Boondocks

Green Card renewal, what do I need to do?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife is approaching her "experiation date" on her green card (still outside of 90 days)

She and her son came over on K1/K2 Visas. And we were married in late 2010 (withn the 90 days).

We did her AOS middle of 2011 and she was approved and her Green Card was issued on Jan 2, 2011 and Expires on Jan 1, 2013

She was issued one of the "combo cards" where it shows "Employment Authorization Card" (at the top) and "Serves as I-512 Advance Parole" (at the bottom)

what I'm confussed about is she considered a "Conditional Resident"?

or is she considered a "Permanent Resident"?

so what forms do we need file to "renew" her gGreen Card or to be issued a "10 year Green Card"

do we only need file a "I-90 Form"

or do we need file a "I-751 Form"

or something else?

any help/info wiill be greatly appreciated

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You will need to remove the conditions on the green card. Follow the Guide here on VJ and things should go smoothly.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

The combo card is not a green card. That's an EAD and AP. The Green Card is different.

05/22/2012 - MAILED AOS PACKAGE.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN THE MAIL.
06/06/2012 - WALK IN BIOMETRICS COMPLETED.
07/11/2012 - TEXT AND EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF I-485 INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT.
07/13/2012 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF INTERVIEW NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
07/28/2012 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDER.
08/04/2012 - EAD CARD IN HAND.
08/15/2012 - GC INTERVIEW. APPROVED. PASSPORT STAMPED.
08/20/2012 - GC CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED.
08/23/2012 - GC RECEIVED.

06/28/2014 - MAILED I-751 PACKAGE

07/05/2014 - RECEIVED NOA 1

01/15/2016 - Interviewed and Approved.

08/02/2016 - N400 Interviewed and Approved.

Timeline

The combo card is not a green card. That's an EAD and AP. The Green Card is different.

Then I'm more confussed,

when you file the AOS I-485 after the biometrics and the Interview and they "grant you approval" are'nt you issued a Green Card? or am I totaly wrong.

I thought when you file the AOS this filing then gives your spouse a "Green Card" (when approved of course)

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Then I'm more confussed,

when you file the AOS I-485 after the biometrics and the Interview and they "grant you approval" are'nt you issued a Green Card? or am I totaly wrong.

I thought when you file the AOS this filing then gives your spouse a "Green Card" (when approved of course)

At this time your wife's residence is conditional to her staying married with you for two years, hence her green card showing an expiration date.

What she needs do, as another poster pointed out, is to initiate the process of Removal of Conditions - ROC - at which point she will receive a 'permanent green card' and become a de-facto 'permanent resident'. (She already is a permanent resident, so long as the conditions of her residence are met. In staying married to you for two years she has met those conditions.).

Here is the link to the USCIS guide on ROC: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=f858d59cb7a5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

It is just the last piece of bureaucracy so she can forget about the USCIS for a while...

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hi there,

Your wife is a "Conditional Permanent Resident" who needs to file for removal of conditions [by following the guidelines here on vj and or the uscis website] anywhere within the 90 days before her "conditional Green Card" expires. Good luck to you :thumbs:

Edited by KASH2011

Timeline

looking at the VJ guides for "removal of conditions" it says to enclose a copy of the front and back of her (and our child's) "Green Card".

But to the best of my knowldege my wife only recieved a "Combo" EAD & AP card, our child did not even receive this. He only recieved a "document" for Advance parole with the dates and his picture on it.

So do I send copies of my wife's EAD/AP card and a copy of our son's AP document?

or is there some "Green Card" we should have recieved but never did?

You are in the wrong forum. Go to removal of conditions.

Here is your direct link.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/86-removing-conditions-on-residency-general-discussion/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife is approaching her "experiation date" on her green card (still outside of 90 days)

She and her son came over on K1/K2 Visas. And we were married in late 2010 (withn the 90 days).

