A&C

Travelling inside the state on K1 visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

We are planning our honeymoon and i have few question?

1- Can I go by plan one state to another state on K1 visa?

2- I know Hawaii is the US state but some people thing you fly on international ocean. So my question is can I go Hawaii on K1 visa?

3- Can i go to St. Thomas in central America?

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

2- I know Hawaii is the US state but some people thing you fly on international ocean. So my question is can I go Hawaii on K1 visa?

Thanks

Sounds like some great plans! It seems that the key is to not have any intermediate stops in another country, no international layovers.

We were concerned with the same issue, and as a consequence we are holding off on any non-US mainland trips, honeymoon or otherwise, until my wife gets AP or GC approval. Besides, there are lots of great places on the mainland that she has yet to experience.

YMMV

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks

You can travel to both destinations, as they are considered domestic flights provided you fly non stop from the mainland. Make sure you have your passport on you if you do.

Ps. I presume you are speaking of St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands.

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Hi,

Thanks

When going thru security with a TSA agent, you can show them any form of ID as long as the name on the ID matches the name on the boarding pass. If your destination is a US state or territory with no stops at an international location, you will not need to go thru passport control and will not need the GC or AP to re-enter the US. For Hawaii you are flying over international water, but it is like flying over Canada to get to NYC. As long as you do not land at an international location that requires you to use a passport you are fine.

Enjoy your trip,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

yeah like all of the above posts say. Travel within the states you will be fine. just dont go to Puetro rico.

Why not?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
PR is OK too.
Legally, perhaps; functionally, no. There are far too many stories of abusive questioning by CBP agents in Puerto Rico when "K-1 entrants eligible for adjustment" or even LPRs try to board planes to go home.

A correction: OP, you're not traveling "with your K-1 visa." The visa was dead upon your first entry to the U.S. You'd be traveling on your (hopefully unexpired) I-94. Be damned sure that it's unexpired if you plan to travel within a 100-mile radius of either U.S. border, especially the southern. Whether it's expired or unexpired, keep with you at all times your marriage certificate and either a copy of your NOA1 for AOS or at least a photocopy of your cover-letter & payment for AOS.

A caution: Whereas the TSA tends to care that the photo ID and ticket/boarding pass match, sometimes CBP/ICE agents hang out at airports.

In general: The Federal government has unlimited time and resources to make our lives miserable. Avoid underestimating this.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

A visa is only for entry to a country.

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Legally, perhaps; functionally, no. There are far too many stories of abusive questioning by CBP agents in Puerto Rico when "K-1 entrants eligible for adjustment" or even LPRs try to board planes to go home.

A correction: OP, you're not traveling "with your K-1 visa." The visa was dead upon your first entry to the U.S. You'd be traveling on your (hopefully unexpired) I-94. Be damned sure that it's unexpired if you plan to travel within a 100-mile radius of either U.S. border, especially the southern. Whether it's expired or unexpired, keep with you at all times your marriage certificate and either a copy of your NOA1 for AOS or at least a photocopy of your cover-letter & payment for AOS.

A caution: Whereas the TSA tends to care that the photo ID and ticket/boarding pass match, sometimes CBP/ICE agents hang out at airports.

In general: The Federal government has unlimited time and resources to make our lives miserable. Avoid underestimating this.

I agree 100% with staying away from the southern border. My wife came down to McAllen (Texas border with Mexico) from Houston to visit me while I was TDY there. Border patrol stopped her at airport on the away back bome with expired I-94 (thank you USCIS for being so damned slow!), detained her and questioned her for hours before they called me. The only thing that saved her from further hassle is that I am a Federal Agent. I was able to talk them into checking her I-485 status, and they let her go.

Edited by Lagavulin

11/08/2011 K-1 Visa Issued

11/15/2011 Arrive USA

12/15/2011 Married

01/03/2012 Sent Package for I-485 and I-131

01/10/2012 Received Email receipt for I-485 and I-131

02/01/2012 Biometrics Appt.

02/03/2012 I-485 transferred to CSC

03/09/2012 AP approved

07/19/2012 Contacted congressman re: over 180 days/ Submitted service request with USCIS

07/24/2012 Congressional Inquiry submitted to USCIS

08/10/2012 Senator contacted

08/14/2012 Senator #2 contacted

08/27/2012 AOS Approved....finally!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.