noremac

Working in the USA

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would have to say the most depressing thing about working in this country(U.S.A) is the extremely low wages. For a job that I was getting paid $90,000 per year +OT for, employers here want to pay about $40,000 flat per year. Its slightly heart breaking, has anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with this? I am completely happy with every other aspect of my life here except for that one thing. It is really getting me down which affects everyone around me, I neeed to find a way to deal with it.

thanks

K1 Timeline:

30/05/11 I-129F Sent

06/06/11 NOA1 Recieved

15/07/11 Filed for Police Certificate

16/09/11 NOA2 Recieved

28/09/11 NVC Sent application to Sydney Consulate

06/10/11 Received Packet 3 from Sydney Consulate

30/10/11 Medical Exam

30/10/11 Sent Packet 3

15/11/11 Received Packet 4

29/11/11 Interview/Approval

09/12/11 Visa in hand

10/12/11 POE, LAX

16/12/11 Married

AOS Timeline

02/01/12 Sent AOS Packet

06/01/12 NOA1

13/01/12 Biometrics Appt Notice

17/01/12 Biometrics Walk-in

29/02/12 EAD/AP Aprroved, Card Production Ordered

01/03/12 Request for 'Green Card' interview

09/03/12 EAP/AP Combo Card In Hand

04/04/12 Perminant Residency interview

05/04/12 Perminant Residency approval via mail

02/05/12 Green Card In Hand

This process took us about year, it was very stressfull at times but well worth it.

(dates AUS format)

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I would have to say the most depressing thing about working in this country(U.S.A) is the extremely low wages. For a job that I was getting paid $90,000 per year +OT for, employers here want to pay about $40,000 flat per year. Its slightly heart breaking, has anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with this? I am completely happy with every other aspect of my life here except for that one thing. It is really getting me down which affects everyone around me, I need to find a way to deal with it.

thanks

I think that the short answer would be to adjust to your new salary and you will feel better. I know it sounds rude, but I mean it in a matter of fact and pragmatic way. Please take no exception to my words.

Secondly keep looking for other jobs in other places. When it comes to salaries, there is no fair market value per se, so you need to negotiate your salary when you are in the process of being hired. It really does not matter how much they want to pay you. What matters is how much you can convince them you're worth. If they want to pay $40K pa it is up to you to convince them you're worth more than that.

Last but not least, are you comparing gross income or take-home pay. At the end of the day what really matters is how much money you end up with for each paycheck. Also do some cost of living comparison so you can learn if there is a differential from your previous hometown to the current one. I hope that can help narrow the gap and make you feel better.

And yes, It sucks everywhere and the best thing to do is to roll with the punches. I can only hope you can make peace with it while looking for better opportunities.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

What field are you in and it can also be supply and demand.

In your home country it is possible they cannot find ppl that can do work you are doing and hence they are paying more to get ppl with skill, in region where you are now has plenty of resource who can do same thing as you are doing and low salary.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

One of the things I enjoy on these forums is comparing comments from people from first and third world countries :no:

Ahhhhhh....yes.

My wife's salary is equal to annual gross income of only $3,000.

Timeline

One of the things I enjoy on these forums is comparing comments from people from first and third world countries :no:

Your saying it's wrong for me to be paid what I'm worth? I really am trying to find a way to overcome this issue in my mind, looking for advice on how others have done it.

K1 Timeline:

30/05/11 I-129F Sent

06/06/11 NOA1 Recieved

16/09/11 NOA2 Recieved

30/10/11 Medical Exam

30/10/11 Sent Packet 3

09/12/11 Visa in hand

10/12/11 POE, LAX

16/12/11 Married

AOS Timeline

02/01/12 Sent AOS Packet

06/01/12 NOA1

This process took us about year, it was very stressfull at times but well worth it.

(dates AUS format)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your saying it's wrong for me to be paid what I'm worth? I really am trying to find a way to overcome this issue in my mind, looking for advice on how others have done it.

You're not going to get much advice on this forum unfortunately. I will PM you because any slightly negative comment about the US tends to end with "You hate the US so get out" posts :S

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would have to say the most depressing thing about working in this country(U.S.A) is the extremely low wages. For a job that I was getting paid $90,000 per year +OT for, employers here want to pay about $40,000 flat per year. Its slightly heart breaking, has anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with this? I am completely happy with every other aspect of my life here except for that one thing. It is really getting me down which affects everyone around me, I neeed to find a way to deal with it.

thanks

I can relate to this, I'm in the phase of acceptance before I move and this is how I've wrapped my head around it. I know not to expect the wages I'm getting now.

1, I'm moving to Hawaii, not exactly the financial hub of the USA, so the job availability for my skill set and target sector will be limited.

