joonphon

Tips for the Interview?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We just received an email regarding our interview date after sending packet 3 a couple days ago. I didn't expect to get our interview date this early because from what I heard it usually takes 45 days to 75 days after sending in packet 3. But interview date is on July 9th. We only met once in person and spent about 25 days together in our 2 years of relationship. I was going to visit him the 2nd time this spring but my grandmother was really sick w/ cancer and passed away this June so I didn't go. That's totally our down fall. However we have our call logs for the past 2 years we talked at least 1/week for the first year, then 2-3x/week this past year because the cost is now cheaper. We use windows live messenger to chat and webcam almost everyday and I have screen shots for the past 8-9 months. We have about 10 good pictures from our trips in Thailand, a couple letters and a few envelopes. I just have the feeling that it might not be enough.

He can speak English okay I think, should he just speak Thai during the interview?

Is he supposed to bring copies of I 129F and packet 3 to the interview too or no?

:unsure:

Any other tips you ladies and gentlemen can provide would be highly appreciated!.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We just received an email regarding our interview date after sending packet 3 a couple days ago. I didn't expect to get our interview date this early because from what I heard it usually takes 45 days to 75 days after sending in packet 3. But interview date is on July 9th. We only met once in person and spent about 25 days together in our 2 years of relationship. I was going to visit him the 2nd time this spring but my grandmother was really sick w/ cancer and passed away this June so I didn't go. That's totally our down fall. However we have our call logs for the past 2 years we talked at least 1/week for the first year, then 2-3x/week this past year because the cost is now cheaper. We use windows live messenger to chat and webcam almost everyday and I have screen shots for the past 8-9 months. We have about 10 good pictures from our trips in Thailand, a couple letters and a few envelopes. I just have the feeling that it might not be enough.

He can speak English okay I think, should he just speak Thai during the interview?

Is he supposed to bring copies of I 129F and packet 3 to the interview too or no?

:unsure:

Any other tips you ladies and gentlemen can provide would be highly appreciated!.

I would suggest go to the Thailand embassy reviews and read what people have said about their interview experience. It s very helpful and gives you a better feeling of what to prepare for and maybe you'll get some tips on things to bring along for interview.

Best of luck

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wouldn't worry too much about the interview, it sounds like you have plenty. That's about the amount of info I prepared for my fiancé. Having only met once is OK, you spent 25 days together, that's a lot. 10 pictures, you might consider trying to make that more like 15 to 20, but 10 should really be enough.

Just FYI, for our interview in Manila, they didn't look at a single piece of the evidence we brought, except the photos. These they looked at. Which is why the photos are probably your main thing you want to have prepared enough.

They will give him the choice to be interviewed in English or Thai. I think my fiancé chose English. My personal thinking is that one should choose English. I have no evidence to back this up, but just seems to me that choosing English shows that you are already trying to embrace your new country.

Also they usually recommend that you send to her the original boarding passes, and other evidence that you submitted copies of in the I-129F. Again, they probably will never look at it, but not a bad idea to have it there.

But of course we were nervous about our interview, most people are. It was really quite painless. A few questions like 'how did you meet, when was the last time he was here, does he have brothers and sisters, etc... Things that in a real relationship, she or he would know without having to think too hard.

So don't sweat it, sounds like you plenty of evidence ready!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would suggest go to the Thailand embassy reviews and read what people have said about their interview experience. It s very helpful and gives you a better feeling of what to prepare for and maybe you'll get some tips on things to bring along for interview.

Best of luck

:thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I wouldn't worry too much about the interview, it sounds like you have plenty. That's about the amount of info I prepared for my fiancé. Having only met once is OK, you spent 25 days together, that's a lot. 10 pictures, you might consider trying to make that more like 15 to 20, but 10 should really be enough.

Just FYI, for our interview in Manila, they didn't look at a single piece of the evidence we brought, except the photos. These they looked at. Which is why the photos are probably your main thing you want to have prepared enough.

They will give him the choice to be interviewed in English or Thai. I think my fiancé chose English. My personal thinking is that one should choose English. I have no evidence to back this up, but just seems to me that choosing English shows that you are already trying to embrace your new country.

Also they usually recommend that you send to her the original boarding passes, and other evidence that you submitted copies of in the I-129F. Again, they probably will never look at it, but not a bad idea to have it there.

