heartandsoul

Older spouse- denied without US spouse interviews

80 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The advice given in this thread is largely good, but unless I'm misreading things terribly, all but Brother Darnell are missing the central issue.

An "extended fraud interview" usually means a Stokes interview, wherein the couple attends together and are grilled separately, and their answers are compared.

It appears that the OP/petitioner was not physically present for the beneficiary's interview, so this would not have been a typical Stokes interview.

The OP/petitioner was not called (by phone) by the CO.

Accordingly, the reasoning in the refusal letter is faulty, and Darnell is correct that this was a glaring procedural error that could work to give the couple a second chance, if the U.S. Congressman's immigration liaison staffer is involved immediately.

Furthermore, such a blatant error by a CO could come back to bite that CO, and rightfully.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey.

i also face the same situation i went for interview on 29 june 2012 and i also get the 212(a)(5)(a) and i also dont have any ticked box for appeal they didnt take the interview of my husband who is my petioner he is also very upset i am completely broke down and i am also crying i am not able to do any work my mind is completely absent .over there my husband is also in disbelife position and he finally ready to hire lawyer for this case.I dont know what to do now.

Timeline

Hey.

i also face the same situation i went for interview on 29 june 2012 and i also get the 212(a)(5)(a) and i also dont have any ticked box for appeal they didnt take the interview of my husband who is my petioner he is also very upset i am completely broke down and i am also crying i am not able to do any work my mind is completely absent .over there my husband is also in disbelife position and he finally ready to hire lawyer for this case.I dont know what to do now.

Was it the same type of interview experience? Did the CO say they interviewed you both but never did?

If this is the exact situation of the OP Darnell suggested the right path on post #24 YOU MUST GET A SENATOR/CONGRESSMAN involved right away!!!! This could help in getting the case reviewed and the case to stay at the embassy... follow his advice to the letter!!!!

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Timeline

Was it the same type of interview experience? Did the CO say they interviewed you both but never did?

If this is the exact situation of the OP Darnell suggested the right path on post #24 YOU MUST GET A SENATOR/CONGRESSMAN involved right away!!!! This could help in getting the case reviewed and the case to stay at the embassy... follow his advice to the letter!!!!

hi

no she didn't say she take interview both of us and yes she ask me lot of questions and because my husband didn't come since 15 moth since our marriage she put this clue i have a proof of wedding pictures,he send me gifts,we talk daily on Skype and on phone even i talk to him on my cell too.our families meet frequently and i use to talked to my mother in law very frequently.i send him gifts.our i-130 approved, AOS approved,all the NVC process approved we face no objection at any time.i feel that i may face brain hammoriage if this problem will not sort out quickly.i show her all my album.but i dont know why this happen i am completly lost now.

Timeline

Then your best bet is to get your senator involved ASAP

You won't have the same issues as the op did as her information said they took interview of both beneficiary and petitioner so you won't have the same situation / or response

But you should involve the senator/congressman now to try to keep the case at embassy and any thing you can think of that would make them think this you should address immediately with their office

USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
NVC JOURNEY
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Timeline

Thanks to EVERYONE for the fabulous advice. You are all amazing and we can't thank you enough. I apprreciate your support and I don't know what I would have done without it. You gave me the strength to pull myself together and go out and make justice happen hopefully. I still cry but I am strong and I am out of shock and into action mode. We love each other too much to just cave in. I am following the Senator route right now and have submitted my paperwork to them.

On a sidenote: :ot:

Odd that there were 3 interviews this week (that were known on here) and all 3 of us were denied with the same code 212(A)(5)(A). Most men were denied that was witnessed there by our spouses during their time there and not even giving AP to any of them. Please EAbbas add me to your AP tracker or do you think that I should start another one just for denials from ISL Embassy?

event.png

Timeline

Thanks to EVERYONE for the fabulous advice. You are all amazing and we can't thank you enough. I apprreciate your support and I don't know what I would have done without it. You gave me the strength to pull myself together and go out and make justice happen hopefully. I still cry but I am strong and I am out of shock and into action mode. We love each other too much to just cave in. I am following the Senator route right now and have submitted my paperwork to them.

Odd that there were 3 interviews this week (that were known on here) and all 3 of us were denied with the same code 212(A)(5)(A). Most men were denied that was witnessed there by our spouses during their time there and not even giving AP to any of them. Please EAbbas add me to your AP tracker or do you think that I should start another one just for denials from ISL Embassy?

hi there

yes its really very odd that 3 of us dined with same code.I am still in shock and still crying my husband is in action mode he hire a lawyer and submitted the paper work to the senator as well .You know we also love each other very much and now its hard for us to live separately home means every thing to me .may God help him and EAbbas thanks for helping me plz be in touch that give me strength in this tough time.i miss my husband very much.still cant collect my self.and still crying while writing all this.

