NYC-KK

international travel with green card extension?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Back in March, 2012, we applied to remove conditions from my wife's permanent resident status. The I - 751 Receipt Notice stated, "Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year." But she did not receive a new green card indicating this extension. Her green card indicates an expiration date that is already passed. Is this normal, or should she have received a new green card? We are planning to visit her family in Thailand in December. What documents should we bring, in addition to the green card, to indicate that it has been extended and is not expired?

Ron

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Back in March, 2012, we applied to remove conditions from my wife's permanent resident status. The I - 751 Receipt Notice stated, "Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year." But she did not receive a new green card indicating this extension. Her green card indicates an expiration date that is already passed. Is this normal, or should she have received a new green card? We are planning to visit her family in Thailand in December. What documents should we bring, in addition to the green card, to indicate that it has been extended and is not expired?

Read the letter again, more closely. The letter acts as the extension. Bring a copy of the letter along with the GC to show at CBP when reentering the US.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Read the letter again, more closely. The letter acts as the extension. Bring a copy of the letter along with the GC to show at CBP when reentering the US.

The I-751 RECEIPT NOTICE is the first notice we received and the only one that indicates that her conditional resident status is extended for one year. But it does not explicitly state that the Notice is, it self, proof of the extension. Nevertheless, I see why you assume that it is and you are probably right. But I'd like to know with more certainty that this is the case.

Also, the I-751 RECEIPT NOTICE granting one year extension is dated 3/22/12, but her green card expired on 6/1/12. I assume that one year extension means that the new expiration date is 6/1/13, not 3/22/13, but this is ambiguous. It seems to me that we should have a more specific document showing the new expiration date.

Ron

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The I-751 RECEIPT NOTICE is the first notice we received and the only one that indicates that her conditional resident status is extended for one year. But it does not explicitly state that the Notice is, it self, proof of the extension. Nevertheless, I see why you assume that it is and you are probably right. But I'd like to know with more certainty that this is the case.

Actually, the letter states that her status is extended for one year so lacking any other documentation, the letter does serve as proof that her PR status has been extended.

Also, the I-751 RECEIPT NOTICE granting one year extension is dated 3/22/12, but her green card expired on 6/1/12. I assume that one year extension means that the new expiration date is 6/1/13, not 3/22/13, but this is ambiguous. It seems to me that we should have a more specific document showing the new expiration date.

Yes - her original status expired June 1, 2012. Her one year extension expires June 1, 2013. The date on the letter is the date the proof of her extended status is issued - not the date from which her status is extended because her status if identified on her green card. She needs to carry both the expired green card and the extension letter. Make copies of the letter and keep an extra copy with you when you travel as well as keep one at home when you leave.

For clarification, if she had not received the letter, she would have had to go to USCIS and get an I-551 stamp in her passport instead. The one year extension dates from when the stamp is issued so that may be an earlier date than the one year denoted on the green card. That happened to me. I didn't receive the letter so 2 weeks prior to my green card expiring I got the I-551 stamp in the passport. It extended my status for one year until the same date as the stamp, one year later, not one year later from my green card date. As long as you have the letter and the green card you use the date on the green card.

Hopefully, she may have her new green card by the time you travel but if not, she will be fine. Have a good trip!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We live at the border with Canada and go there very frequently. We went there many times during Alla's and Pasha's ROC period with no problems. Our son Sergey returned to the US from his school in Russia during this time with no problems.

Bring passport, green card and renewal receipt (letter which extends benefits) No problems should be expected. For travel to Canada and back by land we always needed ONLY the green cards (with the extension letter during that period)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

I can confirm the letter is all you need. My husband used his to travel to Europe last year. We entered in Newark with the extension letter, the immigration was a bit confused on and had to ask another immigration officer, but all was good.

Timeline

Thanks for the helpful and reassuring replies. Would any one suggest that we make an info pass appointment to have the stamp put in her Thai passport just to avoid any confusion?

Ron

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am going to tell my experience when I got the stamp on my passport. THAT STAMP IS NO GOOD ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THE UNITED STATES. I just came back from my country. First of, ony my way there in Chicago O'hare airport, the american airlines agent did not even know what was that for. and ofcourse because I had roundtrip ticket she needed to verify that I will be able to get in. I showed her the letter and that was what made her relax back. back home in my way back know one knew what that stamp for. They were even undecisive about the letter which I was able to get back with eventually. Make sure you have that letter it works miracles. I usually do not post alot in such discussions but I thought about it and I was really looking for review about this issue that I was not able to find easy.

• 4 years later...
Timeline

I am going to tell my experience when I got the stamp on my passport. THAT STAMP IS NO GOOD ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THE UNITED STATES. I just came back from my country. First of, ony my way there in Chicago O'hare airport, the american airlines agent did not even know what was that for. and ofcourse because I had roundtrip ticket she needed to verify that I will be able to get in. I showed her the letter and that was what made her relax back. back home in my way back know one knew what that stamp for. They were even undecisive about the letter which I was able to get back with eventually. Make sure you have that letter it works miracles. I usually do not post alot in such discussions but I thought about it and I was really looking for review about this issue that I was not able to find easy.

Mony88,

So you were able to board the airplane in Egypt using the expired green card and the extension letter without any complication?? I have the same exact situation now.

Thanks,

Timeline

Mony88,

So you were able to board the airplane in Egypt using the expired green card and the extension letter without any complication?? I have the same exact situation now.

Thanks,

What happened with me was that I went to the uscis to get a stamp on my passport. So the agent half cut my green card and stamped my passport. The immigration people in egypt did not know what it was but they still let me in to speak with the airlines agent. The airlines agent knew what the letter was for and let me on the plane with no problem. I did not have any problems

Timeline

What happened with me was that I went to the uscis to get a stamp on my passport. So the agent half cut my green card and stamped my passport. The immigration people in egypt did not know what it was but they still let me in to speak with the airlines agent. The airlines agent knew what the letter was for and let me on the plane with no problem. I did not have any problems

Thank you so much for the info.

Regards,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.