Neonred

Obama's Health Care Legacy

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

September 11, 2012

Obama's Health Care Legacy: A $3,000 Premium Increase

The most important story in health care today involves the release of the Kaiser Family Foundation's annual survey of employer-sponsored health insurance premiums. According to the survey, premiums rose by $56 per month, or $672 per year, for the average family health insurance plan -- that's an increase of more than 4 percent, more than twice the rate of inflation.

As a reminder, candidate Obama said repeatedly his bill would CUT premiums by an average of $2,500 per family -- meaning premiums would go DOWN, not merely just "go up by less than projected." The campaign also promised that that those reductions would occur within Obama's first term. However, the annual Kaiser Foundation survey of employer-provided insurance found that average family premiums totaled $12,680 in 2008, $13,375 in 2009, $13,770 in 2010, $15,073 in 2011, and $15,745 this year. In other words, while candidate Obama promised premiums would fall by $2,500 on average, premiums have risen by $3,065 since Barack Obama was elected President.

Other conclusions from the Kaiser study:

• You CAN'T Keep Your Current Coverage: The survey found that a majority (52%) of workers have now been forced out of their pre-Obamacare coverage -- that's an increase of 8 percent from just last year. The loss of employees' pre-Obamacare coverage is occurring even faster than the Administration's own estimates, which concluded half of all employers -- and as many as 80% of small businesses -- will be forced to give up their current coverage by 2013. Just as important, by giving up their pre-Obamacare plans, both employers and employees will be subjected to costly new mandates that will increase premiums.
  • New Requirements are Raising Premiums: Significant percentages of workers were in plans that had to change their services covered (41%) or cost-sharing requirements (33%) to meet Obamacare's new preventive service mandates. And the percentage of plans having to increase their benefits due to Obamacare rose by 10 percent when compared to last year. These new mandates by definition will raise premiums for plans, as this year's premium increase demonstrates.

Just before Obamacare passed, former Speaker Pelosi famously

we had to pass the bill to find out what's in it. Today we have once again found out just how much the 2700-page law is failing to live up to the President's promises.

http://www.demint.se...8710&Group_id=7

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

DeMint. Yeah, there's an unbiased view. :rofl:

DeMint may have used the info, but Kaiser did the research and analysis. So try and argue the facts and not write them off just some politician you disagree with quoted them.

Face it, PPACA was a missed opportunity to do something meaningful. Instead, the American people were fobbed off with a lame-a$$ed pile of poo, which gave the insurance and big pharma what they wanted, and paid off politicians for their votes, just so Obama could get his landmark piece of legislation on the books.

We deserve, and need, better than this.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

DeMint may have used the info, but Kaiser did the research and analysis. So try and argue the facts and not write them off just some politician you disagree with quoted them.

Face it, PPACA was a missed opportunity to do something meaningful. Instead, the American people were fobbed off with a lame-a$$ed pile of poo, which gave the insurance and big pharma what they wanted, and paid off politicians for their votes, just so Obama could get his landmark piece of legislation on the books.

We deserve, and need, better than this.

:thumbs:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

DeMint. Yeah, there's an unbiased view. :rofl:

It's OK...we know you are Obama's number one cheerleader and supporter no matter what he does.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Timeline
DeMint may have used the info, but Kaiser did the research and analysis.

Indeed. And they came to shockingly different conclusions:

C O N C L U S I O N

In 2012, premiums increased moderately as the economy continued to recover slowly and utilization remained sluggish. The percentage of firms offering health insurance and the percentage of workers covered by health insurance remained steady.

Employers continue to implement the early provisions of the Affordable Care Act. Currently 2.9 million children are enrolled in a parent’s employer-sponsored health plan as a result of the ACA.

Jim DeMint is a whack job of the worst kind. Nothing coming out of his office can ever be taken seriously. Most certainly, nothing coming out of that office should ever be taken at face value. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

It's OK...we know you are Obama's number one cheerleader and supporter no matter what he does.

Actually, I am not so much a supporter of Obama as I am an opponent of idiots and complete whack jobs like Jim DeMint.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Timeline

Indeed. And they came to shockingly different conclusions:

How? Obama said that premiums would decrease. Kaiser concluded that the opposite is the case. Seems like your lack of understanding of the basic point is what's shocking here.

Regardless, PPACA is still an unmitigated mess, the result of the current President lacking the backbone to push for a truly worthwhile overhaul of healthcare in this country, when presented with a majority in Congress that the Republicans were powerless to stop.

2011-11-15.garfield.png

How? Obama said that premiums would decrease. Kaiser concluded that the opposite is the case. Seems like your lack of understanding of the basic point is what's shocking here.

Regardless, PPACA is still an unmitigated mess, the result of the current President lacking the backbone to push for a truly worthwhile overhaul of healthcare in this country, when presented with a majority in Congress that the Republicans were powerless to stop.

Obama got health care reform but he did not get the health care reform he advocated. Since the reform is not what he based his estimates on, the estimates don't hold. That's not really much of a surprise. Now I agree that health care reform has a long way to go but this President - unlike many before him - got a first step done. Yes, it's regrettable that he signed the 1993 GOP plan into law but that should delight the other side of the aisle. Why doesn't it? Why are they so opposed to that which they drafted?