2, cost of living is lower, so I'm not going to need as much $ to pay for the same things

3, The US economy is not as good as it used to be, but it is turning around, things will get better, the US will always get back to the top of the ladder

4, I am choosing to move there to be with my SO, because right now, thats the best place for us to be

5, money vs sacrifice - at the end of the day, I'll work in Walmart (no offence to those that do) if I have to, as long as I can contribute to the household in some way, I have no intention on being precious about it, if thats all I can get for awhile, then thats what I'll do until something better comes along. I could earn a huge salary in Australia or I could be with my SO. He has told me he doesn't care if thats all I do

6, I'll be a foreigner, it doesn't matter what country you go to, local knowledge has a trump card, earn the local knowledge card and you will do better. This will be the 3rd country I've lived in, both Australia and Canada was the same way with local knowledge, I needed to earn my reputation all over again. its just the way things go.

Thats just a few things, I'm setting expectations for myself before I go.

And don't forget, this is your experience, neither you nor anyone else can truly compare it to theirs, or anyone elses until they have walked the whole distance in your shoes.

Edited by SweetDelish

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Timeline

I can relate to this, I'm in the phase of acceptance before I move and this is how I've wrapped my head around it. I know not to expect the wages I'm getting now.

1, I'm moving to Hawaii, not exactly the financial hub of the USA, so the job availability for my skill set and target sector will be limited.

2, cost of living is lower, so I'm not going to need as much $ to pay for the same things

3, The US economy is not as good as it used to be, but it is turning around, things will get better, the US will always get back to the top of the ladder

4, I am choosing to move there to be with my SO, because right now, thats the best place for us to be

5, money vs sacrifice - at the end of the day, I'll work in Walmart (no offence to those that do) if I have to, as long as I can contribute to the household in some way, I have no intention on being precious about it, if thats all I can get for awhile, then thats what I'll do until something better comes along. I could earn a huge salary in Australia or I could be with my SO. He has told me he doesn't care if thats all I do

6, I'll be a foreigner, it doesn't matter what country you go to, local knowledge has a trump card, earn the local knowledge card and you will do better. This will be the 3rd country I've lived in, both Australia and Canada was the same way with local knowledge, I needed to earn my reputation all over again. its just the way things go.

Thats just a few things, I'm setting expectations for myself before I go.

And don't forget, this is your experience, neither you nor anyone else can truly compare it to theirs, or anyone elses until they have walked the whole distance in your shoes.

I appreciate your words of advice :)

K1 Timeline:

30/05/11 I-129F Sent

06/06/11 NOA1 Recieved

16/09/11 NOA2 Recieved

30/10/11 Medical Exam

30/10/11 Sent Packet 3

09/12/11 Visa in hand

10/12/11 POE, LAX

16/12/11 Married

AOS Timeline

02/01/12 Sent AOS Packet

06/01/12 NOA1

(dates AUS format)

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband is in the same position, he is often very upset about it. His wage has been cut way more than half. In fact, he makes only slightly more than minimum wage. Only thing we can do for now is keep working the job he DOES have, it took a while for him to find the crappy one he is working, and keep looking in the meantime. Hopefully something better will come along, and hopefully the economy will start to improve. Everyday I feel guilty for us making the decision for him to move here, but for multiple reasons, it was the best choice. I guess the answer isn't always money, but it is nice to be financially stable. good luck, and if you find a solution, please share it with me =)

s-event.png

My salary coming from NZ are quite a bit lower than the average salary for my field in America but that is because New Zealand is a low paying country.

America cost of living is also MUCH cheaper than New Zealand so much so that it bumps my US salary comparatively up a lot.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably about the same uk -us.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Don't give up. Accept it as part of the move, and start thinking about a longer term plan that will enable you to charge more for your services. And negotiate! Hustle! Don't just accept salaries that people offer. See if you can do any contracting or anything extra on the side. The big downside here is the lack of a good minimum wage so the more you can avoid that type of work, the better.

I had to take a pay cut as well, but the cost of living is lower, so even though I earn less, I have a better car and bigger house. Still, it would be nice if my $ were worth something back in Aus. I look at it as the cost of the experience. I did things to increase my income when I came here, and over time, it has improved, although I would still be earning a buckload more money back in Australia.

People who say "it's only money" still need to accept that money pays for healthcare, education, retirement, heating bills etc and it's important. It's not everything, but it is important. People shouldn't discount somebody's concerns about earning less.

Chin up.

Cheers,

Travelfairy

Package sent to: Chicago Office

Local Office: Saint Paul, MN

Primary Filings: I0-485, I-130, I-765

Date Filed : 11 Sept 2012

NOA Date : 17 Sept 2012

Bio. Appt.. : 12 Oct 2012

EAD in Production: 14 Nov 2012

EAD Received : 24 Nov 2012

Interview Date : 12 February 2013

Approved : 13 February 2013

GC in Production: 19 February 2013

GC Received: 25 February 2013

Petition to Remove Conditions (I-751)

Date of I-751 = 28 Jan 2015

NOA Date = 29 Jan 2015

Biometrics = 26 Feb 2015

Approved = 25 June 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.