Rebecca Jo

Before you permanently move to the US

541 posts in this topic

OMG - did you read the comments? I had to stop it was making me soooooo mad.

Daily Mail readers must read Huffington Post too?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

More likely they read the Independent and/or Guardian.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yeah, I'm sure the people talking about how the rules aren't strict enough and immigration should be stopped completely are avid Guardian readers dry.png

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Huff seems to be more focussed on people who would read those papers.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I noticed a cameo from Rebecca and her husband, if I'm not mistaken :) You guys look lovely together.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Huff seems to be more focussed on people who would read those papers.

HuffPo is definitely geared more towards those type of readers. It's also a magnet for conservative commenters, though.

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

• 2 weeks later...

Great read (link in first post), as we have started the "what are our long-term thoughts" discussions, and knowing that we would face either 6 months separation while he finds work to earn the required income OR save 62500GBP is quite relevant, as it would have to be a savings goal for a lot of months. Thanks Rebecca.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'm really kicking myself for not thoroughly reading this topic earlier.

I arrived in the US two days ago, and it's suddenly dawned on me that I'm not sure it's what I wanted. Feels like there's no way back to the UK now.

K1 Timeline

02-22-2013: I-129F to VSC

02-28-2013: NOA1

06-10-2013: NOA2 (102 days)

08-16-2013: Interview - Approved!

08-22-2013: Visa in hand

09-14-2013: POE Houston

10-30-2013: Married!

AOS Timeline

12-10-2013: Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

12-16-2013: NOA1 x 3

01-02-2014: Biometrics

02-24-2014: EAD/AP Approved

03-04-2014: Received EAD/AP

03-10-2014: Interview - Approved!

03-18-2014: Received GC

ROC Timeline

12-12-2015: I-751 to CSC

12-17-2015: NOA1

01-14-2016: Biometrics

05-19-2016: Approved!

N-400 Timeline

03-14-2017: N-400 to Texas Lockbox

03-22-2017: NOA1

04-11-2017: Biometrics

04-20-2017: In Line For Interview

07-02-2018: Interview - Approved!

08-22-2018: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I arrived in the US two days ago, and it's suddenly dawned on me that I'm not sure it's what I wanted. Feels like there's no way back to the UK now.

Awww Laura!!! Maybe those feelings have just come from the stress of the visa process etc? I'm sure everyone finds the move abit daunting at first .hope all works out for u x

Do';t worry Laura. It's natural to feel this way. You have spent months just pushing and pushing to get your K1 visa done. Then you POE into the US and you think 'Oh. I'm here now.' I felt rather strange about it. Although we called it 'our apartment', it didn't really feel like it as I didn't live there permanently.

You need to keep yourself occupied whilst you await your EAD. I attended job fairs and job workshops - checking your local Township's website for workshops, They are free and really useful. I got a job out of my first job fair and had to ask for my EAD to be expedited. It has been mailed today.

You will feel some homesickness. Remember to keep in contact with people in the UK through Skype and Facebook. But create new friends by going to a gym (classes are a hood way of meeting people) or joining the local library and attending workshops. I'm got to one this week on downloading books to Kindles. I know how to do that but I thought it would be a good way of meeting local people.

It will get easier. It has only been 2 days. If you would like to chat, PM me and I'll send you my phone number.

It's the bloody heat and jet lag. The heat index (feels like) temp is 99 (37C). Still summer in Houston. Start a new thread so we don't derail this one with our good intentions to cheer you up.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 2 weeks later...

Two days is too soon to tell.

But that being said, everyone should read this thread before they move to the US.

We just got back on Saturday from a "visit" home. That's all it can be for us under these new rules. Visits to the place you were born in - visits to family and friends. You are an exile from returning.

I am heartbroken to be back in the US. Literally. My husband's brother clearly isn't going to be able to carry on in his house, on his own, much longer. Under the old rules, we could have made everything work out to everyone's mutual benefit. Caring for my BIL and getting on our feet back over there. My son is out on his own now - there is no longer any reason for us to be here in the US.

I had a moment of near hysteria on the plane as I buckled myself in to come back here. I covered my face and wept till my shoulders shook. The kidney disease reared up in my face - how could I be taking my husband back to the US to face this illness there! It was tremendous - terrible - such a helpless feeling.

Very difficult to write about. I try not to think about it. I wouldn't be able to go about my daily business if I did.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

That's so hard Rebecca.

Is there any way you can take advantage of that EU 'loophole' you linked to above?

What are the options of getting a loan to cover the assets requirement (and then just paying it all back asap). Would they know it was from a loan?

I know this is a crazy thing to say and you don't want to hear it after the trauma of the US immigration process, but you're not exiled as a British citizen - just as a couple you'd have to be separated again for 6 months until you could take him with you. If you hate living in the US that much, it may be a path you'll need to consider.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.