GigglesAndDimples

letter to my congressmen

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Ok, so as I check Igor's list and watch my NOA1 date passing on CSC and meanwhile VSC is 3 months behind, I'm wondering how many people are in the same boat. Turns out, that there's a lot...like upwards of half a million applications for I-130 and I-129F...

Anyway, I've decided to write a letter to my congressmen now, not just for my sake but on behalf of all those who are waiting and will be waiting in the future. I believe in being proactive and that the squeaky wheel gets the grease so here goes...

I'd like to post my letter and get some feedback before I send it. Please read it down and tell me what you think. If your only response is to say "it won't do any good" please keep your comments to yourself. It can't hurt and even if it doesn't speed up my personal application, if it gets things moving for someone in the future then it will still have done something good.

Ok, here's my first draft:

Dear Senators/Representatives:

Lately in the news there has been a lot of attention regarding illegal immigration but I am writing this letter on behalf of millions of American citizens who are trying to LEGALLY immigrate their spouses and families and are forced to wait and wait due to bureaucratic delays.

With the assistance of publicly available records and nonpartisan web forums that provide user submitted statistics, it has become clear that there is a disparity in processing times for immigration applications.

I-130 and I-129F applications account for well over HALF a MILLION immigrants who are spouses, children, siblings, and parents of US citizens. Currently there are two servicing centers, one in California (CSC) and one in Vermont (VSC). Based on available information, CSC is approving petitions that were submitted in June and July, a reasonable processing time frame. I, along with many others had our applications sent to VSC. Mine was received on June 28th, but based on projections, instead of being processed any day now, it is likely I will have to wait an additional 4-6 MONTHS before my application is even pulled off the shelf. The listed processing time on the USCIS website for these applications is 5 months. That is unfortunate, but many petitioners are waiting in excess of 7 months. We need to do something about this.

We all understand the need for security, and for strict policy regarding illegal immigration. And none of us are opposed to being thorough in preventing individuals from scamming the system. But this burdensome waiting period is due simply to mismanagement.

Please consider what it would be like to have a member of your immediate family - even your children or spouse - in a foreign country, unable to visit, while you wait for paperwork to be pulled from a shelf. In that 6-12 months you could be enjoying your life with your family there with you. We have all paid the fees and we would like to see our applications processed in a timely manner so we can be with our loved ones as soon as possible.

I hope that you will take some time to have your offices bring attention to this matter with USCIS. I am currently circulating a petition, but consider that for every one of over half a million visa petitioners per year, there is at least one family member waiting to be reunited with them.

06/20/2012 -- I-129F mailed

06/28/2012 -- NOA1 VSC

12/31/2012 -- NOA2

01/08/2013 -- Left NVC

01/11/2013 -- Arrived at Embassy

01/17/2013 -- Received Packet 3

02/05/2013 -- Interview (APPROVED)

02/08/2013 -- Received Passport with Visa

02/16/2013 -- Arrive in US

SIGN OUR PETITION to Speed Up Visa Processing!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I understand your frustration. I dont understand why they are so behind in processing. I sent in i-130 on July 1st and got approval in CSC Sept 11. I was very surprised at the quick turn around because i was expecting about 5 months. I cant imagine being in your situation and waiting everyday hoping for an answer. I think the letter you wrote sounds really good and like you said at least it is a try. Is there anyway to get the case transferred to CSC. How do they decide which service center is going to process your application? Good luck with your case and hope you hear something soon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

More ppl should let their congressman / senators know how they feel about their spouse having to wait in line for over year and even when they get here they have to go thru hoops to get a DL etc.

While current administration is more focused on letting illegal immigrant become legal... just an FYI.. the present executive order not only stops deportation but DHS also said it would be upto states to even issue them a DL and possibly would even let them work using the temp EAD.

Filed: Timeline

thats is a very good letter. hope it help to get vsc get thier stuffs together and start moving fast. i dont know what the hell vermont service center is doing for this big delay. i cant imagine seeing other people getting approval fast in csc while other are waiting three times that time. i am fortunate to be at csc and getting approval fast but at the same time feel bad for those who file since february at vsc still waiting. VSC need to do something to fix this problem.

