Timeline

It isn't a misdemeanour.

Yes it is for the first offense.

Title 8 Section 1325.

http://www.ussc.gov/...Immigration.pdf

Page 35.

ILLEGAL ENTRY OR REENTRY - USSG §2L1.2

Federal law prohibits foreign nationals from entering the United States without

permission. A conviction for a first offense of illegal entry is a misdemeanor that is not covered

by the guidelines.84 Subsequent entries,85 reentry after deportation,86 and remaining in the United

States after being ordered deported87 are felonies covered by USSG §2L1.2.88 Section 2L1.2

provides for an enhanced sentence when the prior deportation was preceded by certain types of

convictions. This section addresses application issues arising under §2L1.2.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Isn't that ironic. Crossing the border illegally in itself is only a misdemeanor, but if you harbor the person committing the misdemeanor, it is a felony.

While it is ironic, no one in this topic entered without inspection.

The same kind of irony is used for employers hiring illegals.

EWI cases don't go unpunished. They get deported and have a hard time getting a proper visa. You can't really deport a US citizen(at least not a natural born citizen), hence the felony within US.

How old is the sister, and has she done anything to be tracked down by immigration?

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think the important things to pull out of this thread are that the sister should return home of her own volition (either way, she'll have problems getting back over here since she has overstayed and is obviously a risk in terms of trying to remain here illegally), and that you as her brother will go to jail or receive some other punishment (up to deportation, yourself) if you're found to be aiding in her attempts to remain here illegally. Now my question is why haven't you sent her on her way home already?!?!?!?! :bonk: :bonk:

Our K-1 Visa Timeline

• Jan 20th, 2012 - Mailed I-129F Package to VSC
  • Jan 31st, 2012 - NOA1 Received
  • Jul 11th, 2012 - NOA2 Received
  • Jul 17th, 2012 - Received at NVC/Case Number Assigned
  • Jul 19th, 2012 - Petition Sent to Casablanca Consulate
  • Jul 23rd, 2012 - Petition Received at Casablanca
  • Jul 27th, 2012 - Packet 3 Received
  • Sept 5th, 2012 - Interview (approved)
  • Sept. 7th, 2012 - Visa Received
  • November 16th, 2012 - POE: Atlanta, GA
  • December 1st, 2012 - Married
  • March 21st, 2013 - AOS Filed
  • March 29th, 2013 - I-485 NOA Received
  • June 19th, 2013 - Biometrics Appointment
  • July 11th, 2013 - EAD and AP Combined Card Received
  • September 20th, 2013 - NOID issued for missing immunization records
  • September 26th - 27th, 2013 - Obtained updated immunization, physical, sealed records from Civil Surgeon
  • October 3rd, 2013 - Immunization records mailed to USCIS Charlotte Office
  • October 8th, 2013 - Immunization records received at USCIS
  • October 29th, 2013 - I-485 Application to adjust status to Marriage Visa approved (no interview)
  • November 7th, 2013 - Restricted Green Card arrived
  • July 31st, 2015 - I-751 Removal of Conditions filed
  • August 3rd, 2015 - Received ROC NOA1
  • August 25th, 2015 - Biometrics appointment completed
  • July 14th, 2016 - Application for 10-year visa approved; new card in production
  • July 22nd, 2016 - 10-year visa received
  • September 6th, 2016 - Filed N-400 petition for naturalization
  • September 9th, 2016 - N-400 petition for naturalization received by USCIS - Texas Lockbox (September 9th priority date)
  • September 16th, 2016 - NOA received for N-400
  • October 7th, 2016 - Biometrics appointment
  • October 25th, 2016 - placed in line to receive naturalization interview date
  • February 27th, 2017 - interview scheduled
  • March 3rd, 2017 - NOA received for interview date
  • April 3rd, 2017 - naturalization interview - PASSED!
  • April 21st, 2017 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

EWI cases don't go unpunished. They get deported and have a hard time getting a proper visa. You can't really deport a US citizen(at least not a natural born citizen), hence the felony within US.

How old is the sister, and has she done anything to be tracked down by immigration?

Thanks for pointing that out. I must have temporarily lost my reading comprehension skills. :wacko:

Filed: Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm still curious about the same thing........ ICE doesn't usually go around looking to deport someone without reason. There's plenty of illegals that commit serious crimes that aren't even deported. There has to be more to this...

Husband's AOS Journey from VWP Entry

6/22/2012 Boyfriend entered US under VWP

9/15/2012 We got married!

9/21/2012 Stamp on passport expired

9/28/2012 Mailed I-130 & I-485 packets to Chicago Lock box via USPS Priority

10/2/2012 Received Date

10/4/2012 Notice Date

10/9/2012 Received text & email notifications for NOA (4 forms)

10/12/2012 Received hard copies of NOAs (all 4 forms- I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765)

10/15/2012 Received NOA with Biometrics Appointment

10/30/2012 Completed Biometrics (completed on date assigned)

12/11/2012 EAD & AP Approved

12/20/2012 EAD/AP Combo Card Arrived

2/6/2013 Notification for Interview

3/15/2013 Interview- APPROVED!!!! :)

Filed: Country: Malawi
Timeline

She is 36 and i am pretty sure she didn't do anything to get the immigration attention,I am really surprised why they were looking for her.