We did her AOS middle of 2011 and she was approved and her Green Card was issued on Jan 2, 2011 and Expires on Jan 1, 2013

She was issued one of the "combo cards" where it shows "Employment Authorization Card" (at the top) and "Serves as I-512 Advance Parole" (at the bottom)

what I'm confussed about is she considered a "Conditional Resident"?

or is she considered a "Permanent Resident"?

so what forms do we need file to "renew" her gGreen Card or to be issued a "10 year Green Card"

do we only need file a "I-90 Form"

or do we need file a "I-751 Form"

or something else?

any help/info wiill be greatly appreciated

IF you filed an I-485 for BOTH persons (you would need to file a separate I-485 for each person) then they should BOTH have green cards. "Permanent Resident" cards.

If they do not, THAT is the first issue to address. It is ebtirely possible to file fior and receive the EAD and AP without filing an I-485 for a green card. If that is what happened (you filed an I-765 instead) then she is NOT a permanent residetn and thei is no green to renew. You would now need to file an I-485 for BOTH persons. Since you have now been married two years they BOTH will be issued 10 year green cards and there will be no need to "lift conditions"

I susupect you filed the wrong form 2 years ago. Not to worry, she is not "illegal" just not a permanent resident. This will cause a delay in her being eligible for citizenship which is three years after becoming a permanent resident. File the I-485 now! It may be necessary to also include an I=130 for each person at this point also. Perhaps another member with that experience can chime in.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

IF you filed an I-485 for BOTH persons (you would need to file a separate I-485 for each person) then they should BOTH have green cards. "Permanent Resident" cards.

If they do not, THAT is the first issue to address. It is ebtirely possible to file fior and receive the EAD and AP without filing an I-485 for a green card. If that is what happened (you filed an I-765 instead) then she is NOT a permanent residetn and thei is no green to renew. You would now need to file an I-485 for BOTH persons. Since you have now been married two years they BOTH will be issued 10 year green cards and there will be no need to "lift conditions"

I susupect you filed the wrong form 2 years ago. Not to worry, she is not "illegal" just not a permanent resident. This will cause a delay in her being eligible for citizenship which is three years after becoming a permanent resident. File the I-485 now! It may be necessary to also include an I=130 for each person at this point also. Perhaps another member with that experience can chime in.

My apologies, I currently am on the road working and thought I had put "ALL" info/documents for the "Green Card" on my laptop.

Skyped with the wife and she informed me that both she and our son did in factrecieve a second card the actual "Green Card" stating "Permanant Resident" on top, wich expires March/2014. so have a bunch of time before needing to take the next step. But at least I'm educating myself

So his is all my error. but does bring up a question

The "Permanant Resident" card expires March/2014 but the EAD/AP card expires Jan 1, 2013. Do I need renew this EAD/AP card or does the "Permanant Resident" card superceede this card?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tanzania
Timeline

No need to renew the EAD/AP card as its basically non functional when you receive the green card.

All that matters is the green card is renewed before March 2014.

Jan 1999- F1 to USA

June 2006- AOS thru D.O.R.A.

Dec 2009- Oath. Finally a U.S Citizen

I am proud to be Tanzamerican!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My apologies, I currently am on the road working and thought I had put "ALL" info/documents for the "Green Card" on my laptop.

Skyped with the wife and she informed me that both she and our son did in factrecieve a second card the actual "Green Card" stating "Permanant Resident" on top, wich expires March/2014. so have a bunch of time before needing to take the next step. But at least I'm educating myself

So his is all my error. but does bring up a question

The "Permanant Resident" card expires March/2014 but the EAD/AP card expires Jan 1, 2013. Do I need renew this EAD/AP card or does the "Permanant Resident" card superceede this card?

No need to renew the EAD/AP card. The green card takes its place. Send in the I-751 in December 2013. You will send in ONE I-751 petition, ONE I-751 fee and TWO biometrics fees. They are both covered by the same I-751 petition.

You will be able to apply for her citizenship in December 2014. Send the N-400 for your wife at that time. The child will automatically become a citizen when she does if the child is under age 18

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.