06-21-2012- sent I-129F petition

06-25-2012 - NOA1

06-30-2012 - NOA1 hard copy received

09-13-2012 - NOA2

09-17-2012 - NOA2 hard copy received

09-19-2012 - NVC received

09-20-2012 - Case# received

09-24-2012 - NVC left

09-27-2012 - consulate received

10-18-2012 - interview approved pending I-134 form (was submitted not sure what happen)

10-25-2012 - resubmitted I-134 and asked to pick up visa on the 10-30-2012

Ok, so as I check Igor's list and watch my NOA1 date passing on CSC and meanwhile VSC is 3 months behind, I'm wondering how many people are in the same boat. Turns out, that there's a lot...like upwards of half a million applications for I-130 and I-129F...

Anyway, I've decided to write a letter to my congressmen now, not just for my sake but on behalf of all those who are waiting and will be waiting in the future. I believe in being proactive and that the squeaky wheel gets the grease so here goes...

I'd like to post my letter and get some feedback before I send it. Please read it down and tell me what you think. If your only response is to say "it won't do any good" please keep your comments to yourself. It can't hurt and even if it doesn't speed up my personal application, if it gets things moving for someone in the future then it will still have done something good.

Ok, here's my first draft:

Dear Senators/Representatives:

Lately in the news there has been a lot of attention regarding illegal immigration but I am writing this letter on behalf of millions of American citizens who are trying to LEGALLY immigrate their spouses and families and are forced to wait and wait due to bureaucratic delays.

With the assistance of publicly available records and nonpartisan web forums that provide user submitted statistics, it has become clear that there is a disparity in processing times for immigration applications.

I-130 and I-129F applications account for well over HALF a MILLION immigrants who are spouses, children, siblings, and parents of US citizens. Currently there are two servicing centers, one in California (CSC) and one in Vermont (VSC). Based on available information, CSC is approving petitions that were submitted in June and July, a reasonable processing time frame. I, along with many others had our applications sent to VSC. Mine was received on June 28th, but based on projections, instead of being processed any day now, it is likely I will have to wait an additional 4-6 MONTHS before my application is even pulled off the shelf. The listed processing time on the USCIS website for these applications is 5 months. That is unfortunate, but many petitioners are waiting in excess of 7 months. We need to do something about this.

We all understand the need for security, and for strict policy regarding illegal immigration. And none of us are opposed to being thorough in preventing individuals from scamming the system. But this burdensome waiting period is due simply to mismanagement.

Please consider what it would be like to have a member of your immediate family - even your children or spouse - in a foreign country, unable to visit, while you wait for paperwork to be pulled from a shelf. In that 6-12 months you could be enjoying your life with your family there with you. We have all paid the fees and we would like to see our applications processed in a timely manner so we can be with our loved ones as soon as possible.

I hope that you will take some time to have your offices bring attention to this matter with USCIS. I am currently circulating a petition, but consider that for every one of over half a million visa petitioners per year, there is at least one family member waiting to be reunited with them.

this is great! you can also emphasize the fact we're paying all this money! and not only that, just the fact that we're paying for such a slow process that is not even guaranteed because some official can easily deny a petition if they feel like it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

**Moved from K1 to USC Service Centers as the post is related to the wait time in VSC independently of the family visa process a member is going through

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I would suggest including your voter Registration # when you send the letter.

Good call, I wouldn't have thought of that.

06/20/2012 -- I-129F mailed

06/28/2012 -- NOA1 VSC

12/31/2012 -- NOA2

01/08/2013 -- Left NVC

01/11/2013 -- Arrived at Embassy

01/17/2013 -- Received Packet 3

02/05/2013 -- Interview (APPROVED)

02/08/2013 -- Received Passport with Visa

02/16/2013 -- Arrive in US

SIGN OUR PETITION to Speed Up Visa Processing!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.