lynny

Vegemite Illegal

38 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why folic acid can be added legally only to breads and cereals?

I do not think the FDA limits folate (folic acid) only to grains, but I could be wrong. I understood vegemite was banned because the FDA claims the levels of folate are too high and could be a health risk.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Does anyone know why folic acid can be added legally only to breads and cereals?

I do not think the FDA limits folate (folic acid) only to grains, but I could be wrong. I understood vegemite was banned because the FDA claims the levels of folate are too high and could be a health risk.

According to the article in the OP:

"The Aussie staple contains folate, which can only be added to breads and cereals, according to News Ltd newspapers.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott told the Sunday Times: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration does not allow the import of Vegemite, simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

According to the article in the OP:

"The Aussie staple contains folate, which can only be added to breads and cereals, according to News Ltd newspapers.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott told the Sunday Times: "The (US) Food and Drug Administration does not allow the import of Vegemite, simply because the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

yes i am a little confused but I am thinking that the rule is not a specific ban on adding it to other foods, but the result of a technicality of the implementation of the law.

High levels of folate can mask symptoms of deficiency of one form of B12 vitamin, but otherwise is completely harmless and a very healthy supplement.

I guess it was said best in an earlier post - FDA = Food nazis

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Did a little search on vegemite and came up with this site. It gave me a chuckle as I read through their introduction to vegemite lol

http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/vegemite/vegemite.html

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Uh, no such thing as "too high" on water-soluble vitamins (such as folate).

They're just on power-kick since banning trans-fat in NYC.

I guess one could always make a trip to Canada to buy some (if you know where to find it)

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't particularly like vegemite myself, but an ouright ban of it for having a vitimin in it is kinda stupid.

Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin that occurs naturally in food. Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate that is found in supplements and added to fortified foods [1].

Folate gets its name from the Latin word "folium" for leaf. A key observation of researcher Lucy Wills nearly 70 years ago led to the identification of folate as the nutrient needed to prevent the anemia of pregnancy. Dr. Wills demonstrated that the anemia could be corrected by a yeast extract. Folate was identified as the corrective substance in yeast extract in the late 1930s, and was extracted from spinach leaves in 1941.

why don't they just ban spinach?...oh waitaminit...hmmm

Conspiracy theory anyone?

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Anyone who has ever eaten Vegemite (or Marmite even, both are similar) will know that you use it sparingly. You ain't going to stick a spoon in and gobble the whole jar at once (well, okay some of you addicts might! :lol: ). In fact, a whole jar can last months. I fail to see how you could consume dangerous amounts of folate through that.

Just the men in suits yet again getting their jollies from banning stuff.

Edited by mags

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
It came to the attention of many Americans through the lyrics of Men At Work's 1982 song "Down Under", which mention "a vegemite sandwich".

That's where I first heard of it :yes:

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
when does this take effect?? we buy it at a little aussie store here.

they have a little aussie store there??? is it owned by aussies??? ...are the prices an absolute rip-off??

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
they have a little aussie store there??? is it owned by aussies??? ...are the prices an absolute rip-off??

yes, yes and yes

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Okay people, listen. Vegemite was banned because the FDA regulates imported food and Kraft did not file for the proper perrmit. That's all. It's not some crazy irrational regulation. It's Kraft not wanting to waste time on a product that doesn't sell.

"It appears Kraft didn't submit processing information for a low acid food. A search of the FDA points out that US manufacturers have to submit safety information forms for similar products. This is just Kraft being lazy for a product that doesn't sell well in the US and dumb australians making a story off a wikipedia quote (saying that it is banned because of a folic acid product technicality) - not the real reason that the manufacturing process must be approved by the FDA. Yeast is a fungus that with improper handling could cause sickness. Not a dumb FDA, but a badly researched sensational article."

And here is the judgement from the FDA explaining the ban. Kraft just has to explain the manufacturing process and ASK to be allowed to import Vegemite and then it won't be banned.

signature here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I just ordered some vegemite online, also got my kids to send me some, Now to see if it gets here or stopped at customs

CANT LIVE without my vegemite

Nov 11th 2003 sent i29f form to VSC

Nov 18th 2003 received NOA 1

Jan 17th 2004 NOA 2

Feb 6th 2004 received package 3

March 11th 2004 recieved package 4

April 7th 2004 interview in Sydney

April 7th 2004 VISA GRANTED

April 27th 2004 Arrive in Boston 8.30pm

may 29th 2004 WEDDING DAY

May 11th 2004 applied for SSN

May 17th received SSN card

June 12th 2004 applied for AOS EAD AP

July 7th 2004 NOA received for AOS EAD

August 3rd 2004 Biometrics appt in Rhode Island

EAD approved online Aug 3rd 2004

EAD card arrived in the Mail Aug 9th 2004

started working 13th September 2004

applied for renewal of EAD May 9th 2005

bio appt for EAD renewal June 10th 2005 in Boston

July 6th renewal EAD approved

July 12th 2005 renewal EAD arrived in the mail

Sept 12th AOS suspended until FBI fingerprints are done

Sept 17th FBI fingerprint appt

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview success

aussies and their vegemite..sheesh....

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835