, the creation of His Church, led by Peter and his successors as Pope.

Edited by Lincolns mullet