Rebecca Jo

Before you permanently move to the US

541 posts in this topic

Here's my latest contribution to Transpondia. It's always a great honor to be asked to write for them.

http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/content/home-office-pauses-processing-some-cases

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2013/july/51-min-income

The Home Office today, 26 July 2013, filed its appeal against a High Court judgment on the minimum income threshold for spouses/partners and children applying in the family route.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

• 2 weeks later...

Rebecca Jo - have you seen any explanations anywhere about why the Home Office did not want to offer the option of third party financial sponsorship?

Because they're being cray-cray. I listened to the lecture given by Ms. May and a MP asked about it. Basically she said to shove off.

My husband is a secondary physics teacher (field shortage). I'm a neonatal nurse (field shortage). Yet, they wouldn't take us. Seriously, man. They're cray cray to the max. Will it stand? I dunno. I've had my own personal dealings wit the NMC (nursing/midwifery council) and that was a testament in itself. I'm so glad I got my UK nursing license before all the new stuff came down (never mind the fact that I had to take the IELTS despite the fact that I'm natural-born American who completed a bachelor's degree instructed in English). Due to this, I'm not super confident in the ability of the UK government to rectify this.

On the other hand, the complaining will be more entertaining than American citizens complaining about their own government.

I really feel badly for people like Rebeccajo who have personal situations that really warrant them being in the UK. David and I can live here in the USA, no problem (so far). We have great paying jobs. I make twice as much here as in the UK for the same position. But....it's a shame that they are not utilizing one of their own for his natural talents, in a shortage area, no less!!

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Yes - we don't have any plans to move for at least another 5 years but it was always something I wanted to do. I'm working from home now part time while looking after my toddler, and I don't make anywhere near the sponsorship total. It's something that I'll have to work into our plans.

Although to be honest with the difficulties of getting the US job which meets the requirements and then six months later getting a UK job offer which meets the requirements without being able to tell the new employer exactly when you can start the new job, it sounds like I'd either just suck it up and move back with our daughter first on our own and deal with being separated for six months or more :( or try to take advantage of the EU loophole described in an earlier post.

My husband might have the opportunity of working in Paris in the future so I could go there with him, find a job for a while and then move back to the UK from there.

IF, and it's a big IF this hasn't all been changed in the next five years.

It was always our plan to move back to the UK eventually. The rules are more strict than they need to be, IMO, but they're not very different from what we'd assumed they would be before we began researching. Not fun, but hardly unexpected for us, so we're kind of just rolling with it and hoping it changes. If it doesn't, oh well.

What's making me a little worried is the anti-immigrant sentiment. As an example, my fiance mentioned to a friend that we'd pushed up our plans to move back to England after I'd had to visit a hospital while on vacation there and we had a real discussion about it. The friends response was that he was very much against immigrants coming to this country "for the benefits". I don't understand this mentality; I'll be paying taxes (and as I understand it, paying extra for NHS access until I'm a citizen) so it's not like I wouldn't be paying for it like everyone else. I can't imagine what I would be treated like by someone who is more vociferous in their opposition and who isn't a friend.

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

More directed at third world immigrants.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I recall having discussions with friends about "the immigrant problem." When I'd point out I was an immigrant as well (since at that time I had no clue I was ever going to return to the States), I would be told that I don't count, because I'm American and Americans are not the problem. Amazing.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

I didn't think Americans are the problem either.

Why is that amazing?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Maybe it's amazing because we're used to being blamed for everything laughing.gif

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Because they're being cray-cray. I listened to the lecture given by Ms. May and a MP asked about it. Basically she said to shove off.

My husband is a secondary physics teacher (field shortage). I'm a neonatal nurse (field shortage). Yet, they wouldn't take us. Seriously, man. They're cray cray to the max. Will it stand? I dunno. I've had my own personal dealings wit the NMC (nursing/midwifery council) and that was a testament in itself. I'm so glad I got my UK nursing license before all the new stuff came down (never mind the fact that I had to take the IELTS despite the fact that I'm natural-born American who completed a bachelor's degree instructed in English). Due to this, I'm not super confident in the ability of the UK government to rectify this.

On the other hand, the complaining will be more entertaining than American citizens complaining about their own government.

I really feel badly for people like Rebeccajo who have personal situations that really warrant them being in the UK. David and I can live here in the USA, no problem (so far). We have great paying jobs. I make twice as much here as in the UK for the same position. But....it's a shame that they are not utilizing one of their own for his natural talents, in a shortage area, no less!!

When I asked Michael Howard on Question Time about why they (as in the LibCons) wouldn't up minimum wages to help people, he basically gave me a non-answer. When the Liberals wanted my support, I pointed them to that and told them to shove off... does seem like the current UK government are a bunch of self-absorbed crackpots. Which is why I won't vote anymore (though I won't have to worry about that soon it seems..)

"What's yours is mine!"

Timeline

When I asked Michael Howard on Question Time about why they (as in the LibCons) wouldn't up minimum wages to help people, he basically gave me a non-answer. When the Liberals wanted my support, I pointed them to that and told them to shove off... does seem like the current UK government are a bunch of self-absorbed crackpots. Which is why I won't vote anymore (though I won't have to worry about that soon it seems..)

Or get a better paying job?

From a practical point of view increasing wage costs should help with capital investment.

Or get a better paying job?

From a practical point of view increasing wage costs should help with capital investment.

I took whatever I could back before my surgery because a job was a job in my area. But anyway, that's another story. I'm sure if people want to talk politics they can do it in the appropriate forum.

"What's yours is mine!"

Timeline

With the increase in employment costs I have certainly upped my investment, there are some things you can not outsource.

But them most people round here seem uninterested in working if it impacts their benefits - now that is political.

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.