But of course we were nervous about our interview, most people are. It was really quite painless. A few questions like 'how did you meet, when was the last time he was here, does he have brothers and sisters, etc... Things that in a real relationship, she or he would know without having to think too hard.

So don't sweat it, sounds like you plenty of evidence ready!

I Will try to get some more pictures printed out. And yes I'll be sending all the boarding passes to him too. Thank you so much for your reply. :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I did check the reviews... recently only a few of them are in good details.

Everyone would like to feel they are ready for the interview so we all want all the info we can get.

Keep in mind the real work is in the documents. If those are done right the interview is easy. Its taylored to your case so there are no standard exact questions. They review the case prior to the intervew and its bascily decided before he steps up to the window. They wont want to see endless pictures ect. They dont have time anyway. The few pics ect you have will be fine

He can interview in either language but I think its best to do it in English. They wont make it difficult at all. He doesnt need copies of the docs they already have. If they were missing any they would let you know now. They only set the interview after they have everything they need.

You have done well so far & it will now pay off as you will soon see. My guess is he will call you to say it went easier than he thought.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Everyone would like to feel they are ready for the interview so we all want all the info we can get.

Keep in mind the real work is in the documents. If those are done right the interview is easy. Its taylored to your case so there are no standard exact questions. They review the case prior to the intervew and its bascily decided before he steps up to the window. They wont want to see endless pictures ect. They dont have time anyway. The few pics ect you have will be fine

He can interview in either language but I think its best to do it in English. They wont make it difficult at all. He doesnt need copies of the docs they already have. If they were missing any they would let you know now. They only set the interview after they have everything they need.

You have done well so far & it will now pay off as you will soon see. My guess is he will call you to say it went easier than he thought.

Excellent point and so true. I think sometimes reading so much hear and talking to people we getting abit overwhelmed and freak and than we read a review and all went so smooth hardly any questions they had everything they needed and didn't ask for anything else.

You have all your ducks in a row you know and love one another it will be cool.kicking.gif

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Thailand regional forum; OP is asking for interview tips, since interview experiences differ from country to country, the topic is country specific.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

I feel so much better reading this post p ning! I told him to have the interview in English and hoping he's good enough... one quick question, they stand up during the interview? it seems like that from the reviews..

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I feel so much better reading this post p ning! I told him to have the interview in English and hoping he's good enough... one quick question, they stand up during the interview? it seems like that from the reviews..

I believe he will find the interview to be easy in the end and his English will do fine. If there is any problem they will ask him to speak Thai. Keep in mind they want to issue the visa. They just have to make sure everything is done correctly. They arent there to make anyones life miserable.

His name will be called. Probably by a Thai staff member. They will tell him to step up to the window. He will stand there long enough to answer a few questions and then be told when to pick up the passport with the visa.

You both have worked hard to have what you wanted and now you shall have it.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I keep reading about people having call records, Skype records, etcetera (like in this thread). Should I be concerned that my wife and I don't have any of that? I have a SIM card in my Afghan cell phone, so there's no record of my calls other than on the phone itself, and it's the same way with her cell phone in Thailand (she uses a SIM card). Also, we cannot Skype with each other because the internet is absolute sh*t here in Afghanistan. We've try on occasion, but always give up after about a minute into it because we can barely hear one another and the video never works. We rarely bother emailing each other because we talk on the phone every two or three days for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half. And when we send each other a package, we use my parents' address in the States...send it to them first and then they send it the rest of the way...and I highly doubt she's kept the boxes to prove she's received stuff from my parents.

To compensate for the lack of the above types of things, she has a complete copy of my passport which will show the numerous trips I've taken to Thailand as well as a copy of my lease agreement from when we lived there together for a year (I left in April to return to work while we go through the visa process). As for pictures, she has hundreds she can choose from (of us and of me with her family). She also has pictures of us together from trips we've taken to Hua Hin, Cambodia, and Singapore. And we also have a son together (who has dual citizenship). I mean, anyone who would think we're not in a "real marriage" and wants to see call records, emails, and envelopes would have to be certifiably insane. But, when dealing with government workers, who knows what to expect.

