peachzz

help!!social security number!!

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hello everyone!!

i will need some help!! :help: i came to New Jersey on 2 july and we get married on september 14.

we did the first part of the process(visa k1)with "help" of an attorney....it wasn´t much help at all,took days to replay my emails when i have doubts about filling the forms,send me the wrong form filled by my fiance :bonk: (thank God i realized his mistake before interview and ask for the rigth form but have to wait for he email me again when the days run fastand i need to send my package!)it was a pain in the a@s!ha ha..more than help us stress us more cause as i was waiting for answers that never come,i have to read a lot myself when we hire a lawyer to not deal with all that!!anyway....took a lot of money,time and more stress than if we do it ourselves!

soooooooooo......

we decide to do the second part (AOS)without him.(we dont have that much money that they ask,and we are not satisfied with his work)

NOW ...HERE COMES THE PROBLEM!!

since i came here we been dealing with a lot of stress: looking for a place to live ,moving from my husband´s mom house,then he got a new job ,so we married like two weeks before my visa expires....in a hurry ,and no money to party(anyway we are planning a nice wedding in Las Vegas...in the future! :dance: )

so once we are done with all that,i said ok...now we are married,time to start the AOS...(getting ready for another traumatic set of pappers!!ha ha!!and this time,with no help!!:o).....

and....

i found out that i should get my SS# before my I-90 expires!!(at that time i didnt even know what I-90 was!!)and...it was already expired!! :crying:

(29 september )so my question is?can i get it anyway?with my marriage certificate?or is too late??? :wacko:

(it sucks cause we were told that we should start to worry about papper work after we get married!)

so if you can tell me what i should do...i will really appreciate your help!! :help:

thanks!:)

hello everyone!!

i will need some help!! :help: i came to New Jersey on 2 july and we get married on september 14.

we did the first part of the process(visa k1)with "help" of an attorney....it wasn´t much help at all,took days to replay my emails when i have doubts about filling the forms,send me the wrong form filled by my fiance :bonk: (thank God i realized his mistake before interview and ask for the rigth form but have to wait for he email me again when the days run fastand i need to send my package!)it was a pain in the a@s!ha ha..more than help us stress us more cause as i was waiting for answers that never come,i have to read a lot myself when we hire a lawyer to not deal with all that!!anyway....took a lot of money,time and more stress than if we do it ourselves!

soooooooooo......

we decide to do the second part (AOS)without him.(we dont have that much money that they ask,and we are not satisfied with his work)

NOW ...HERE COMES THE PROBLEM!!

since i came here we been dealing with a lot of stress: looking for a place to live ,moving from my husband´s mom house,then he got a new job ,so we married like two weeks before my visa expires....in a hurry ,and no money to party(anyway we are planning a nice wedding in Las Vegas...in the future! :dance: )

so once we are done with all that,i said ok...now we are married,time to start the AOS...(getting ready for another traumatic set of pappers!!ha ha!!and this time,with no help!!:o).....

and....

i found out that i should get my SS# before my I-90 expires!!(at that time i didnt even know what I-90 was!!)and...it was already expired!! :crying:

(29 september )so my question is?can i get it anyway?with my marriage certificate?or is too late??? :wacko:

(it sucks cause we were told that we should start to worry about papper work after we get married!)

so if you can tell me what i should do...i will really appreciate your help!! :help:

thanks!:)

You had unitl two weeks before the I-94 expired to apply for a SSC. Now you will have to wait for the EAD or GC in order to apply for a SSC. SSA will not give you a SSC now that you are out of status. More waiting I am sorry to say.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I agree with Dave&Roza, this is too late for now. Look at the VJ Guide about getting a SSN, it is explained: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Follow the VJ guide to prepare your AOS package: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

This is very well explained and will help you save some stress and money!

I suggest that you prepare form I-765 as well (EAD= temporary work authorization) and form I-131 (AP=temporary travel authorization) with your AOS. Fees for these forms are waived when filed with the AOS form (I-485) and they both should be approved in 2-3 months. As soon as you get your EAD card, you will be able to go to a SS office with it + your passport/visa + marriage certificate and request a SS number.

Edit: File all those forms with your new married last name if that's the name you want to use now.

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Timeline

You had unitl two weeks before the I-94 expired to apply for a SSC. Now you will have to wait for the EAD or GC in order to apply for a SSC. SSA will not give you a SSC now that you are out of status. More waiting I am sorry to say.

Dave

Thank you Dave! :thumbs:

:(....

no problem....just another wait......:S

Timeline

I agree with Dave&Roza, this is too late for now. Look at the VJ Guide about getting a SSN, it is explained: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Follow the VJ guide to prepare your AOS package: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

I suggest that you prepare form I-765 as well (EAD= temporary work authorization) and form I-131 (AP=temporary travel authorization) with your AOS. Fees for these forms are waived when filed with the AOS form (I-485) and they both should be approved in 2-3 months. As soon as you get your EAD card, you will be able to go to a SS office with it + your passport/visa + marriage certificate and request a SS number.

Edit: File all those forms with your new married last name if that's the name you want to use now.

