Karee

Citizen or Not

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My mother was born to an American father and a Canadian mother while they were visiting St. Thomas, Ontario in 1948. My mother has lived her entire life in the U.S. They were just visiting Canada.

Question 1:

Can she get a U.S. passport? Or is she considered a Canadian citizen?

Question 2:

I am persona non grata to Canada thanks to some B.S. at the Montreal airport. If my mom is able to get Canadian citizenship, does that give me any benefits?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Is your mother a US citizen? If yes, then she is eligible for a US passport.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

#1 She has to be a citizen of one or the other right? It sounds like she may have a claim to citizenship in both countires.

#2 I'm not sure if BS is legal grounds for the denial of immigration benefits in Canada.

Timeline

Is your mother a US citizen? If yes, then she is eligible for a US passport.

I'm not sure how they classify her. She has lived in the U.S. her entire life. But she wasn't born in the U.S.

Timeline

#1 She has to be a citizen of one or the other right? It sounds like she may have a claim to citizenship in both countires.

#2 I'm not sure if BS is legal grounds for the denial of immigration benefits in Canada.

#2... I've had a few legal issues in the U.S. back in the early 90s. DWI. Even though I lived in Montreal for 2 years. Canada didn't like it, and walked me to the airport in Montreal and told me to pi$$ off and not come back.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm not sure how they classify her. She has lived in the U.S. her entire life. But she wasn't born in the U.S.

What does your mom think she is? More importantly, what can she prove?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since your mom was born in Canada, she is a Canadian citizen . Her birth certificate is evidence of this. Since she is Canadian, you are very likely eligible to claim Canadian citizenship through her. Citizenship and immigration Canada has a really great website and quiz you can take to help determine eligibility. I would check it out. I can't link it on my tablet, but if you Google "am I a Canadian citizen?" It comes up.

Since she was born to an American father, she is quite possibly an American citizen as well. It depends on the laws and residency requirements that were in place when she was born. If she is, she will need to prove her fathers citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would suggest you give the Canadian governement a call

This page is somewhat helpful with regard to whether you can obtain citizenship once/if your mother obtains her proof of citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/proof.asp

Contact information

You can obtain information on CIC’s programs and services by consulting the Department’s website at www.cic.gc.ca. You can also download and print application forms.

If you are in Canada, you can contact the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 (toll-free) for more information.

The automated voice response system can provide you with answers to general questions 24 hours a day.

You can also speak to an agent between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. your local time. If you are hard of hearing and you use a text telephone, you can access the TTY service at 1-888-576-8502 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. your local time.

If you are outside Canada, contact the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your region.

CIC publications can be found on the Department’s website at www.cic.gc.ca.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can call 1 800 O Canada .. they can answer all your questions.

But from what I read, your mother is a Canadian Citizen, as that is where she was born, your father a US citizen, because thats where he was born. Your citizenship is to where you were born, but you may apply for a Canadian passport based on your mothers citizenship. It doesnt matter where she was raised.

I have a friend living in London, England. When I asked him how he got through immigration, he said his grandfather was born in the UK, so he was able to get his citizenship via that.

Its really not that difficult .. the USA allows "grandfathering" in for citizenship aswell, so this isnt something new.

Oh, and Canada does too ... they have a serious issue where other people would come to Canada, have the baby, take the baby back to whatever country they are from, raise said baby, and when baby is an adult, that person will come back to Canada, sponser his/her parents and they will retire on Canadas system. They know this happens, but they dont know how to stop it.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.