Azteca143

Name change on SSN card

8 posts in this topic

Hello my VJ friends!..I went to Social Security Office this morning to do the name change of my SSN,i show the guy my EAD card that i just received yesterday that has my married name on it which is Maria Lopez Smith(not my real name).I was surprised

that he won't let me used my maiden name as my middle name.I used my maiden name when i apply for SSN since

they won't allow me to used my married name i even show them my marriage certificate that day when i apply and all they say is that,they can't verify my name in DHS.so i used my maiden name as Maria Gomez Lopez then i want to change it to Maria Lopez Smith,but the guy instead put it this way Maria Gomez Smith,he said that i can't carry both family name :bonk:

and I read some post here that they don't have problem using their maiden name as their middle name when they do a name change in their SSN.when i filed my AOS i used my married name which is Maria Lopez Smith and my EAD card shows like that.

I'm just wondering why some people don't have problem doing their name change,is it depends on State where you live? or just some people working in SS office? :unsure:

Our Journey Together,Forever...

June 04 Detroit(POE)

June 15 Wedding "Blessed Day!" thank God!

July 13'12 Appointment Civil Surgeon

Adjustment Of Status

July 18'12 Send my application for AOS

July 20'12 USPS delivered my docs. to USCIS Chicago,IL

July 23'12 USCIS received Application(Priority date)

July 26'12 Check cash out/got txt@email,received my application

July 30'12 received mail NOA1(AOS/EAD/AP)

Aug.22'12 Biometrics done(Detroit,MI)

Sept.19 USCIS mailed a noticed they approved my Travel Docs.

Sept.20 EAD card on production(approved in 60 days!)

Sept.25 USPS pick up mail from USCIS(EAD card on the way!)

Sept.27 EAD card received.

Sept 28 went to SSOffice for name change on SSN card.

Oct 05'12 Got my new SSN card.

April 16'13 USCIS emailed Case Status:Card/Document Production.

April 20'13 Recieved mail from USCIS welcome notice.

April 22'13 USCIS email that USPS picked up mail containing my GC.

April 25'13 Green Card on hand,finally!...

Filed: Timeline

in my case,after we got married i applied for SSN with my married name and they just asked marriage cert. and my friend who lives in the other city (same state) they dont allow her to use her married name she was told to change it when she got her GC. .. it's very confusing though.. :unsure:

It does not depend on the state you live in. The Social Security Administration (SSA) is a federal program and is the same throughout the entire country.

Chinook was a K-1'er and got a SS number in her maiden name. After we were married, she changed the name on her card to her married name. She did the same thing as you did. She used her maiden surname as her new middle name. She simply filed the form and showed them her marriage certificate. She had no problem.

Chinook changed the name on her card about five weeks before her I-94 expired and shortly before she filed to adjust her status.

In your case, I'm guessing either the clerk at the SSA office is wrong, or you need to wait until you receive your conditional green card. I don't know which.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from AOS/Family-Based forum to Social Security Numbers subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is a staff member issue. go back, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor won't let you change it then you should call the head office and ask them to call the office you're at to correct them.

Try taking a print out of this link: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001 The middle name is not considered part of your "legal name" so you don't need anything special to change it at the SSA. You could change it to "Princess flaming tutu" and it would be okay... well.. kinda scary, but legally fine :P

This is a staff member issue. go back, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor won't let you change it then you should call the head office and ask them to call the office you're at to correct them.

Try taking a print out of this link: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001 The middle name is not considered part of your "legal name" so you don't need anything special to change it at the SSA. You could change it to "Princess flaming tutu" and it would be okay... well.. kinda scary, but legally fine :P

Thank you so much! i'm going to print this link,and show them.and if they won't still change my name the way i wanted i might have to go another state to do the name change,it's driving me nuts :bonk:

Our Journey Together,Forever...

June 04 Detroit(POE)

June 15 Wedding "Blessed Day!" thank God!

July 13'12 Appointment Civil Surgeon

Adjustment Of Status

July 18'12 Send my application for AOS

July 20'12 USPS delivered my docs. to USCIS Chicago,IL

July 23'12 USCIS received Application(Priority date)

July 26'12 Check cash out/got txt@email,received my application

July 30'12 received mail NOA1(AOS/EAD/AP)

Aug.22'12 Biometrics done(Detroit,MI)

Sept.19 USCIS mailed a noticed they approved my Travel Docs.

Sept.20 EAD card on production(approved in 60 days!)

Sept.25 USPS pick up mail from USCIS(EAD card on the way!)

Sept.27 EAD card received.

Sept 28 went to SSOffice for name change on SSN card.

Oct 05'12 Got my new SSN card.

April 16'13 USCIS emailed Case Status:Card/Document Production.

April 20'13 Recieved mail from USCIS welcome notice.

April 22'13 USCIS email that USPS picked up mail containing my GC.

April 25'13 Green Card on hand,finally!...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I used my maiden name as my middle name then my married name....

i never heard that you cannot used both family name...but i do

just went to SS office today using my EAD...

Adjusting from B2,married to my U.S army husband:-)

March 17-married in Las Vegas
June 11-AOS sent
June 13-touched
June 15-NOA1
June 26-Notice for Biometric
June 29-RFE notice(2011 tax)
July 09-Biometric 1:00 pm at Buena Park,CA
July 11-RFE sent
July 12-Notice I-30 transferred from CSC to NBC
July 16-Response Review
July 20-email saying I-30 transferred to USCIS office
Aug 07-recieved email for interview (Sept 10,2012)
Au9 09-interview letter in the mail at Santa Ana@10:30am
Aug 15-EAD card production
Aug 23-EAD card in hand
Sept 10-Interview Day-APPROVED ON THE SPOT..thank You God:-)
Nov 6-After info pass and Service request finally it updated to DECISION.....
Nov 9-Card Production
Nov 15-Green card in hand:-)

• 5 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.