savethispatient

Tip for new citizens updating their Social Security card

12 posts in this topic

My wife's cousin works for Social Security - she told me that when you go in to update your social security card, it's a lot easier for them if you just show them your new US passport instead of the naturalization certificate. Apparently they have to use a USCIS computer system to verify the certificate (which can be slow), whereas they can accept the passport on face value.

Hope that's of help to someone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife's cousin works for Social Security - she told me that when you go in to update your social security card, it's a lot easier for them if you just show them your new US passport instead of the naturalization certificate. Apparently they have to use a USCIS computer system to verify the certificate (which can be slow), whereas they can accept the passport on face value.

Never had that problem in our small town SS office, just won't use my clean perfect copies, but make their own dirty copies with their worn out copying machine.

Also aware of delays in processing of a US passport until you are registered with the SS so put you in a catch-22 position. Did have some problems with an agent at my SS office, just asked to speak to the supervisor and was cleared up instantly. Typical with all government agencies if you are unlucky enough to meet the wrong god-like egotistical agent making their own rules as they go along.

Not saying you are wrong, how about dealing with a USCIS agent that never took the time to read their own published instructions? That is the problem.

Good tip.

They do need to find the name and updated record in the database so it's suggested to wait 10 days after the ceremony to allow time for the status to be updated by USCIS. We didn't know that at the time, and dropped in on a Friday afternoon. The girl said, "Oh I hope it's in the computer. They say to wait 10 days, but it's been 9 so hopefully it's there." It was-- so all was well.

They issued a new card because it had to match the naturalization certificate. The previous card had no middle name or initial because it had to match the I-94 they said at the time. But the naturalization certificate had a middle name, so a new card was sent. The same thing happened at the TX drivers license office. New license had to be issued to match the naturalization certificate. The previous license had first/middle initial/last name to match the greencard name.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Today we just did our Social Security errand. Wife did a name change, so need a new card. First we did her passport (got that back quick!); then to the banks; then to VA-DMV (they seemed most interested in court order on name change; Virginia doesn't care about citizenship); then finally today to Social Security. Clerk took both cert of naturalization and passport (didn't watch carefully what she was doing as I was worrying about the parking ticket I needed validated, but couldn't find). We still have a long list of credit card companies, insurance, etc that we need to change.

Marriage: 09-22-2007

Conditional Residence

I-130 Sent: 10-10-2007

I-130 Approved: 06-03-2008 (236 days from VSC receipt to approval)

Case Complete at NVC: 07-30-2008 (52 days from NVC receipt to approval)

Consulate Interview date: 09-24-2008

POE Miami: 10-04-2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751 Sent: 07-08-2010

NOA1 Date: 07-12-2010

Biometrics Appt.: 09-01-2010 (Early Bio 08-13-2010)

Approved: 11-03-2010 (114 days from VSC receipt to approval)

GC Rec'd: 11-06-2010

Citizenship

N-400 Sent: 07-08-2011

Confirmation Text Message: 07-14-2011

NOA Priority Date: 07-12-2011

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: 08-01-2011

Biometrics Appt.: 08-19-2011 (Early Bio 08-12-2011)

"Placed in Line" Email and Touched: 08-16-2011

"Interview Scheduled" Email and Touched: 12-23-2011

Rec'd Interview Letter: 12-27-2011

Interview Passed: 01-30-2012

Email from Senator's Office Stating Application Was Approved: 06-18-2012

"Oath Scheduling Que" Email and Touched: 07-03-2012

Given Oath Date at InfoPass Appt. and Touched: 08-28-2012

Rec'd Oath Date Letter in Mail: 09-01-2012

Oath Date: 09-27-2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Last week at my husband's oath ceremony, we were pleasantly surprised that the SS department was there. They handed out the form before the ceremony, gave the new citizens time to fill it out afterwards, and then set up an area in the hallway afterwards to take all of the information. Talk about nice! Anytime we don't have to go to another government agency, we're happy campers.good.gif It would be nice if more places around the country did this.