My sister is like millions of immigrants she entered this country legally and she wants to start a new life here in the US because i always remember when she first came here during her first visit (She went back to Morocco after the first visit by the way) and she told this is the first time i feel like I am living a respectful life and feel a lot of dignity. so all she needs is living a normal life in this country and be close to her family.

Filed: Country: Denmark
Timeline

She is 36 and i am pretty sure she didn't do anything to get the immigration attention,I am really surprised why they were looking for her.

My sister is like millions of immigrants she entered this country legally and she wants to start a new life here in the US because i always remember when she first came here during her first visit (She went back to Morocco after the first visit by the way) and she told this is the first time i feel like I am living a respectful life and feel a lot of dignity. so all she needs is living a normal life in this country and be close to her family.

Yes, your sister came here legally as a TOURIST. If she wanted to come here and start a new and better life, then she should have gone about it the proper way.

Husband's AOS Journey from VWP Entry

6/22/2012 Boyfriend entered US under VWP

9/15/2012 We got married!

9/21/2012 Stamp on passport expired

9/28/2012 Mailed I-130 & I-485 packets to Chicago Lock box via USPS Priority

10/2/2012 Received Date

10/4/2012 Notice Date

10/9/2012 Received text & email notifications for NOA (4 forms)

10/12/2012 Received hard copies of NOAs (all 4 forms- I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765)

10/15/2012 Received NOA with Biometrics Appointment

10/30/2012 Completed Biometrics (completed on date assigned)

12/11/2012 EAD & AP Approved

12/20/2012 EAD/AP Combo Card Arrived

2/6/2013 Notification for Interview

3/15/2013 Interview- APPROVED!!!! :)

Timeline

Thanks for pointing that out. I must have temporarily lost my reading comprehension skills. :wacko:

So how is it relevant to this topic? If not, then keep it in the general immigration related subforum, or off topic, otherwise you're ending up confusing people with OP's sister having EWI'd when it's not the case.

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everybody,

My sister came to the US on a tourist visa in 2011 and she overstayed.

This morning (As of 11/15/12) Immigration team came to my brother's house to look for her but fortunately or unfortunately she wasn't there because she moved to a different house.

- My question right now is what should we do to prevent her deportation (If this is what's going to happen)?

- Is it safe for her to go out now or should she hide (Which is very bad).

Please advise.

Noting you can do

She will spend time in a lockup when caught, as if they are looking for her now, there is a reason and yes they will find her.

As many others have said, she should go back on her own free will, and if she wants to come back, she needs to get married then file again, she will have a permanat red flag from this point forward will be considered a risk.

Also if you and your family are here as legal resident aliens, it's not worth loosing your rights to be here as well....

I can have you email a friend from guetimala that this exact same thing happens to his sisters, and the occupants of the house she was hiding...

Timeline

She might've been unlucky and just got busted for just overstaying. But one way or the other, immmigration noticed her. Since she has atleast 2 siblings in the US, I'm somewhat guessing that may be part of it. In that case, be a bit careful. Of course she's your sister but please don't jeopardize your own legal status, or your brother's for that matter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

So how is it relevant to this topic? If not, then keep it in the general immigration related subforum, or off topic, otherwise you're ending up confusing people with OP's sister having EWI'd when it's not the case.

If you read all the posts, it was pointed out by operator that harboring an illegal alien is a felony. I was pointing out the irony of the difference in penalties for someone that harbors someone here illegally, and someone that actually enters here illegally.

Try and keep up. I would suggest reading all the posts before commenting on one.

Edited by Karee

Timeline

If you read all the posts, it was pointed out by operator that harboring an illegal alien is a felony. I was pointing out the irony of the difference in penalties for someone that harbors someone here illegally, and someone that actually enters here illegally.

Try and keep up. I would suggest reading all the posts before commenting on one.

Yes, which is not off topic. At all. OP's brother had the sister staying. Therefore it's relevant to know the consequences.

I'm somewhat used to similar laws. A truck driver's boss gets a much more severe fine in my home country than the actual truck driver if speeding or not taking breaks throughout a whole day. Why? No one condones of the person higher up promoting that sort of behavior. I rarely use smilies but one might've helped. Not trying to be uptight - just trying to saty focused on OP's issue.

:ot2:

If you or your brother are US citizens, you can petition for her. It generally takes about 10 years. If your parents are over here, they may also petition for her, although it will also take several years. Please heed the other member's warnings about harboring someone who has overstayed their visa. It's very unusual for immigration come looking for overstay-ees unless they've committed crimes.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.