Danno

Anderson Cooper comes out as Gay and his show gets canned.

74 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Anderson Cooper Talk Show Won’t Return for a Third Season

anderson-decoder-blog480.jpg

The syndication arm of the Warner Brothers studio has decided that there will not be a third season of “Anderson,” the daily talk show hosted by Anderson Cooper.

Citing disappointing ratings, a studio executive, who insisted on not being identified because the studio had planned no official release on the decision, said on Monday that the entire talk television market has been struggling to build audiences. Mr. Cooper’s show, which is produced by Telepictures, will end after the summer of 2013.

The executive spoke because some of the stations that have been carrying Mr. Cooper’s show have begun making feelers about replacement shows, and the news was certain to leak out through one of them, the executive said.

The Warner Brothers syndication unit issued a statement on Monday:

“We are extremely proud of Anderson and the show that he and the entire production team have produced. While we made significant changes to the format, set and produced it live in its second season, the series will not be coming back for a third season in a marketplace that has become increasingly difficult to break through. We will continue to deliver top-quality shows throughout next summer.”

Mr. Cooper released his own statement:

“I am very proud of the work that our terrific staff has put into launching and sustaining our show for two seasons. I am also grateful to Telepictures for giving me the opportunity, and indebted to viewers, who have responded so positively. I look forward to doing more great shows this season, and though I’m sorry we won’t be continuing, I have truly enjoyed it.”

The decision was not a reflection of any lack of faith in Mr. Cooper, the executive said, but an acknowledgement of the business realities in daytime talk television.

The studio “could have renewed the show but could not create a viable economic business model to move forward,” the executive said.

Even Katie Couric’s much anticipated new talk show has not yet emerged as a bona fide hit, the executive said. And new shows with other hosts, including Jeff Probst and Ricki Lake, have fared poorly.

But Mr. Cooper, who is also a mainstay in prime time on CNN, had been expected to be a star in daytime talk when his show started last fall. After one year with sub-par ratings, the studio and Mr. Cooper instituted a series of changes including stressing same-day tapings as often as possible to deal with breaking subjects, and a new location for the studio.

Mr Cooper was on assignment for CNN in New Jersey Monday, covering Hurricane Sandy.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Liberals have generally had poor ratings in their TV and radio shows. Air America is only one example, NPR that is sure it cannot survive unless finded by the government, and nearly every other liberal radio or TV talk show has not made a go of it. I doubt Anderson Cooper's revelation of his sexuality has anything to do with it. He could have flown this show into the ground as a straight guy.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Liberals have generally had poor ratings in their TV and radio shows. Air America is only one example, NPR that is sure it cannot survive unless finded by the government, and nearly every other liberal radio or TV talk show has not made a go of it. I doubt Anderson Cooper's revelation of his sexuality has anything to do with it. He could have flown this show into the ground as a straight guy.

I didn't watch his show often but when it happened to be on I thought it was decent, most of the time it seems he held any bias in check.

William Penn

Timeline

I didn't watch his show often but when it happened to be on I thought it was decent, most of the time it seems he held any bias in check.

Had he been on FOX he would get ratings.

Gary And Alla

Fox always crushes in the ratings . Almost always 2x CNN and I am not sure how MSNBC stays in business, other than people watching for amusement or to see what kind of silly ####### some blathering liberal is about to spout. I suppose most of MSNBC's target audience is watching Montel , Jerry Springer or some other show suitable to their level of understanding.

Timeline

And yet Ellen has been openly gay for 15 years and just celebrated 10 years on air for her show

Yes she has been an exception in the liberal market. She also is on network TV, not cable news

Gary And Alla

Timeline

What a stupid post.

You mean topic or a post?

We all know actors who expose their homosexuality often are limited in roles they get, is it not possible he lost some "appeal" when he skipped out of the closet?

Often times these shows live or die over a few points in the ratings.

If he were doing a decorating show it might enhance his presumed knowledge on the topics but a number of people might in a Freudian kinda way finding him holding a microphone close to his mouth... too image rich.

:P

Mark my words.... he comes back as a talk show host, these folks do well in that field.... something about relating to that 25-50 female demographic.

William Penn

And yet Ellen has been openly gay for 15 years and just celebrated 10 years on air for her show

Ellen is a potentially attractive Female, with a hawt as heck girl friend. The whole gay thing really does not apply. Of course we have beat that hoarse to death.

Yes she has been an exception in the liberal market. She also is on network TV, not cable news

Yes - the OP is referring to Anderson Cooper's talk show being cancelled, which also aired on network TV, not his cable news show

90day.jpg

Timeline

Ellen is a potentially attractive Female, with a hawt as heck girl friend. The whole gay thing really does not apply. Of course we have beat that hoarse to death.

If only we could.

large_image-1.jpg

William Penn

Yes - the OP is referring to Anderson Cooper's talk show being cancelled, which also aired on network TV, not his cable news show

Daytime talk is a notoriously fickle beast, right? I mean, the article also says Katie Couric's show was tanking, as was Ricki Lake's. They're both straight women. Also Jeff Probst's, and he's straight too.

Have any of you actually watched Anderson Cooper's daytime network (not cable, NETWORK) show? It's not a political show. I saw it once. It helps to actually know what the subject matter of a program is before labelling it "liberal." It was utterly anodyne, which is probably why it sucked in the ratings.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

snellen-eye-chart.gif

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."