walkerl79

Criminal Record

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Possibly.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know theft itself is a CMT but just one is not usually an automatic denial, but theft of satellite signals seems to be a bit more harsh. Since she got a 5,000 dollar fine. You are going to need her court records, and get the Fingerprint background check.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also once she has her court records she will know whether she has a summary offence or a indictable offences. The little bit of research I have done, says for a summery offences they can receive up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine up to 5,000. She may have gotten lucky with a summery offence since you said she got a fine and no jail time and if she did that will make a big difference. All I know for sure is get all the documents you can and get at least 3 copies of the court records. Hopefully she won't need a waiver, and once she does get to the US she will need the records for any other steps she has with USCIS

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Also once she has her court records she will know whether she has a summary offence or a indictable offences. The little bit of research I have done, says for a summery offences they can receive up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine up to 5,000. She may have gotten lucky with a summery offence since you said she got a fine and no jail time and if she did that will make a big difference. All I know for sure is get all the documents you can and get at least 3 copies of the court records. Hopefully she won't need a waiver, and once she does get to the US she will need the records for any other steps she has with USCIS

Waiver?? What kind of waiver? She has never needed a waiver to enter the US. She enters a few times a year with just a passport. Only stays a few days tho.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

She said no jail time was ever said. Just said she would get jail time if she didn't pay the fine. RCMP officer also told her she could have it purged from her record.

The USA does not consider a Canadian pardon or purge, as it is from Canada so They still will consider her as having a record.

However, I suggust you call the court that she attended and request her court records to further help her case (I asked for 6 copies of each). If she had a summary offense and only one it is likely she will be ok.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

Like others have stated--get the court documents-----and when you get the background check, ensure you get the fingerprinting completed! Immigration attorney has no secret method---only method that have is taking ur $$$$$$. You will still have to run around and get the required documents!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

As Canadiandggal mentioned above, don't waste your time/money on getting a pardon or purging it. Immigration will still be able to see it on her background check and she will have to provide certified court documents of what section she was charged under the Canadian Criminal Code, what she was sentenced to and what (if any) probation she got.

And just as a FYI, it doesn't really matter what sentence she ended up with, what matters to Immigration is what the MAX she could have been sentenced to. That's what will make or break whether or not you will require a waiver.

Timeline

When I google "Lawful Distrubtion" under the CCC it tells me it falls under CCC section 327(1) (http://www.lawyers.ca/statutes/criminal_code_of_canada_theft.htm)

"Possession of device to obtain telecommunication facility or service

327. (1) Every one who, without lawful excuse, the proof of which lies on him, manufactures, possesses, sells or offers for sale or distributes any instrument or device or any component thereof, the design of which renders it primarily useful for obtaining the use of any telecommunication facility or service, under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the device has been used or is or was intended to be used to obtain the use of any telecommunication facility or service without payment of a lawful charge therefor, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.

Forfeiture

(2) Where a person is convicted of an offence under subsection (1) or paragraph 326(1)(b), any instrument or device in relation to which the offence was committed or the possession of which constituted the offence, on such conviction, in addition to any punishment that is imposed, may be ordered forfeited to Her Majesty, whereupon it may be disposed of as the Attorney General directs. "

If that is accurate, looks like what she was charged with is an indictable offense. Unfortunately, that's the more serious of Canada's two offenses (summary vs indictable). Tho, I am not a lawyer so I could be way off here...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.