2big

A citizen married to a wife Overseas but has a valid visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Please i would need an advice on this issue. A friend of mine recently got naturalized and became a US citizen, the wife is in overseas with a valid U.S Visa to visit America again and her name was included on the papers used by him to file for citizenship(Yes, they are married). He just got his certificate today and wondering the best way to bring her wife and the kids involved to America.

1. Can the wife come back/visit America again since she has valid visa and he will change her status for her as married? or does he has to file for her while she is at her country and wait for her to be approved before coming to USA. Here, her visa might expire and she has to wait until her case is approved.

2. The two kids are also included on the Citizenship - Can the wife come here first and later they can file for the kids ?

I have advised him to ask the wife to come back to America while they stay here to finish other processes and file for the kids later? I needed to confirm this and this is why i am writing.

Any help/answer will be appreciated.

Thank you all.

2big

1-129F Journey:

Met my Fiancee: 1998 when i was a tutor in a High

1998 December: Became friends and started talking

2000 : Lost Contact and never met again

2003: Traveled to the States and still not talking

2005: Traveled back home and we met again ( serious here)

2007: I made up my mind that she is "the one"

2007 December 27th: Proposed to her

2009 May 12th: sent in the 1-129F for her

2009 May 19th: Receipt of NOA1

Sept 15th : NOA2 Approved email received

Sept 22nd: NOA2 Hard Copy received

Sept 16th: Package sent to NVC

Sept 17th: Package Received at NVC

Sept 21st: Package sent to Local Embassy.

Sept 26th : NVC Approval Letter received in the mail

Sept 28th: Package Delivered at Local Embassy (Lagos Nigeria)....Signed by Ben Obi by 10.50am.....yahooo..time to get ready for interview

NOV 20TH: Interview Date by 7.am...too early and i wonder what my woman will do since she is like 6hrs from the Location

MEDICAL: Done on 12th

Interview: PASSED on 20th without stress and not much questions......Glory be to God

Visa Picked up: Nov. 27th

Wedding: Dec 31st..... Got wedded and was fabulous

January 16th..... Wife entered US with me through IAD ,,,,,,NO EAD received

January 20th..... Got our Marriage License

February 14th .....Civil Marriage Date

.......... AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

She or the kids should not apply citizenship yet as they are not even resident. You cannot come on a visitor vist with intent to immigrate, especially stranding the kids in the meantime. They should file CR-1 and include the kids. Once approved, the kids have up to 1 year to follow if they are under 21 years old. They will enter as full residents and can then work toward citizenship. In the meantime, while waiting paperwork, they could visit if there is already visa for this... but is best to return and do interview in home country and enter on the CR-1 visa.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

She or the kids should not apply citizenship yet as they are not even resident. You cannot come on a visitor vist with intent to immigrate, especially stranding the kids in the meantime. They should file CR-1 and include the kids. Once approved, the kids have up to 1 year to follow if they are under 21 years old. They will enter as full residents and can then work toward citizenship. In the meantime, while waiting paperwork, they could visit if there is already visa for this... but is best to return and do interview in home country and enter on the CR-1 visa.

What L+T said.

There aren't any shortcuts. The former permanent resident, now US citizen, has the advantage and priviledge of petitioning his wife though.

She can still visit on a tourist visa. A tourist visa is meant for visiting, not staycations/immigrating and since the question has already been asked and the idea has been there, it's considered entering on a tourist visa with the intent to immigrate. Which is a no-go. As I mentioned, the foreign wife may visit however having a US citizen as a spouse sometimes makes it harder to prove less ties to US rather than home country.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Timeline

Thank you (L+T) and i do appreciate.

1-129F Journey:

Sept 28th: Package Delivered at Local Embassy (Lagos Nigeria)....Signed by Ben Obi by 10.50am.....yahooo..time to get ready for interview

NOV 20TH: Interview Date by 7.am...too early and i wonder what my woman will do since she is like 6hrs from the Location

Interview: PASSED on 20th without stress and not much questions......Glory be to God

.......... AOS

Timeline

What L+T said.

There aren't any shortcuts. The former permanent resident, now US citizen, has the advantage and priviledge of petitioning his wife though.

She can still visit on a tourist visa. A tourist visa is meant for visiting, not staycations/immigrating and since the question has already been asked and the idea has been there, it's considered entering on a tourist visa with the intent to immigrate. Which is a no-go. As I mentioned, the foreign wife may visit however having a US citizen as a spouse sometimes makes it harder to prove less ties to US rather than home country.

Thank you. I will let them know. Do you know how long it takes since her name was already included during the husband's citizenship time? I was hoping she can come and change status here?

1-129F Journey:

.......... AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

*Moved from K1 Filings forum to Bringing Family of US Citizens forum*

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

They should file CR-1 and include the kids. Once approved,<snip> They will enter as full residents and can then work toward citizenship.

He should file I-130s for each relative. Once the children are admitted to the US as legal permanent residents they will be considered US citizens if they are under 18 and in the custody of a US citizen parent - no matter how long (or short) that parent has been a citizen.

But they will not automatically receive proof of their citizenship and must either apply for a passport (using birth certificate and parent's naturalization cert) or file for a certificate of naturalization (N-600) as proof or both.

Child Citizenship Act Fact Sheet

Also, since the naturalized father would be petitioning for his children he would be eligible to file the waiver for the affidavit of support (I-864w) and would be exempt from demonstrating sufficient income in order to immigrate them. However he would not be exempt from the I-864 for his wife and as stated previously she would not be eligible for citizenship upon entry.

USCIS Form I-864waiver

Filed: IR-2 Country: Nigeria
Timeline

He should file I-130s for each relative. Once the children are admitted to the US as legal permanent residents they will be considered US citizens if they are under 18 and in the custody of a US citizen parent - no matter how long (or short) that parent has been a citizen.

But they will not automatically receive proof of their citizenship and must either apply for a passport (using birth certificate and parent's naturalization cert) or file for a certificate of naturalization (N-600) as proof or both.

Child Citizenship Act Fact Sheet

Also, since the naturalized father would be petitioning for his children he would be eligible to file the waiver for the affidavit of support (I-864w) and would be exempt from demonstrating sufficient income in order to immigrate them. However he would not be exempt from the I-864 for his wife and as stated previously she would not be eligible for citizenship upon entry.

USCIS Form I-864waiver

Thank you for this correction, I was just about to say the same thing.

"Marriage isn't for Christmas but forever" My husband Femi (L)(L)(L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.