VEG

Admitted drug use, redo medical?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all, I am new to this forum so sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I took my medical for my Cr-1 a while ago and admitted trying marijuana once at 18, which was 8 years ago. I am now freking out cuz I have read what has happened to others in my situation... I am so upset. My interview will be next month and I don't know what will happen.

I am from Finland (I don't know how to put that on my settings, sorry!), and there are two medical centres and three doctors that perform the medicals. Could i go to a new doctor and just present those results? since I will be the one taking the results in a sealed envelope from the doctor to the interview? Or is there some way the embassy will then know which one I used or that I used two doctors? Or should I just go to the interview with what I have and face denial?

Please help me... And I know I have messed up, I should never have done it in the first place but I was 18 and very stupid. I did not know I would end up where I am at the moment... :'(

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You have already admitted to it. It was 18 years ago. We All have done something in our lives that we are not too proud of. Dont make it worse by trying to cover it up. Just dont worry too much about it. Good luck to you.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

This is more of a Consulate/Embassy issue as each one deals with the issue differently. It also varies with the Panel Physician. If it was one time 8 years ago then most physicians won't even make a record of it as it's not a chronic, nor recent, condition. However, in some countries the PP will note it. The form asks about drug abuse. Drug abuse is defined as misuse or excessive use. You do not fit into that category. You should see if you can find someone who has experience with that PP and/or Consulate/Embassy. Try doing an advanced search in your regional forum.

I am going to move your topic from the IR-1/CR-1 Progress forum over to General Immigration-Related Discussion so that it gets more exposure. Good luck.

iagree.gif

Thank you for your replies! I will also have to check "yes" to ds-230, part II question 40b if I have admitted to committing a crime that involves substance abuse, am I right? The Finnish forum is so damn small... as is the country lol.

I am so stressed out over this, and worried of all the possible consequences, including the one year ban. Besides, I don't know how the situation would be different in a year, I would still have done it. It would just have happened 9 years ago instead of 8. I am so sad that I may have messed it all up this close to finishing :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

did you comitt a crime, such as selling the drug?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

No, never have, my record is clean. But the question states "An alien who...admits to having committed a crime involving moral turpitude or violation of any law relating to a controlled substance...", and yeah, I guess I have admitted to having committed to a violation of those laws? If I ever receive a visa, will I be asked about the same thing at the border? What about future employment? Was this it for me? :crying:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No, never have, my record is clean. But the question states "An alien who...admits to having committed a crime involving moral turpitude or violation of any law relating to a controlled substance...", and yeah, I guess I have admitted to having committed to a violation of those laws? If I ever receive a visa, will I be asked about the same thing at the border? What about future employment? Was this it for me? :crying:

If you had been caught and convicted, what would have been the maximum penalty? There's an exception for a single incident involving a violation of a controlled substance law if the maximum penalty does not exceed one year in prison.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

If you had been caught and convicted, what would have been the maximum penalty? There's an exception for a single incident involving a violation of a controlled substance law if the maximum penalty does not exceed one year in prison.

I just checked and it is a fine or maximum of 6 months in prison. What do you mean by 'exception'? Does that mean I don't have to check the box, or that it will not be considered as bad by the embassy or what? Does it state somewhere? Thank you for your help!

Edited by VEG

The question asks if you ever committed a crime involving drug use.

Trying the drug once isn't a crime; being arrested/convicted for drug possession or whatever is.

If you don't have a criminal record which has a drug-related offence on it, you don't need to tick "yes".

Lincoln, UK to Dallas, TX

K-1 Journey!

zwto8r27m.png

05/08/12 Sent package off
05/10/12 Package received by USCIS
05/14/12 NOA1 Received
05/15/12 Touch
11/08/12 NOA2 Received!!
11/29/12 Medical
11/29/12 Sent the forms and readiness for interview notice off
01/08/13 Forms finally processed, waiting for interview date
01/18/13 Received interview date letter
02/08/13 Interview
02/08/13 APPROVED!!!!!
02/15/13 Visa arrives
02/21/13 POE! ♥

AOS

06/19/13 Sent package off
06/24/13 Package received by USCIS
06/25/13 NOA1 Received
07/08/13 Biometrics
02/21/14 Approved!

ROC

12/15/15 Sent package off
12/21/15 NOA1 Received

01/14/16 Biometrics

05/25/16 Approved!

I don't know what the rules are, but I can tell you that marijuana is NOT considered a controlled substance. Controlled substances are cocaine, crack, heroine, opium, so on and so forth.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

I don't know what the rules are, but I can tell you that marijuana is NOT considered a controlled substance. Controlled substances are cocaine, crack, heroine, opium, so on and so forth.

Pretty sure that is incorrect (for the US). Marijuana is still listed as a Schedule I drug (i.e. the worst level with the highest punishments) under the Controlled Substances Act. Technically tetrahydrocannabinols (THC) is what's on there...but that means pot.

Edited by alizon

Pretty sure that is incorrect (for the US). Marijuana is still listed as a Schedule I drug (i.e. the worst level with the highest punishments) under the Controlled Substances Act. Technically tetrahydrocannabinols (THC) is what's on there...but that means pot.

I can tell you, speaking as a law enforcement officer, marijuana is not a controlled substance. At least, at the state level. If it is considered a controlled substance at the federal level, then that is news to me.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

I can tell you, speaking as a law enforcement officer, marijuana is not a controlled substance. At least, at the state level. If it is considered a controlled substance at the federal level, then that is news to me.

Yes, states have some discretion on their own laws and not all states classify it as a controlled substance. But more importantly, since we're talking about immigration issues here and that's the federal government, no state law changes the fact that it's a controlled substance federally. That's why people who are licensed to produce marijuana for medical use in California can still get in serious trouble with the federal drug enforcement officials, though currently the DOJ has opted out of pursuing those producers. The federal law that makes THC a controlled substance hasn't changed, so they could arrest people who are acting legally under their particular state's law at any time.

Edited by alizon

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.