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well DUHHH!! In case you have not been following this issue, 'Obamacare' has not yet been fully implemented! And it is not the single-payer kind of system (Medicare-for-all) that would have the potential to see real cost savings. If the congress had given Obama what he really wanted and had implemented it already then we could see if the savings would be there. I think they would. But the program congress finally passed is different and still not fully implemented. So your criticism is off the mark.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Being an independent, there are so many things I don't like about Obama. I won't even bother going into detail, but wasting silly money on wars is probably my biggest issue, followed by drone killings, the Patriot Act, killing of Americans without due process, Guantanamo, DACA, and the list goes on and on and on.

But if there's one thing for which I give Obama credit, it's Obamacare.

Although Obamacare is coined after Romneycare which, in my not so humble opinion is the best thing this man has ever accomplished in his life -- yet he can't take credit for it as his party base would rip his heart out if he did -- Obama was able to put this through Congress, and I feel this is nothing short of a miracle, giving the fact that the Republicans tried everything to preserve the status quo: don't get sick or if you get sick, die quickly.

Obamacare is nothing compared to single payer or the public option, but it's everything compared to having to die or even getting bankrupt.

My wife, now 50, had a fibroid tumor in her abdomen. Based on a pre-existing condition, she was not able to obtain health care, until thanks to Obamacare California created the PCIP plan for people with pre-existing conditions. It wasn't easy to get in, and my wife had to prove that she is a US citizen, but now we're paying $370 per month, which is already very affordable. Keep in mind, the idea of Obamacare is that everybody will be insured, and in order to accomplish that, insurance has to be affordable.

My wife's tumor turned out to be a 9-lbs monster, twice the size expected. What we though would be a rather standard hysterectomy caused her to crush during the first night and end up in the ICU where she had a second surgery to stop the bleeding less than 20 hours after the first one. She crashed again with more abdominal bleeding less a day later, and when they tried to inflate a collapsed lung they missed the diaphragm and the line went through the liver which now started bleeding as well. Despite having 5 highly skilled surgeon in the ER, my wife was on the edge of dying and now, 8 weeks later, is still unable to move much. The bill is way over $300,000.00 so far, and only due to Obamacare am I able to afford my co-payments and the premiums. Otherwise, I'd be bankrupt right now, would have lost my home, my business, my savings . . . everything, just because my wife got sick.

So forgive me for ignoring your nonsense about higher premiums. The opposite is the case. Obamacare will ensure that every US citizen and Green Card holder will be able to afford health care. Those who make almost nothing, will pay nothing as they will be covered under Medicare. Those who make $20K per year will have to pay about $100 per month. Too much? Once Obamacare will be in full swing, my wife and I together will be paying less than 30% of what we pay now, mainly because my premium is so high that if I told you how much I am paying, you'd call me a liar.

I am eternally grateful to Obama for this one good thing he was able to pull though, so I will vote for him. I will still be upset about the things I totally don't like about his policies, but nobody is perfect, and there's only one candidate who is the opposite of perfect: Mitt Romney. He suggests for people to go to the ER when they get sick. Great advice: get your new kidney and dialysis in the ER. That's a great plan, isn't it?

:help: You and your wife will be in my thoughts! Best wishes for her rapid and complete recovery!

Timeline

Yes, it's regrettable that he signed the 1993 GOP plan into law but that should delight the other side of the aisle. Why doesn't it? Why are they so opposed to that which they drafted?

Probably for the same reason Dingy Harry, who, in 1993, advocated the reinterpretation of the 14th Amendment to exclude the so-called "anchor babies", now supports them whole-heartlessly (yeah, riiiiiight <_<) - political expediency.

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Probably for the same reason Dingy Harry, who, in 1993, advocated the reinterpretation of the 14th Amendment to exclude the so-called "anchor babies", now supports them whole-heartlessly (yeah, riiiiiight <_<) - political expediency.

Harry Reid? Who gives a ** about Harry Reid? The GOP introduced a free market based proposal to reform the US health care system in 1993. That proposal was essentially signed into law by President Obama in 2010. Now they call it communism. They call it a government takeover of health care. Did the GOP draft the government takeover of health care? That's the issue. ** Harry Reid.

Timeline

Harry Reid? Who gives a ** about Harry Reid? The GOP introduced a free market based proposal to reform the US health care system in 1993. That proposal was essentially signed into law by President Obama in 2010. Now they call it communism. They call it a government takeover of health care. Did the GOP draft the government takeover of health care? That's the issue. ** Harry Reid.

Touchy, much?

Or is the thought that leading Democrats flip-flop as well as the Republicans upsetting to you?

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Touchy, much?

Or is the thought that leading Democrats flip-flop as well as the Republicans upsetting to you?

Most politicians flip flop. We're talking about a party here, though. Did the whole GOP flip flop to the point where they advocated communism less than two decades ago? Not only that but advocated communism while calling it free market based solutions? You gotta do better than Harry Reid.