one...two...tree

Spanking Linked to Mental Illness, Says Study

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Although the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) strongly discourages spanking, at least half of parents admit to physically punishing their children. Some research suggests that as many as 70-90 percent of mothers have resorted to spanking at one time or another. A new study published in the journal Pediatrics may cause parents to think more carefully before laying a hand on their little ones. Related: Should Your Child be Spanked at School?

Researchers examined data from more than 34,000 adults and found that being spanked significantly increased the risk of developing mental health issues as adults. According to their results, corporal punishment is associated with mood disorders, including depression and anxiety, as well as personality disorders and alcohol and drug abuse. They estimate that as much as 7 percent of adult mental illness may be attributable to childhood physical punishment, including slapping, shoving, grabbing, and hitting. The study reports that spanking ups the risk of major depression by 41 percent, alcohol and drug abuse by 59 percent, and mania by 93 percent, among other findings.

"We're not talking about just a tap on the bum," study author Tracie Afifi, PhD, of the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, explained in a statement. "We were looking at people who used physical punishment as a regular means to discipline their children." However, the analysis excluded individuals who reported more severe maltreatment such as physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical neglect, emotional neglect, or exposure to intimate partner violence.

"It definitely points to the direction that physical punishment should not be used on children of any age," said Afifi. Researchers concluded, "It is important for pediatricians and other healthcare providers who work with children and parents to be aware of the link between physical punishment and mental disorders."

The physical punishment of children is legal in the United States, although it is banned in at least 24 other countries. It's worth noting that 19 states also allow corporal punishment in schools. Earlier studies have linked spanking toddlers to increased aggression in older children. Spare the rod, spare the child?

http://shine.yahoo.c...-175900352.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Mental spanking is more damaging IMHO.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was spanked as a child, sometimes with the belt. It explains why

I'm a basketcase today :dance:

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's really astonishing that this is allowed, especially in school. I saw a child get whipped repeatedly with a belt in broad daylight at a mall. The mother and grandmother just stood there and looked the other way while the child had the daylights beat out of him, he couldn't have been older than 10. The belt was covered in metal, it was really horrific.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's really astonishing that this is allowed, especially in school. I saw a child get whipped repeatedly with a belt in broad daylight at a mall. The mother and grandmother just stood there and looked the other way while the child had the daylights beat out of him, he couldn't have been older than 10. The belt was covered in metal, it was really horrific.

Some children it helps, and some it hinders.

Human beings might be capable of understanding one another, but just like any other animal, the only way to tame/teach some if to physically punish them.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Some children it helps, and some it hinders.

Human beings might be capable of understanding one another, but just like any other animal, the only way to tame/teach some if to physically punish them.

No child deserves to be whipped with a belt, especially not in public and especially not one covered in metal. No child. If I did that to you it would be assault and I would be arrested!

Edited by rocks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No child deserves to be whipped with a belt, especially not in public and especially not one covered in metal. No child. If I did that to you it would be assault and I would be arrested!

I concur - that was extreme.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Nah, if you did it to me you'd be flat on your back :lol:

If a parent wants to smack their child as punishment, it's honestly none of your damn business. Just as it's none of my business how you raise your kids.

How is it OK to do that to a defenseless child who is less than 10 years old? The father made it my business when he did it outside a store I was going into. I hope when his kid grows up he does it back to him. :P

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Nah, if you did it to me you'd be flat on your back :lol:

If a parent wants to smack their child as punishment, it's honestly none of your damn business. Just as it's none of my business how you raise your kids.

All 50 states do permit corporal punishment at this time, with the general condition that such punishment must not be excessive in the judgement of a third party such as CPS or law enforcement.

Usually CPS or law enforcement gets involved when they are alerted by another neutral party, ie any observer, teacher, friend and so forth.

So you can fool yourself into thinking it's nobody business, but if you ever have kids and discipline them in a way that someone else condsiders excessive, you will find out you are wrong.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

(edited to remove quoted inappropriate comment removed from thread, and response)

All 50 states do permit corporal punishment at this time, with the general condition that such punishment must not be excessive in the judgement of a third party such as CPS or law enforcement.

Usually CPS or law enforcement gets involved when they are alerted by another neutral party, ie any observer, teacher, friend and so forth.

So you can fool yourself into thinking it's nobody business, but if you ever have kids and discipline them in a way that someone else condsiders excessive, you will find out you are wrong.

Nah. See CPS and law enforcement can only truly do anything if there are physical marks left. You can beat the ####### out of your kids all day long as long as there's no physical evidence of it.

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove quoted post also removed

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Post containing inappropriate images has been removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!