My timeline was last updated on 29MAR2013.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I keep reading about people having call records, Skype records, etcetera (like in this thread). Should I be concerned that my wife and I don't have any of that? I have a SIM card in my Afghan cell phone, so there's no record of my calls other than on the phone itself, and it's the same way with her cell phone in Thailand (she uses a SIM card). Also, we cannot Skype with each other because the internet is absolute sh*t here in Afghanistan. We've try on occasion, but always give up after about a minute into it because we can barely hear one another and the video never works. We rarely bother emailing each other because we talk on the phone every two or three days for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half. And when we send each other a package, we use my parents' address in the States...send it to them first and then they send it the rest of the way...and I highly doubt she's kept the boxes to prove she's received stuff from my parents.

To compensate for the lack of the above types of things, she has a complete copy of my passport which will show the numerous trips I've taken to Thailand as well as a copy of my lease agreement from when we lived there together for a year (I left in April to return to work while we go through the visa process). As for pictures, she has hundreds she can choose from (of us and of me with her family). She also has pictures of us together from trips we've taken to Hua Hin, Cambodia, and Singapore. And we also have a son together (who has dual citizenship). I mean, anyone who would think we're not in a "real marriage" and wants to see call records, emails, and envelopes would have to be certifiably insane. But, when dealing with government workers, who knows what to expect.

I had over 100 Thai entry stamps in my passport and they didn't care. They said that just proves you lived in Thailand, not that you lived with her. They denied us and gave us 221g. They wanted photos. I lived there for 3 years. 2 of them with my wife. We only turned in like 5 photos. They said we want more proof. Ok fine then. I bought a couple disposable cameras. Ran around Bangkok taking pictures with her. Went back changed clothes. Ran around Bangkok and took more pictures. Off to the one hour photo shop. Then back to the embassy witht he photos. You can turn in more evedence between 1-3 pm on Monday's and Wednesdays. Turned the pictures back in and she got the visa.

I was the first to get the new "bald guy" CO at the time. Apparently he was denying everyone back then. Thankfully he's long gone now. For some reason that consulate gives alot of weight to photos, or at least they used to.

That said, looks like your evidence is fine. Pictures pictures pictures when going throught the BKK embassy!

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

I had over 100 Thai entry stamps in my passport and they didn't care. They said that just proves you lived in Thailand, not that you lived with her. They denied us and gave us 221g. They wanted photos. I lived there for 3 years. 2 of them with my wife. We only turned in like 5 photos. They said we want more proof. Ok fine then. I bought a couple disposable cameras. Ran around Bangkok taking pictures with her. Went back changed clothes. Ran around Bangkok and took more pictures. Off to the one hour photo shop. Then back to the embassy witht he photos. You can turn in more evedence between 1-3 pm on Monday's and Wednesdays. Turned the pictures back in and she got the visa.

I was the first to get the new "bald guy" CO at the time. Apparently he was denying everyone back then. Thankfully he's long gone now. For some reason that consulate gives alot of weight to photos, or at least they used to.

That said, looks like your evidence is fine. Pictures pictures pictures when going throught the BKK embassy!

I take it that since you took most of your photos on the same day you didn't have any date stamps. Did you write when, who and where on the back of the photos? We have about 60 photos of us, us and the family and numerous trips we took around Thailand and Cambodia. We didn't date stamp them at the time we took them because we weren't taking them for the K-1. I have written where, when and who on the back of the photos, will that suffice? The photos are clearly taken on different dates and different locations. Thanks for your input.

Timeline

I take it that since you took most of your photos on the same day you didn't have any date stamps. Did you write when, who and where on the back of the photos? We have about 60 photos of us, us and the family and numerous trips we took around Thailand and Cambodia. We didn't date stamp them at the time we took them because we weren't taking them for the K-1. I have written where, when and who on the back of the photos, will that suffice? The photos are clearly taken on different dates and different locations. Thanks for your input.

No I didn't write anything on them. You'll be fine with what you have. That jerk at the embassy is long one.

I never really met much of her family. I met my wife through her sister's husband who was from England. Her parents and brother lived in Sia Saket. Her sister's husband died from drinking not long after I met her. Then her sister moved off to Chiang Mai to blow the inheritance. I travelled throughout asia every week for business, so when I got back to Bangkok, I didn't really feel like going anywhere.

We've travelled back to Thailand a couple times since my wife moved to the U.S., and I've stayed up in Si Saket with the family the last couple times. It was a pretty good time.

My Thai is ok, but her parents speak that Lao/Thai Isaan stuff and I can't understand hardly anything.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.