lucy4

Sponsoring Out of Status Parent of US Citizen

14 posts in this topic

I know a woman who is here in the US (illegally) with her two minor children. One child is a citizen, and she is currently in the process of getting a GC for the other child. Her visa has not yet expired, but she has overstayed her allotted time by about 2.5 yrs. Is there any way that she can become legal? I was telling her that her daughter can file for her once she turns 21, but now Im wondering about the overstaying.

Would her daughter just petition her and she return home once its approved and go do her medical etc. What problems will she face because she overstayed her tourist visa?

10/10/07 - I-129F sent to VSC

04/30/08 - POE Newark

07/06/08 - Wedding..... I'm Married Yall!!!

I130 for Minor Child

7/26/12 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

3/25/13 - NVC received my case

4/08/13 - Emailed ds3032 template

4/09/13 - NVC case number and IIN number generated

4/11/13 - aos fee bill invoiced/paid/and pkg sent

4/12/13 - aos fee paid again after being rejected/ds3032 resent and accepted

4/15/13 - aos pkg delivered/iv bill invoiced and paid

4/16/13 - iv pkg sent express mail/ aos status changed to paid

4/17/13 - iv pkg delivered/ iv status changed to paid.

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

5/10/13 - Interview notice emailed.

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Once her daughter is 21 she can petition and that woman you know will be able to adjust the status within US - overstay will not be an issue. If she leaves and gets deported in that time, then she will have a ban which she will have to wait out or apply for a waiver.

Once her daughter is 21 she can petition and that woman you know will be able to adjust the status within US - overstay will not be an issue. If she leaves and gets deported in that time, then she will have a ban which she will have to wait out or apply for a waiver.

Ok. Wouldnt she have to go to the embassy in her home country though? Or when the daughter petitions, does she just put the US address for the mom?

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

if she is illegal then she is illegal, and should self deport immediately.

why would we help her circumvent the law?

that would make us accessories to the fact, and also violate the terms of service for this website.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How is the other child getting legal status?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

if she is illegal then she is illegal, and should self deport immediately.

why would we help her circumvent the law?

that would make us accessories to the fact, and also violate the terms of service for this website.

Thanks for your help.

How is the other child getting legal status?

Im not sure of the agency, but she got some legal help, went through the courts and everything.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Timeline

Thanks for your help.

Im not sure of the agency, but she got some legal help, went through the courts and everything.

most likely a falsified green card that she tells people is legitimate.

you can buy one in most major cities for $200 or so...

there is no legitimate way, unless the father is USC and is paternity tested.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Courts are not involved in getting a green card unless it's an immigration court or a lawsuit is involved. You don't go to immigration court unless you're already in big trouble with the US government. You don't file a lawsuit until after you've gone to immigration court and failed.

Immigrants who are in the country illegally will often make up stories about their status or the status of their family members, hoping that the person listening doesn't understand enough about immigration to know whether the story is true. I had a neighbor once who came to the US by walking across the border with his wife and two kids. They had one more kid who was subsequently born in the US. He told me that the kid born in the US made it possible for his other kids to qualify for green cards, and said they were in the process of getting those green cards. At the time, I didn't know any better and just presumed it was true. A few years later, all of them except for the kid who was born in the US were in removal proceedings, and he finally admitted to me that the green card story was a lie. He made it up because he didn't want me to think his kids were illegal.

Unless your friend's kid has a parent who is a US citizen then the kid isn't eligible to adjust status and get a green card. Maybe they're applying for deferred action. That's not the same thing as a green card, and it will never lead to a green card. It's a temporary stay of deportation with an option to get an employment authorization card.

If your friend manages to stay under the radar until her US citizen child is 21 then her child can petition for her. Since she'll be an immediate relative of a US citizen then her overstay won't be an issue. The other kid is a problem, though. The US citizen child could also petition for the sibling when she's 21, but that won't be an immediate relative category - the child would need to have current non-immigrant status in order to adjust status and get a green card. Same thing if mom petitions for the kid after she gets her green card.

Maybe your friend will get lucky and fall in love with a US citizen...

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Courts are not involved in getting a green card unless it's an immigration court or a lawsuit is involved. You don't go to immigration court unless you're already in big trouble with the US government. You don't file a lawsuit until after you've gone to immigration court and failed.

Immigrants who are in the country illegally will often make up stories about their status or the status of their family members, hoping that the person listening doesn't understand enough about immigration to know whether the story is true. I had a neighbor once who came to the US by walking across the border with his wife and two kids. They had one more kid who was subsequently born in the US. He told me that the kid born in the US made it possible for his other kids to qualify for green cards, and said they were in the process of getting those green cards. At the time, I didn't know any better and just presumed it was true. A few years later, all of them except for the kid who was born in the US were in removal proceedings, and he finally admitted to me that the green card story was a lie. He made it up because he didn't want me to think his kids were illegal.

Unless your friend's kid has a parent who is a US citizen then the kid isn't eligible to adjust status and get a green card. Maybe they're applying for deferred action. That's not the same thing as a green card, and it will never lead to a green card. It's a temporary stay of deportation with an option to get an employment authorization card.

If your friend manages to stay under the radar until her US citizen child is 21 then her child can petition for her. Since she'll be an immediate relative of a US citizen then her overstay won't be an issue. The other kid is a problem, though. The US citizen child could also petition for the sibling when she's 21, but that won't be an immediate relative category - the child would need to have current non-immigrant status in order to adjust status and get a green card. Same thing if mom petitions for the kid after she gets her green card.

Maybe your friend will get lucky and fall in love with a US citizen...

Thanks. I dont really know much about the non citizen child status, we didnt get to discuss it too much. The points I made were just what I remembered from our conversation. I do recall her mentioning a specific title of the legal act, but I dont remember it. I think it was special immigrants juvenile act, or something to that effect.

As far as her status, she is actually already dating a citizen and will probably go that route. We were just discussing what other options she may have.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

most likely a falsified green card that she tells people is legitimate.

you can buy one in most major cities for $200 or so...

there is no legitimate way, unless the father is USC and is paternity tested.

You dont really have to post anymore. I wouldnt want to make you an accessory to her pursuit of becoming a documented democrat.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

How old is the kids who is USC?

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Timeline

You dont really have to post anymore. I wouldnt want to make you an accessory to her pursuit of becoming a documented democrat.

lots of people read this site, and take from the threads hereon information they believe to be accurate. when we see inaccuracies it is our responsibility to correct them.

the terms of service on this site forbid us from aiding and abetting illegal activity. that is what this thread is about, in essence.

lots of people read this site, and take from the threads hereon information they believe to be accurate. when we see inaccuracies it is our responsibility to correct them.

the terms of service on this site forbid us from aiding and abetting illegal activity. that is what this thread is about, in essence.

Ive seen lots of topics on this site where people ask about what course of action they can take after overstaying their visa and trying to become legal. She did the same, and her children are here legally. I dont know if you work for uscis or not, but I dont so Ill leave it up to them to deport her. Til that happens, if she can correct her situation and stay with her children legally, better for her. Im all for people bettering themselves and their situations. If I think its shady, rather than accuse people I know nothing about of buying green cards etc, Id just not post.

04/30/08 - POE Newark

I130 for Minor Child

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.