Timeline

hi there

yes its really very odd that 3 of us dined with same code.I am still in shock and still crying my husband is in action mode he hire a lawyer and submitted the paper work to the senator as well .You know we also love each other very much and now its hard for us to live separately home means every thing to me .may God help him and EAbbas thanks for helping me plz be in touch that give me strength in this tough time.i miss my husband very much.still cant collect my self.and still crying while writing all this.

Hi, i am sorry and very concerned about that. Is your husband original from Pakistan also.

Edited by Why_US

130 for Wife

09-07-2010 - Priority Date

01-10-2012 - Upgrade from F2A to CR1

03-23-2012 - NOA-2 Email Received

04-23-2012 - NVC received

05-10-2012 - Case # received

05-11-2012 (Friday) - AOS and IV invoiced and Paid. Status "In Process"

05-14-2012 (Monday) - AOS and IV status showed "Paid"

05-14-2012 - AOS and IV packages mailed

05-15-2012 - Package Delivered.

05-21-2012 - Case Completed. (11 Days after Case # assigned)

06-07-2012 - Got Interview date assigned for July 18th @ 8AM

06-13-2012 - Medical Done

07-18-2012 - Interview Done - Approved

07-20-2012 - Visa Received

event.pngevent.png

event.pngevent.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Marc Ellis had the following to say concerning the 212(a)(5)(a)which stands for Labor Certificate.

Visa Officer Marc Cook: 212(a)(5)(A) is a proper ground of refusal for IV applicants who are determined not to be eligible for the IV category under which they have applied. For example, it is used to refuse family-based IV applicants when it is determined that the requisite family relationship does not exist (e.g., a marriage to circumvent immigration law, or DNA tests establish lack of paternity/maternity). A 212(a)(5)(A) refusal is appropriate in these cases because, once the alien no longer falls within a family-based IV category, the alien is no longer exempt from the labor certification requirement that would otherwise normally apply to immigrant applicants.

So DOS uses 212(a)(5)(A) as a ground to refuse a family or K1 visa. It doesn't seem logical. But make a note

of it and save it for future reference. In my experience, these are not fatal. They are somewhat analogous to 221(g)

refusals and they can eventually be overcome.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I've not heard of this one in some time:

212(a)(5)(a)

but it was used for K-1 visa denials in Guangzhou for almost 4 years - the last I heard of it was circa March 2010..

I've not heard of it being used there since, though.

Guangzhou isn't Islamabad - I wonder if the Visa Officer that issued those in Guangzhou has transferred to Islamabad ?

re: Marc Ellis - ya, I read that ages past - it's a procedural thing that the Visa Officers in Guangzhou did with much frequency.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

212(a)(5)(a)

but it was used for K-1 visa denials in Guangzhou for almost 4 years - the last I heard of it was circa March 2010..

Guangzhou isn't Islamabad - I wonder if the Visa Officer that issued those in Guangzhou has transferred to Islamabad ?

re: Marc Ellis - ya, I read that ages past - it's a procedural thing that the Visa Officers in Guangzhou did with much frequency.

Yes, and it seems to be starting again, this time in Islamabad. We have to keep an eye on it to see what happens. It is a rather

sneaky way of refusal in a round about way and through the back door.

What people need to do is pay more attention to the number/letter markers on their sheet of paper and go from there to know the reason for refusal.

Unless there is a pending work visa at the same time that there is a family petition then it means the CO doesn't believe the

relationship is real and the focus has to be on overcoming that. Frequent trips to visit with documentation and photos are one of the best proofs.

212(a)(5)(a)

CO's do relocate so yes, perhaps it is the same one lol.....

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

The answer to your question Why_Us is YES, my husband was born in Pakistan. I hope that you are doing well and keep in touch.

I was telling someone that it warms my heart that there are people on here with their own issues as well as others that have completed the process and yet they are so kind to take the time to help others. What an amazing group of people. Through all of my sadness right now that makes me feel good.

event.png

Timeline

The answer to your question Why_Us is YES, my husband was born in Pakistan. I hope that you are doing well and keep in touch.

I was telling someone that it warms my heart that there are people on here with their own issues as well as others that have completed the process and yet they are so kind to take the time to help others. What an amazing group of people. Through all of my sadness right now that makes me feel good.

I added you to our Islamabad tracker but I don't want to do a denial section because we are praying that those denials turn into approvals!!! :) stay strong!!!!

USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
NVC JOURNEY
EMBASSY JOURNEY

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Timeline

I added you to our Islamabad tracker but I don't want to do a denial section because we are praying that those denials turn into approvals!!! :) stay strong!!!!

EAbbas plz also add me in your tracker i will be thankful.and yes we also need your and everyone prayers.its Really hard time for atleast me 6 days and i am still crying badly.I feel like i torn into millions of pieces.Hard for me to be strong no response from attorney as she said she will give appt as soon as she have time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.