ICLDRIR

Is it OK to be a bit late to interview?

Arriving late to interview  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to be a bit late (15-30 min) to an AOS interview (in the US)?

• No, must be early or on time
    • Yes, 15-30 minutes won't make a difference
    • Yes, or even later, it doesn't matter too much what time you come

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife and I just got scheduled for our I-485 AOS (B1 to GC based on marriage) interview, scheduled for St Louis. Problem: It's scheduled for 10AM. My wife had planned to be out of town that day for her grad school graduation ceremony. I can change her flight so that she arrives the morning of interview, about 9:40am. The USCIS office is about 20 minutes from the airport, but we'd probably still be a bit late to the interview. Is that OK? Or a complete no-no? I don't want to reschedule if I don't have to; but I also want her to be able to attend her graduation.

I wouldnt risk it... I would rather reschedule than showing up late.....

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You should reschedule, or she shouldn't attend the ceremony.

You said you could have her arrive at 9.40am which makes me think the grad ceremony is the night before? If so she should catch the earliest flight she can possibly catch to get there with plenty of time.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry, I should clarify. I don't think rescheduling is possible, except for "emergencies such as your own illness or a close relative's hospitalization....Please be advised that rescheduling will delay processing...require some steps to be repeated...affect your eligibility for other immigration benefits..." (taken from the notice of action form)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Sorry, I should clarify. I don't think rescheduling is possible, except for "emergencies such as your own illness or a close relative's hospitalization....Please be advised that rescheduling will delay processing...require some steps to be repeated...affect your eligibility for other immigration benefits..." (taken from the notice of action form)

Rescheduling is possible... but like the form says can't really delay the process.

Honestly while her education is important, you gaining status and being "normal" is more important. This is about priorities. If she has the graduation same day, she shouldn't go. If she has it the day before and there's a flight available immediately after it's all over, then she should change her flight to that. Being late really isn't an option. They could consider you a no show and deny your case.

If there are no flights available earlier that morning or the night before, you could look into driving to a different airport (on either end of the connection), perhaps with a one-way car rental. Or if you have the means, support general aviation and charter a flight :)

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

My wife and I just got scheduled for our I-485 AOS (B1 to GC based on marriage) interview, scheduled for St Louis. Problem: It's scheduled for 10AM. My wife had planned to be out of town that day for her grad school graduation ceremony. I can change her flight so that she arrives the morning of interview, about 9:40am. The USCIS office is about 20 minutes from the airport, but we'd probably still be a bit late to the interview. Is that OK? Or a complete no-no? I don't want to reschedule if I don't have to; but I also want her to be able to attend her graduation.

If you know you will be late if everything goes well, then you definately will be late if there are travel problems. This is one of those life choices as to which is more important--immigration interview or graduation ceremony. I only attened my undergrad graduation. Grad school graduation is not that important to me so I did not go to either of mine. I would try to find a different flight that gets her to St. Louis much earlier, or look at other alternatives to arriving earlier--fly to ORD and drive to St. Louis, fly to MCI and drive to St. Louis, charter a flight, etc--if you choose not to reschedule the interview. This is up to you and your wife.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would not be late to my interview.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.