Rebecca Jo

Before you permanently move to the US

541 posts in this topic

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn06724.pdf

"Various migrants’ rights groups are campaigning against the financial requirement, which they consider to be unfair, disproportionate and counter-productive to the Government’s intentions. In June 2013 a report by members of the APPG on Migration called for an independent review of the requirement and its impact. The Government does not intend to do this. It has made some minor adjustments to the policy, but overall is satisfied that it is operating as intended."

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Waiting for Theresa May to tell people to F-Off in polite, flowery language like last time...

"What's yours is mine!"

Waiting for Theresa May to tell people to F-Off in polite, flowery language like last time...

Pardon? I don't understand.

Pardon? I don't understand.

Basically the last time Theresa May was challenged on these rules by fellow MPs, she essentially told them in no uncertain terms to get stuffed and to go away. Of course she did so in posh language that you tend to hear in Parliament but the meaning was "I'm Home Secretary, I can do what the hell I want, you're nothing compared to me so screw off."

"What's yours is mine!"

Basically the last time Theresa May was challenged on these rules by fellow MPs, she essentially told them in no uncertain terms to get stuffed and to go away. Of course she did so in posh language that you tend to hear in Parliament but the meaning was "I'm Home Secretary, I can do what the hell I want, you're nothing compared to me so screw off."

Ah - gotcha.

It's funny you should put it like that. Because you are dead on. As Home Secretary, she CAN do whatever she wants insofar as the immigration rules. The rules are not law - they are policy. The Home Secretary can get out of bed in the morning, have a thought, and decide they want that thought to be a rule.

• 2 weeks later...

Appeal to be heard March 3rd through 5th, 2014.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is what makes me a very good colonial rebel,this is what makes me want to throw someones tea in a harbour,the fact that,back there in the UK, those in power with the money,influence and a good pension,dont care,they make rules that penalise the poorest or that ignore the fact we paid taxes,paid national insurance and the fact we are born and raised in the UK,and still have a Brit passport,they would be quick enough to tell us we have to respond to a call to military service and doour duty ?, but when it comes to bringing someone back that we are married to, and have made a genuine commitment to,its another matter,but setting the income so high to fullfill the visa requirements for a spouse when most people earn less than that in scotland,the north of england, wales and the north of ireland,is simply a scandal by a Tory Govt,but then again it was the Tories who were in power during the American revolution,what do we expect ??? ....they lost that issue too in the end !!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am getting on and even I do not remember National Service, must be 50 or so years ago when it was abolished.

What you paid in taxes etc paid for those who received benefits at the time, there is no 'fund' for you to draw upon.

Those claiming now are dependent on peoples paying taxes now or Government borrowing, which is why there is a mega problem.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

This is what makes me a very good colonial rebel,this is what makes me want to throw someones tea in a harbour,the fact that,back there in the UK, those in power with the money,influence and a good pension,dont care,they make rules that penalise the poorest or that ignore the fact we paid taxes,paid national insurance and the fact we are born and raised in the UK,and still have a Brit passport,they would be quick enough to tell us we have to respond to a call to military service and doour duty ?, but when it comes to bringing someone back that we are married to, and have made a genuine commitment to,its another matter,but setting the income so high to fullfill the visa requirements for a spouse when most people earn less than that in scotland,the north of england, wales and the north of ireland,is simply a scandal by a Tory Govt,but then again it was the Tories who were in power during the American revolution,what do we expect ??? ....they lost that issue too in the end !!

The reason that the government did this was as a headline vote grabber. The reason that they were able to do this is because Labour let so many immigrants in that it made immigration a top political issue. You might rail against the injustice of this (and it is unjust) but Labours policies mean that the average person on the street thinks that immigration is in the top 3 biggest issues we face and looks to the government to react. Only this week two former senior Labour ministers admitted that they made a huge mistake on immigration http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10445585/Labour-made-a-spectacular-mistake-on-immigration-admits-Jack-Straw.html

I do think that the 18,600 figure is a joke as it is not a high wage for the south east but for Devon (where I live) and many other parts of the country a lot of people struggle to make that. Maybe it should be 15,000 outside the south east and 20,000 inside. It's not fair that we as UK citizens would have to be separated for a year while the UK citizen has to make the money in a tax year if we decide to relocate to the UK.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At the moment I am posting this, this article is refresing itself with new information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26101442

Immigration minister Mark Harper has resigned from the government after it emerged his cleaner did not have permission to work in the UK.

Mr Harper notified Prime Minister David Cameron, who accepted his resignation "with regret", Number 10 said.

It added there was "no suggestion" the Conservative MP for the Forest of Dean had "knowingly employed an illegal immigrant".

Fellow Tory James Brokenshire has been appointed the new immigration minister.

Timeline

Thought she was Scottish and did not recognise the difference in accents?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

At the moment I am posting this, this article is refresing itself with new information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26101442

Immigration minister Mark Harper has resigned from the government after it emerged his cleaner did not have permission to work in the UK.

Mr Harper notified Prime Minister David Cameron, who accepted his resignation "with regret", Number 10 said.

It added there was "no suggestion" the Conservative MP for the Forest of Dean had "knowingly employed an illegal immigrant".

Fellow Tory James Brokenshire has been appointed the new immigration minister.

Labours immigration minister in 2009 was also found to be employing someone not allowed to work in the UK. She didn't resign though. Just goes to show how useless our politicians are!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Labours immigration minister in 2009 was also found to be employing someone not allowed to work in the UK. She didn't resign though. Just goes to show how useless our politicians are!

I believe she paid a fine of £5000.

Timeline

The hypocrisy is both sad and amusing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.