ncj

Do I need paternal fathers permission to bring stepdaughter

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi first time to post on here..My wife and stepdaughter are filipino, they have had their interviews at the embassy and we are waiting for a Cenomar requested from the US embassy. My question is, do I need to get consent from the paternal father to bring my step daughter to the US? He abandoned both of them when she was 1 year old, she is now 13. We dont even know where he is, we had to run a ad in the Manila paper when we had the annulment done to notify him.Just trying to be prepared, thanks if anyone has any info

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Is your wife the sole custodian? If she is than no you don't need his consent. If they got joint custody than yes.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

• 2 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is not true....US Citizens can petition for the step daughter or son as a child....and no permission is needed....I have an Immigration Lawyer tell me the same and friends who have gone through this without any permission slip needed.

Edited by yenom34

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Somewhat country dependent, my stepdaughter could not even leave Venezuela with her biological fathers consent. While he hasn't seen her in seven years, and wife had full custody, he still have visitation rights.

Besides that court paper giving his consent we also needed another piece of paper prepared by a notary showing the precise date, time, and flight number of the plane she was to board. Without this, she couldn't even board the plane. What the USCIS wanted to see, was the court paper giving his consent.

But this varies considerable with whatever agreement our Department of State has with some odd 200 different countries, and they all are different. Can go to the DOS site, look up your country, and learn the laws these guys came up with.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

This is not true....US Citizens can petition for the step daughter or son as a child....and no permission is needed....I have an Immigration Lawyer tell me the same and friends who have gone through this without any permission slip needed.

It is true. You are wrong on this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This thread is more then 2 yrs old and the OP has not been back just as long.

Thread closed to further replies.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.