44 posts in this topic

hello all

Is it ok to apply for medicaid or am i banned from that benefit too? i am pregnant and i have come to realize that healthcare is very expensive here in the US, and a baby needs lots of healthcare too, my husband is american citizen, but i dont wanna make the wrong move and put my co sponsor in any problems

6/29/12 AOS Package mailed Chicago Lockbox

7/01/12 Package delivered

7/09/12 NOA email notification

7/14/12 Received hard copy of NOA in the mail

7/16/12 Received biometric appointment letter for 8/01/12

7/23/12 Successful walk in Biometrics

8/15/12 Received email for interview notice

8/17/12 Received interview notice in the mail

9/10/12 EAD card ordered, (didnt get email or text checked it on USCIS website)

9/18/12 EAD card received in the mail

9/18/12 Interview done, approved on the spot!

9/19/12 Got email that approval notice was mailed out on 9/18/12

9/22/12 Received Approval notice in the mail

9/24/12 Got email that greencard was sent in the mail

9/26/12 Received greencard in the mail, thank you lord!

hello all

Is it ok to apply for medicaid or am i banned from that benefit too? i am pregnant and i have come to realize that healthcare is very expensive here in the US, and a baby needs lots of healthcare too, my husband is american citizen, but i dont wanna make the wrong move and put my co sponsor in any problems

You can get it for the baby once its here. I wouldn't suggest getting it for yourself though.

Congrats on being Green...:)

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

hello all

You can apply but your co-sponsors information and income have to be disclosed on the application.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

There are many different stte programs out there for pregnant women. The ccorrect answe would soley depend on what state you are living in.

Your husband job should be offerring some type of health insurance, if your husband is a full time employee with a company of over 50 employees. That was a federal mandate that was passed in 2011.

Scond, many states have medical programs for pregant women that do not involve being on Medicaid. You should look into this first.

Third, emergency Medcaid only comes into place when the medical situation is indeed a medical emergency. Pre-natal care is NOT an emergency.

After the baby is born, thaan the baby may qualify for Medicaid, again this is all based on income and household size.

Finally, as staed earlier whomever signed your 864 immigration finance form could be held liabiable for any monteary benefits that you should receive prior to you being a LPR for 5 years.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Life's Journey is right, it depends on your state. The birth itself will likely be covered by emergency Medicaid, but unless you have complications your prenatal care would not be. You might want to look into a low-cost clinic if your spouse does not have insurance that will cover you. Call your local social services department, they can probably refer you somewhere.

You can apply otherwise, but you likely will not be eligible. Again, this is state dependent, some states have pregnancy medicaid that even ineligible aliens can get. However, in other states, it won't matter if you disclose your sponsor's info, you still won't be eligible. I know in my state, they will first make sure you have been here 5 years. If you haven't, it doesn't matter about your sponsor or anything else - your application is denied for being an ineligible alien right then.

Your child will be eligible (if you meet the financial and nonfinancial requirements) when they are born.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe California actually offers emergency medi-cal (our version of medicaid) to pregnant women. It probably depends on how illegal-friendly your state is.

Have you looked into trying to get private medical insurance? It probably won't be cheap, but it would be better than paying privately or getting your cosponsor on the hook for your medicaid.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Timeline

There are many different stte programs out there for pregnant women. The ccorrect answe would soley depend on what state you are living in.

Your husband job should be offerring some type of health insurance, if your husband is a full time employee with a company of over 50 employees. That was a federal mandate that was passed in 2011.

Scond, many states have medical programs for pregant women that do not involve being on Medicaid. You should look into this first.

Third, emergency Medcaid only comes into place when the medical situation is indeed a medical emergency. Pre-natal care is NOT an emergency.

After the baby is born, thaan the baby may qualify for Medicaid, again this is all based on income and household size.

Finally, as staed earlier whomever signed your 864 immigration finance form could be held liabiable for any monteary benefits that you should receive prior to you being a LPR for 5 years.

i got medical when i was pregnant both times even when i made 45,000 a year i still freaking qualified for medical thru the state while i was pregnant. i didn't think that is the same as medicaid, maybe it is. and then after you give birth the baby has it til they are 18 but you do not. that is in the state of washington. pre natal is not an emergency but when it comes to getting prenatal care it is in it's own category because obviously making that much money the state would not pay for me to go to th edr for any reason, they do however pay for prenatal dr visit 100%. I do not know but I think your sponsor is in trouble if the state pays for you to have prenatal care, the baby will get state insurance and that shouldn't interfere.

Timeline

Life's Journey is right, it depends on your state. The birth itself will likely be covered by emergency Medicaid, but unless you have complications your prenatal care would not be. You might want to look into a low-cost clinic if your spouse does not have insurance that will cover you. Call your local social services department, they can probably refer you somewhere.

You can apply otherwise, but you likely will not be eligible. Again, this is state dependent, some states have pregnancy medicaid that even ineligible aliens can get. However, in other states, it won't matter if you disclose your sponsor's info, you still won't be eligible. I know in my state, they will first make sure you have been here 5 years. If you haven't, it doesn't matter about your sponsor or anything else - your application is denied for being an ineligible alien right then.

Your child will be eligible (if you meet the financial and nonfinancial requirements) when they are born.

you guuys are wrong. the state paid for me to have medical coupons to see any dr i wanted at any clinic i wanted the whole time i was pregnant. and i made 45,000 a year. the state of washington. I am us citizen. you really have to make a lot of money for the state to not pay for prenatal care. I had the baby, lost medical for me and the coupon came in my babies name only instead and they continued seeing good drs in good clinics.

you guuys are wrong. the state paid for me to have medical coupons to see any dr i wanted at any clinic i wanted the whole time i was pregnant. and i made 45,000 a year. the state of washington. I am us citizen. you really have to make a lot of money for the state to not pay for prenatal care. I had the baby, lost medical for me and the coupon came in my babies name only instead and they continued seeing good drs in good clinics.

You need to read what is being said. Life's Journey and I both said it is state-dependent. For example, I can tell you that what you are saying is the case in WA is absolutely not the case in VA.

Also, you are a USC. The OP is not and that makes a difference. In many cases it makes no difference what the family income is if the immigrant hasn't been here 5 years. These are called non-financial requirements and they have to be met. Again, read what is being said before starting in on people being wrong just because your situation was different.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

US citizens and LPRs are treated differently for public benefits.

You are a US citizen who is entitled to all benefits.

An LPR is sponsored with an I-864 where the sponsors take financial responsibility to reverse the government if the LPR receives certain benefits - one of which is Medicaid.

An LpR is also barred from receiving certain benefits - including regular Medicaid - for the first five years.

You cannot take the rules that apply to US citizens like yourself and apply them to an LPR. LPRs have their own rules.

thanks for the insight, @lifejourney what are the names of some of these programs, my guess is they are still government assisted, and its silly that they dont consider prenatal care to be for the baby, if it wasnt for baby i wouldnt need prenatal care

thanks for the insight, @lifejourney what are the names of some of these programs, my guess is they are still government assisted, and its silly that they dont consider prenatal care to be for the baby, if it wasnt for baby i wouldnt need prenatal care

What state do you live in?

What state do you live in?

North Carolina

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.