It's really not a wait for anything, because at this stage, the SSN will not help you very much. You can't work or anything until you get an EAD (free with AOS as explained above), so the only thing the SSN does is allow you to get on some bank accounts and the like. You can file for AOS without the SSN and you can apply for the SSN once you get your EAD. It's really not too big a deal.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

thanks so much Dido!

yes,i planned to send them all(the I-765,and the I-131)with my AOS!i was reading everything and taking notes.....i only wish that i did that before!too late for wishing!ha ha.......

thanks for your help,(yes,the lawyer is not an option now,so we are in the rite way) :thumbs:

thanks so much Dido!

yes,i planned to send them all(the I-765,and the I-131)with my AOS!i was reading everything and taking notes.....i only wish that i did that before!too late for wishing!ha ha.......

thanks for your help,(yes,the lawyer is not an option now,so we are in the rite way)

Timeline

It's really not a wait for anything, because at this stage, the SSN will not help you very much. You can't work or anything until you get an EAD (free with AOS as explained above), so the only thing the SSN does is allow you to get on some bank accounts and the like. You can file for AOS without the SSN and you can apply for the SSN once you get your EAD. It's really not too big a deal.

but then ,in the interview,i read that they ask for bank account in both names(my husband and i)so i wont be able to have one if i dont have my SSN ??(wich allows me to have some bank accounts)

thanks for your reply!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

thanks so much Dido!

thanks for your help,(yes,the lawyer is not an option now,so we are in the rite way) :thumbs:

You're welcome. Each USCIS form has instructions. Example: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3faf2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Read them so you know how to complete the form and which documents to include with. The VJ guide contains a checklist but reading the USCIS instructions is highly good to do as they are official.

Those instructions + the AOS VJ guide should answer to 95% of the questions you may have. If your case is pretty "simple", I would say you can find the last 5% by doing a quick search on the Google bar on VJ. Good luck. :)

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Timeline

You're welcome. Each USCIS form has instructions. Example: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3faf2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Read them so you know how to complete the form and which documents to include with. The VJ guide contains a checklist but reading the USCIS instructions is highly good to do as they are official.

Those instructions + the AOS VJ guide should answer to 95% of the questions you may have. If your case is pretty "simple", I would say you can find the last 5% by doing a quick search on the Google bar on VJ. Good luck. :)

nice!im doing that...and i had to do that too when we were on the k1 process,it was funny cause we got a lawyer,but i had to read till late at nite everyday to find out my answer cause he never replay or replay the half,like a week after i ask!.....so we dont have any doubt,to do it ourselves,saving money and stress!!thank you again for all teh help!!! :star:

but then ,in the interview,i read that they ask for bank account in both names(my husband and i)so i wont be able to have one if i dont have my SSN ??(wich allows me to have some bank accounts)

thanks for your reply!

Where in Jersey do you and your husband live?

There is an SS office in Jersey off of the 66. You can go there and see if you can get more info. Also, have your husband talk to his bank, they may be able to open the accounts with just your passport and valid visa.

Also, have your husband add you as a authorized user, at the very least, to his credit cards. This way you will have your own cards and have that to show at the interview at least. Have him add you to his medical benefits, as the beneficiary to his life/ADD insurance or 401K. A big thing is to start getting some mail in both of your names going to your home. Electric/Gas bills etc.

Adding a line for you on his cell phone account is another easy win.

I live in Jersey too! Just waiting for the wife...

Edited by CHarvey80

Relationship and I-130 Process

Sometime in October, 2011: We met online talking about Argentina.
Later in October: Met in person in Philadelphia and became good friends.
March 4, 2012: Became girlfriend and boyfriend, officially.
March 21: Gloria leaves the US at the end of her J-1 Visa.
April 9: Got engaged!
May 12-26: Chris visits Buenos Aires.
May 18: Got married in Argentina :) Happy day!!
May 29: Sent out I-130
June 4: NOA1 received.
August 17-20: Chris visits again.
September 22-29: Chris 3rd visit, Gloria's birthday!
November 11-January 5: Chris stays in Argentina almost 2 months, Gloria is happy!
December 28: NOA2 YAY!!!
December 31: Package received at NVC.
January 18, 2013: Got case # and IIN.
February 6: Case complete!!
February 11: Interview assigned.
February 25: Package received at Embassy in Buenos Aires.
March 18: Interview Approved!!
March 28: Visa received.
March 29: Houston POE

April 11: received greencard!!!!!!!

January 9, 2015: sent out form I-751

thanks for your reply!

So? you just tell the truth, that you didn't get an SSN in time. It's really not a big deal. Chances are you won't have an interview anyway.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

There is an SS office in Jersey off of the 66. You can go there and see if you can get more info. Also, have your husband talk to his bank, they may be able to open the accounts with just your passport and valid visa.

we live in Hopatcong,N.J!

Yes he will try it with his bank,but my visa expires 29 september!:(...

thank you for your replay,and hope you get the wifey soon!! :yes:

Timeline

So? you just tell the truth, that you didn't get an SSN in time. It's really not a big deal. Chances are you won't have an interview anyway.

yes,yes,always the truth! :thumbs: i know.....well...hope it works fine at the end

i should start reading all about the AOS as soon i moved here...

but im glad taht it is not a big deal!

thank you!congrats for your APPROVAL!

Timeline

Also, have your husband add you as a authorized user, at the very least, to his credit cards. This way you will have your own cards and have that to show at the interview at least. Have him add you to his medical benefits, as the beneficiary to his life/ADD insurance or 401K. A big thing is to start getting some mail in both of your names going to your home. Electric/Gas bills etc.

Adding a line for you on his cell phone account is another easy win.

Thanks for the tips!! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.