WhiteFox

Trouble proving citizenship

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello again lovely VJ!

Currently I've filed for a K1 visa for my Australian fiance, and I need my father as a co-sponsor for him, but I've run into a complex situation and I'm not sure where to go, and any advice or help would be appreciated.

My father was born in Japan on an American military base in 1953 to his American citizen father (serving in the navy), and then moved to the US in 1956. The only 'proof' I have of his US citizenship is a VERY expired US passport that he received when entering the country at 3 years old. He has no contact with his father or mother now so any documents that would have been helpful are gone, no birth certificate, no FS-240. The only thing we have is the expired US Passport from 1956.

I also could not find much information about whether he could have an FS-240 at all, because its highly unlikely either of his parents would have registered his birth with the consulate at the time. (This might be a -very- silly idea but do you think it's possible that the military might have done that for them?)

So! here is where I am lost:

What would be the easiest, cheapest way to prove his citizenship to the USCIS in order for him to be my sponsor? Would trying to get a copy of his birth certificate be sufficient? Maybe attempt to renew the ages old passport? Try to get a copy of the FS-240? Call a lawyer?

I hope this all makes sense, I've driven myself insane with google searching and I need some help.

Thank you SOOO much VJ I wouldn't have even gotten this far without you!

Adjustment of Status from K1

• February 28, 2013 - I-485 and I-765 packet sent
• March 7, 2013 - Confimation email received with Case number

• April 25, 2013 - Online case status shows message that greencard has been approved and mailed.
• April 29, 2013 - Form I-797C NOA received in mail for I-485 and I-765, Biometric appointment also received
• May 9, 2013 - Biometrics appointment in Oxnard, CA
• May 13, 2013 - RFE for I-765 received in mail, requesting for physical address.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I believe an expired passport does that. He would not have been issued a US passport if he wasn't a USC. Why not just try going for the birth certificate or renewing his passport? Also contact the military.

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What sort of id does he have today? Has he lived in the US all his life and managed to have zero id? I would expect he's had subsequent US passports(but maybe not) and a state id and a social? If he's a US citizen he's also voted so how has he proved his US citizenship then?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have a similar situation with one of my relatives who was born in Japan in 1983.

What you will need it Certification of Birth Abroad ( that is issued by the US consulate where he was born)

What my relative did is she contacted the embassy and they directed her with forms to be filled, fees ,,,etc etc

Once this is issued, this is a prove of citizenship and he can issue whatever he wants using it (ex. passport)

I hope that helps.

YA ALAH Bless Our Joureny To The End , Ameen

Je T'aime Till My Dying Day

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hello again lovely VJ!

Currently I've filed for a K1 visa for my Australian fiance, and I need my father as a co-sponsor for him, but I've run into a complex situation and I'm not sure where to go, and any advice or help would be appreciated.

My father was born in Japan on an American military base in 1953 to his American citizen father (serving in the navy), and then moved to the US in 1956. The only 'proof' I have of his US citizenship is a VERY expired US passport that he received when entering the country at 3 years old. He has no contact with his father or mother now so any documents that would have been helpful are gone, no birth certificate, no FS-240. The only thing we have is the expired US Passport from 1956.

I also could not find much information about whether he could have an FS-240 at all, because its highly unlikely either of his parents would have registered his birth with the consulate at the time. (This might be a -very- silly idea but do you think it's possible that the military might have done that for them?)

What would be the easiest, cheapest way to prove his citizenship to the USCIS in order for him to be my sponsor? Would trying to get a copy of his birth certificate be sufficient? Maybe attempt to renew the ages old passport? Try to get a copy of the FS-240? Call a lawyer?

I hope this all makes sense, I've driven myself insane with google searching and I need some help.

Do you need your father to sponsor you or to co-sponsor your fiancé?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Hello again lovely VJ!

First, I would make a copy of his entire passport for your files and his. Second, I would go here and begin the process of getting a new passport. Since his old passport was issued when he was under 16 and more than 15 years ago, he will need to apply in person. He can use the old passport as proof of his US citizenship. Once he has a new passport that can be used as proof he is a USC without question. The old passport should work, but someone may not accept it as it is expired and was issued when he was a child.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

thank you for everyone's quick responses, it's so appreciated! We have decided to go with Dave's suggestion and get his passport renewed through going to the post office in person and expediting it. Thank you everyone who took the time to read and help me out!! much love!

Adjustment of Status from K1

• February 28, 2013 - I-485 and I-765 packet sent
• March 7, 2013 - Confimation email received with Case number

• April 25, 2013 - Online case status shows message that greencard has been approved and mailed.
• April 29, 2013 - Form I-797C NOA received in mail for I-485 and I-765, Biometric appointment also received
• May 9, 2013 - Biometrics appointment in Oxnard, CA
• May 13, 2013 - RFE for I-765 received in mail, requesting for physical address.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.