Peace....

How many of you saw your significant other online before flying across the country to meet in person?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Just kinda curious as to how many of you actually met your significant other via webcam before you actually flew to visit them. I was one of them that actually did not use webcams and personally didn't feel comfortable but that's just me.

So did ya see them or not before meeting in person???

I have no ideal why all the crazy symbols are showing up on my question above. Sorry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi GF

When we were in correspondence I intentionally kept my self not shown and he got to know me without knowing what I looked like. I liked that he remained interested without seeing me.

We eventually spoke on the phone. I do remember being very very nervous the first time talking to him on the phone after just writing and found his voice soooooo deep it took me aback. :blush:

This went on for months and then when I felt comfortable that he is a nice friend and worth continuing to get to know more then I chose to go on cam. Which again made me so nervous...

Oh how far we've come... :)

Then after a year of daily correspondence, almost to the day, is when we met in Casa...face to face.

How did you never see him?

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well Azzeddine and I chatted online with webcam from 12/2007 thur 01/2009 before I went to see him .... We were very respectful and kept our relationship pure ... We kept our first visit open with NO exspectations feeling we -will see if the chemistry was there or just a good friendship >>lol well we know where this went ....2+ yrs married now...../

I think it would have been scary to visit someone with out knowing whom ezctly you were visually seeing... photos can be altered or fake...

You were extremely lucky taking a hugh risk like that .. Congrats it worked in your favor....

I have heard horror stories on both sides....

KIM

WITH ALLAH ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!! ALHUMDILALLAH

Hi GF

When we were in correspondence I intentionally kept my self not shown and he got to know me without knowing what I looked like. I liked that he remained interested without seeing me.

We eventually spoke on the phone. I do remember being very very nervous the first time talking to him on the phone after just writing and found his voice soooooo deep it took me aback. :blush:

This went on for months and then when I felt comfortable that he is a nice friend and worth continuing to get to know more then I chose to go on cam. Which again made me so nervous...

Oh how far we've come... :)

Then after a year of daily correspondence, almost to the day, is when we met in Casa...face to face.

How did you never see him?

Oh I saw him, just never on cam only My Yearbook page with his photos during the time we chatted online. I met him in person the last few days of my trip and thank God he was an honest man about who he was in the pictures or else. Wow you guys did wait a while before seeing each other but that's a nice thing too. LOL, yes ohhhhhh how far we have come ...that's cute LOL.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Met Adam online & there was this little tiny picture of him on his profile page. I did ask him for a better one & he sent me 3 where he was with some friends. Got to see him & his mom, dad, grandparents & sister all on webcam a lot before I ever flew out there. Glad I did, it was great to see their smile everytime we got on webcam. He got to meet my mom on webcam even though she didnt live near me, we did a 3 way conference call then set up webcam with me and with her. He met my grandparents for real when they flew out to Egypt for a 3 day stop over before vacationing in Israel. Im happy with how things went for us. Worked for us!

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Well Azzeddine and I chatted online with webcam from 12/2007 thur 01/2009 before I went to see him .... We were very respectful and kept our relationship pure ... We kept our first visit open with NO exspectations feeling we -will see if the chemistry was there or just a good friendship >>lol well we know where this went ....2+ yrs married now...../

I think it would have been scary to visit someone with out knowing whom ezctly you were visually seeing... photos can be altered or fake...

You were extremely lucky taking a hugh risk like that .. Congrats it worked in your favor....

I have heard horror stories on both sides....

KIM

Yep as one member said, that are some creepers for sure out there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

We met in person so it's impossible to do either one if you don't know about the other person. When we were apart, we didn't use webcams or chat. he wrote emails at work and we mostly just talked on the phone. The university blocked chats and webcam stuff, skype, etc. His village didn't have internet at the time.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

For some reason I thought this was a poll :wacko:

Anyway, we didn't meet online. We met in person. I didn't see my husband on a webcam or in a pic until much later, after our relationship had developed from casual acquaintance to friend to something more serious.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Enjoyed reading this thread, I saw him in pics for six months on his Facebook account but I saw on Webcam two months before the first trip and he was wearing very conservative attire he is shy even til this day even after two years of marriage. I love this about him even today.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We met in person in a pub in Paris :)

Working in Turkmenistan, spouse is with me. 

Dealing with the NVC process...

Check out Timeline for questions :D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Abdellah and I first started talking on myspace and yahoo instant messenger for about two months b4 we saw eachother on webcam. We saw pics of eachtoher b4 that but it was better on webcam getting know how he acted kinda. We spoke for about 7 months b4 going to see him. but i was alittle worried the whole time on plane cuz im a tall girl and i was worried he'd be shorter and be intimidated by me. We talked about height and stuff b4 but its just not the same in person. but neway lol he turned out to be taller than me and i was so relieved about that. We still talk about now wow we wouldve reacted to eachother if i had been taller then him.. He says hed love me neway lol but who knows. Guess we were just meant to be.

Filed I129F: 03/4/2011

Received by USCIS: 3/8/2011

NOA:3/10/2011

NOA2:06/21/2011

Case# received from NVC: 07/1/2011.

got packet 3/4: Aug/4/2011

Interview: Sept 21st 2011

Timeline

We chatted on Facebook for hours a day when we first met. I thought it would be easier to chat on Skype, so we started to do that. He had to get a camera, so it took a day or two. We had a lot of technical difficulties there and one of us would type and the other would speak, so it was rather humorous. He was always a gentleman, which impressed me because most guys and cams = trouble. I flew there 6 months after we first met, and was glad that we used the cam, because I knew so many of his mannerisms before meeting him. We now use Oovoo, and don't have the technical difficulties that we were having on Skype (at least so far). I have FB Messenger on my phone, too, so we chat on that most days when we are away from the computer. We use the cam almost everyday, and I can not imagine not seeing him any less...

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.