Moonlight2011

Texas written driving test

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi Folks,

Anyboy, that experienced the Written driving test in Texas ( houston)..?i need some advice in how to prepare better to the test and make sure i will not fail.

website for free test, or if people gathered some questions template already from recent test??...

Thank you

I read the manual, and took the practice test. I passed first time, but it was close, because it was somewhat heavy on the "how many feet to stop" kind of questions, which requires memorization and I suck at that these days. A friend of mine took it, failed the first time, and said the second test was much easier.

Oh, and yes, I am in Houston, I took it at the one on Gessner. Long wait - I ended up being there for 4+ hours. My friend went to one just off the 45, later in the afternoon, and she didn't have to wait at all.

Edited for cruddy spelling.

Edited by ValerieA

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

did you google for a sample test yet? I found a lot of them in my language, Japanese. I took the test in Japanese too. Pretty sure there are many English test samples available online. Look through them several times and you're more than good to go.

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Rather than suffer through hours at a Houston-area license office, have someone drive you down to Angleton, about 45 miles away in Brazoria County. Much faster there, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Or Galveston. Or Dickinson. Or Texas City. Or...

That Gessner office can be brutal in the delays.

Tips--practice, practice, practice. The first thing you do for most of the tests is the parallel parking. If you can set up a couple of flags (or un-lit tiki torches on some dirt), this is a good way to get your practice in. Do it repeatedly. Don't forget to use your turn signal.

In some Houston offices, you have to make an appointment for the driving part. My son used a driving school and had his driving part of the test with them. I'm not sure if that is an option for everyone or just minors or what, but it might be something to check out.

Good luck. Once you've passed it, come back to this thread and give an update for anyone searching for info in the future. :)

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Hi Folks,

Anyboy, that experienced the Written driving test in Texas ( houston)..?i need some advice in how to prepare better to the test and make sure i will not fail.

website for free test, or if people gathered some questions template already from recent test??...

Thank you

Go to a DPS office and ask for the yellow handbook and study that. It's free. The first of the book is about teen drivers and penalties for them. There are a lot of questions on the test about that, so don't skip over that part because you're not a teen and it doesn't apply to you. It will be on the test.

Here's something that may interest the rest of you Houston area drivers---new super centers planned by the DPS. I read it in the Brazosport Facts (Brazoria County paper). It requires a subscription log-in so I will cut and paste the main part. The first of the article is about how slow the Angleton office is. ( hahaha--they should experience a Houston office). I'm only posting what the DPS said about the new offices....

“We’re working on things to make this better. We’re in the process of building six new Driver License Mega-Centers,” said Tom Carter, senior regional manager of Region 2A of the Driver License Division.

Two centers will be built in the Dallas area, and the others will be built in San Antonio, Austin, Rosenberg and Spring.
The Rosenberg location will be at Highway 59 South and Highway 36 and the Spring location will be at 4740 Spring Cypress Road. The Houston area locations are projected to open Sept. 1

These “Mega-Centers” will be significantly larger than a typical driver’s license office and will each have a minimum of 25 employees. They will require the majority of Texas DPS’ budget.

“The majority of that money is going to staff the new centers, and of course a good portion will go to building the centers and to new technology,” Carter said. “When you start adding the number the people we’re adding, that’s a lot of dollars in salary.”

Carter hopes these centers will help DPS achieve its goal of reducing driver’s license office wait times to 30 minutes for a renewal and 45 minutes for everything else.

“This will give us 25 percent more staff to deal with the current population,” Carter said. “We also won’t be closing down any of the current locations.” Carter said he beleives building the centers is a step in the right direction.

“These Mega-Centers will increase customer service and will be a great opportunity,” Carter said. “It will help, but nothing will help overnight.”

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

up date; Got my driving license. Yesterday ...(1st written i failed ( long story to explain what happend that day), second 80% written. PASSS..and driving was good, my paralel parking was ok, a bit far from the curb but i got it....)........Yahoookicking.gif

here are few links i used to help in my preparation plus the hand book, i will recommend to read it fully more than one time and study the last page of it where tehre are a sample of questions asked in the Test.

http://www.drivingrules.net/quiz/qa1.htm

http://www.golocalnet.com/st/texas/index1.html

http://driversprep.com/index.php

http://djitz.com/guides/texas-driver-license-test-written-and-road-test-guide/ ( this blog is very good) he created an app game for all the questions that are in the book, you can practise with it, but i recommend to try answer the questions youre self by searching for the right answer you will remember it better.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLD972762803BBA9EE

Iphone apps:

Texas driver license practise test..........>Free

DMV Genius....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Free

Drivers ED.................................................> You pay 2 $...(its nothing)...its very good too,

Swerve......................................................>..i dont rememebr i think its free.

Here you go and good luck !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.