Rebecca Jo

Before you permanently move to the US

541 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What do you expect?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I noticed as I re-read Mr. Green's letter to my husband that he did not call him by his proper name.

So I took the opportunity to fire back a little note to him. :devil:

What do you expect?

Not much else. But they are fun to bother.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

David's MP wrote back saying that he will keep us abreast of the situation, but not much he can do about it right now.

I love how you need 5 years to test if it's a genuine relationship. David and I will probably be married about 10 years by the time we would move over. So...after 10 years of marriage, they're still questioning it? And only if we live in the UK for a further 5 years, they will be satisfied that we're not in it for "immigration benefits"?

A thought occurred to me though--how does DCF work as far as the I-864 go? Do you need a job offer as well? I suppose the main difference is that you can get a co-sponsor.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

A thought occurred to me though--how does DCF work as far as the I-864 go? Do you need a job offer as well? I suppose the main difference is that you can get a co-sponsor.

You do not need a job offer in order to complete the I-864 for DCF purposes. I didn't have a job to go to when I moved over, but I was being headhunted for a couple of positions, so I provided that info as part of showing my intent to re-establish domicile when we moved back together. Who knows what the rules will be in 10 years though!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Lets see if I understand this

Robin doesn't make enough but If I marry him over thee an stay over there I have a house here in the states we can use the value of the house instead of savings to make up the deference no I don't plan on selling the house my son will be still living here

event.png

Robin doesn't make enough but If I marry him over thee an stay over there I have a house here in the states we can use the value of the house instead of savings to make up the deference no I don't plan on selling the house my son will be still living here

No you can't.

UKBA only wants to see your liquid assets.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Can you charge your son rent? Rental Income can be considered and you would just need to charge him the threshold - Robin's income per year.

Can you charge your son rent? Rental Income can be considered and you would just need to charge him the threshold - Robin's income per year.

LOL. :lol:

Someone suggested something similar in another community. There are going to be a lot of people who slightly miss the threshold by say - a few hundred to a thousand pounds. No matter how much you are "short", the Home Office is going to require you to have £16K in the bank before you can even begin to match shortfall. These same people might have some money saved (say £10K for our example) but not £16K plus shortage x 2.5. Sooooooooooo........

The scenario posed was "what if I take my 10 grand and buy a garage, then rent it out for $100 a month"............

Now, I know all these rules are new, so we are really going to have to see what the Home Office does with the financials. But the answer I got from Transpondia about that garage was it "wouldn't fly because it's contrived".

So I don't think a brand new "tenant" would work either. *In fact I think the rules talk about income from rentals but I'm not able to dig through them right now*

There have been several stakeholder meetings and trainings regarding these new rules. The position the Home Office is taking is a very rigid one. I'm not even sure they would take a Money Market account as proof of income - they were very explicit in a recent training about what are called "fixed bond accounts" in the UK. They stated fixed bond accounts would not qualify (even at the penalized withdraw amount) because they are backed by investments. So far, their position has been "show me the cold hard cash". With rigidity like that regarding convertible instruments, I think they are not going to look kindly on newly rented garages and tenants in principal residences.

But time will tell.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

LOL. :lol:

Someone suggested something similar in another community. There are going to be a lot of people who slightly miss the threshold by say - a few hundred to a thousand pounds. No matter how much you are "short", the Home Office is going to require you to have £16K in the bank before you can even begin to match shortfall. These same people might have some money saved (say £10K for our example) but not £16K plus shortage x 2.5. Sooooooooooo........

The scenario posed was "what if I take my 10 grand and buy a garage, then rent it out for $100 a month"............

Now, I know all these rules are new, so we are really going to have to see what the Home Office does with the financials. But the answer I got from Transpondia about that garage was it "wouldn't fly because it's contrived".

So I don't think a brand new "tenant" would work either. *In fact I think the rules talk about income from rentals but I'm not able to dig through them right now*

There have been several stakeholder meetings and trainings regarding these new rules. The position the Home Office is taking is a very rigid one. I'm not even sure they would take a Money Market account as proof of income - they were very explicit in a recent training about what are called "fixed bond accounts" in the UK. They stated fixed bond accounts would not qualify (even at the penalized withdraw amount) because they are backed by investments. So far, their position has been "show me the cold hard cash". With rigidity like that regarding convertible instruments, I think they are not going to look kindly on newly rented garages and tenants in principal residences.

But time will tell.

I took it as rent was income and not savings - as in it can be applied directly to the 18,600. (If you meet the 18,600 there is no requirement for savings right?) So I was thinking if say Robin earned 14,000 POUNDS and Sara earned say 6,000USD from rent then they'd hit 18,600.

"Property rental income: The property, in the UK or overseas, must be owned by the applicant’s partner, the applicant or both jointly, and must not be their main residence (and therefore income from a lodger in that residence cannot be counted). If the applicant’s partner or applicant shares ownership of the property with a third party, only income received from the applicant’s partner’s and/or applicant’s share of the property can be counted. Income from property which is rented out for only part of the year (e.g. a holiday let) can be counted. The equity in a property cannot be used to meet the financial requirement."

I read further down it must be received 12 months or less from the application date and you need to show a deed plus rental agreement etc.

Edited by Sousuke

I took it as rent was income and not savings - as in it can be applied directly to the 18,600. (If you meet the 18,600 there is no requirement for savings right?) So I was thinking if say Robin earned 14,000 POUNDS and Sara earned say 6,000USD from rent then they'd hit 18,600.

"Property rental income: The property, in the UK or overseas, must be owned by the applicant’s partner, the applicant or both jointly, and must not be their main residence (and therefore income from a lodger in that residence cannot be counted). If the applicant’s partner or applicant shares ownership of the property with a third party, only income received from the applicant’s partner’s and/or applicant’s share of the property can be counted. Income from property which is rented out for only part of the year (e.g. a holiday let) can be counted. The equity in a property cannot be used to meet the financial requirement."

I read further down it must be received 12 months or less from the application date and you need to show a deed plus rental agreement etc.

I only mentioned savings as an example of something being contrived. As you can see by the good research you did, they've "killed" the ability to put a tenant into a home one is leaving from abroad by requiring proof it's been rented for the previous 12 months.

So I'm guessing 401(k) account balances are out? damn.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Other Timeline

The Kingdom is pounded by immigrants from India and the Middle East. There is a not-so-silent uproar among the British population, demanding that the U-kay government puts a stop to this invasion that causes the Brits to lose their sense of nationality. Now the British government has done what the U.S. government will do eventually: pass an immigration reform that makes it harder for foreigners from far, far away to emigrate to the U-kay. Yet now some complain about this. Eighteen thousand pounds Sterling per year for a family of two is not an unreasonable income, me thinks.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

The Kingdom is pounded by immigrants from India and the Middle East. There is a not-so-silent uproar among the British population, demanding that the U-kay government puts a stop to this invasion that causes the Brits to lose their sense of nationality. Now the British government has done what the U.S. government will do eventually: pass an immigration reform that makes it harder for foreigners from far, far away to emigrate to the U-kay. Yet now some complain about this. Eighteen thousand pounds Sterling per year for a family of two is not an unreasonable income, me thinks.

Tell it to the Daily Mail, troll man.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.