Timeline

Last week at my husband's oath ceremony, we were pleasantly surprised that the SS department was there. They handed out the form before the ceremony, gave the new citizens time to fill it out afterwards, and then set up an area in the hallway afterwards to take all of the information. Talk about nice! Anytime we don't have to go to another government agency, we're happy campers.good.gif It would be nice if more places around the country did this.

Wow... government efficiency! Who'd have thunk! :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just brought the Citizenship Cert given to me at the oath and immediately left and drove to the Social Security office. Took me about 10 mins and I was out of there and all set to go. This was about 6 or so years ago, but don't think it's any different now...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Timeline

If it was my goal to make it easy for the SSA drones (nothing personal), I'd take your advice to heart. I in fact did use my passport to update my SSA records, but I only did that because I had it the morning after my Oath Ceremony and it just was easier this way. Otherwise I wouldn't really care if the SSA employee has to actually work or use her brain to do what we pay her to do.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

While it may be easier for SSA - it may not be in your best interests. It is a very quick and simple matter of going to SSA the day of or the day after your ceremony, showing them your certificate of which they will make a copy, and then they will enter the information into their system. Once USCIS updates their data base to reflect your new status, the inquiry from SSA will be triggered, bringing back proof of your status and they will in turn issue you a new SSN card - whether you need one or not :D . This all happens because you put the wheels in motion and does not require any further action from you.

So, now those wheels are turning you can take your naturalization certificate and send it away in the mail with your passport application (please, please make 2 good colour photocopies of your certificate before you send it off in the mail!). The passport office will keep your certificate for several weeks - which means that you will have no proof of your status in your possession. If, God forbid (and it has happened - happened to 3 people in the month I applied for my passport) - your Naturalization certificate gets 'lost' either in the passport office or the mail, you have already started the process with SSA to update your status. Even if the certificate gets lost in the mail, the passport will probably get through (although 2 of those on VJ also went missing in the mail when I applied for mine - and mine was one of them!) you will eventually get proof of your status back. Then you can go and update your DL - and register to vote if you didn't do that before hand as well. If you hadn't updated your status with SSA, though, you may run into difficulties changing your status on your DL. When I updated mine they wanted to see both the certificate (or the passport) and they had to verify my status with SSA as well. If I hadn't already updated my SSA before I sent off my passport I would have had to wait to update my DL until SSA had finished the processing. Why not let them do the processing at the same time while you are waiting for something else to be done rather than doing them sequentially?

So, it is probably better to get the quick and easy updates done right after you get your certificate because you can do them in a day - and that one day may make a world of difference if something happens to your certificate or your passport (even if it is just a long processing time of 4 to 6 weeks), you won't be in 'limbo' with the rest of your government updates.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Yeah that was really great to be there on the Oath Ceremony, by the way i had my ceremony Oct. 19 in Southbend Indiana, i was surprised but happy dont have to go to the office and file a change. Now waiting for the new SS card to arrive.

Petition for my Mom

11/11/12 - Sent application
11/15/12 - Priority date
11/ /12 - NOA1
01/15/13 - RFE noticed recieved
01/17/13 - Mailed RFE documents
01/26/13 - APPROVED

NVC JOURNEY

02/04/13 - Case recieved
02/25/13 - Case number assigned
02/28/13 - Recieved email from NVC
02/28/13 - Sent Choice of Agent from beneficiary email add
02/28/13 - Paid AOS bill
03/06/13 - AOS "paid"
03/08/13 - Choice of agent accepted
03/11/13 - Recived IV bill
03/12/13 - Sent AOS packaged
03/27/13 - Recieved RFE for I-864A
04/02/13 - Re send I-864A
07/01/13 - Paid IV bill

07/29/13 - Sent IV Packet

08/01/13 - NVC Recieved Packet

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.