IMANCO

i129 and i130 approvals both on same day

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Guys,

I am quite confused and i will be most greatful if my query can be answered. I got my i130 and i129 approval on the same day, last month (29 may) and me and my spouse are using a lawyer. There is a twist in the advice the lawyer is giving, this is why i am making this enquiry. The lawyer advises that if i want to be with my spouse real quick, i can proceed with the i129 and i will get an interview earlier than using the i130 route. I also saw something on the NVC wiki, regarding actually using the i129 approval to fasten your i130. I am confused. I do hope my request is explicit enough?

Timeline

Hi Guys,

I am quite confused and i will be most greatful if my query can be answered. I got my i130 and i129 approval on the same day, last month (29 may) and me and my spouse are using a lawyer. There is a twist in the advice the lawyer is giving, this is why i am making this enquiry. The lawyer advises that if i want to be with my spouse real quick, i can proceed with the i129 and i will get an interview earlier than using the i130 route. I also saw something on the NVC wiki, regarding actually using the i129 approval to fasten your i130. I am confused. I do hope my request is explicit enough?

If your lawyer gave you that advice while you was already married it means he has no clue. i-129 is strictly for fiance(ee) and it is not used to speed up the i-130 in any way which is strictly for married people and can only be filed by spouse. I don't have an idea how you are going to go about this with two different contradictory petition, maybe someone who knows better can come on and give you an answer. If your both petition make it to the embassy, there is possibly going to be a confusion as to why you filed both petition which are clearly different. Please read this http://www.visajourn...content/k1guide, http://www.visajourn...tent/i130guide1

Edited by Ken & Lecia

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures as this is the path the OP is likely to end up on. Duplicate thread removed.

Hi Guys,

Firstly, it would have been an I-129F that would have been filed in addition to the I-130, not an I-129. Secondly, your lawyer gave outdated advice. The two petitions were tied together when the I-129F arrived at the service center (the I-130 was pulled from its place in the queue and placed with the I-129F that arrived second). The two petitions were approved at the same time and will be sent to the NVC at the same time. The two are likely to arrive at the NVC at the same time and per NVC policy, the I-129F will be administratively closed because an approved I-130 will be on station at the NVC. Very rarely does an I-129F arrive at the NVC ahead of the I-130.

If your lawyer gave you that advice while you was already married it means he has no clue. i-129 is strictly for fiance(ee) and it is not used to speed up the i-130 in any way which is strictly for married people and can only be filed by spouse. I don't have an idea how you are going to go about this with two different contradictory petition, maybe someone who knows better can come on and give you an answer.

You are incorrect on three counts in this post:

1. First: I-129F is what is filed for fiance(e), not I-129.
  2. Second: Your statement "the i-130 in any way which is strictly for married people and can only be filed by spouse" is inaccurate. The I-130 is the petition form filed by US Citizens OR US Lawful Permanent Residents to petition any family member (including but not limited to spouses).
  3. Third: There is spouse visa type on the books that starts by first filing an I-130, then filing an I-129F. That visa type is the K3 visa. However, current NVC policy has rendered the K3 an obsolete visa type.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures as this is the path the OP is likely to end up on.

Firstly, it would have been an I-129F that would have been filed in addition to the I-130, not an I-129. Secondly, your lawyer gave outdated advice. The two petitions were tied together when the I-129F arrived at the service center (the I-130 was pulled from its place in the queue and placed with the I-129F that arrived second). The two petitions were approved at the same time and will be sent to the NVC at the same time. The two are likely to arrive at the NVC at the same time and per NVC policy, the I-129F will be administratively closed because an approved I-130 will be on station at the NVC. Very rarely does an I-129F arrive at the NVC ahead of the I-130.

You are incorrect on three counts in this post.

2. Second: Your statement "the i-130 in any way which is strictly for married people and can only be filed by spouse" is inaccurate. The I-130 is the petition form filed by US Citizens OR US Lawful Permanent Residents to petition any family member (including but not limited spouses).
  3. Third: There is spouse visa type on the books that starts by first filing an I-130, then filing an I-129F. That visa type is the K3 visa. However, current NVC policy has rendered the K3 an obsolete visa type.

Thank you for the enlightenment.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures as this is the path the OP is likely to end up on. Duplicate thread removed.

You are incorrect on three counts in this post:

2. Second: Your statement "the i-130 in any way which is strictly for married people and can only be filed by spouse" is inaccurate. The I-130 is the petition form filed by US Citizens OR US Lawful Permanent Residents to petition any family member (including but not limited to spouses).

Are you saying that a person can no longer apply for a K-3 VISA for their spouse? Im confused. I thought there were two options, K-3 and CR-1.....I was under the impression you could choose to file either one. Is this no longer true?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Are you saying that a person can no longer apply for a K-3 VISA for their spouse? Im confused. I thought there were two options, K-3 and CR-1.....I was under the impression you could choose to file either one. Is this no longer true?

A US Citizen does not apply for K3 visa for their spouse, they file a petition. The foreign spouse applies for the visa.

To answer your question, the K3 visa is still officially on the books and if a US Citizen petitioner wanted to take the necessary steps to start that process, they can so so. What I am saying is by doing so, the following sequence of events is what occurs 95-99% of the time:

• USC first files I-130 and receives NOA1
  • USC files I-129F to start K3 process
  • USCIS receives I-129F; to tie the two petitions together, USCIS will pull the I-130 from its current place in the queue and place it with the I-129F that was just submitted.
  • The two petitions are adjudicated and a decision is made on them at the same time
  • If approved, the two petitions are sent to the NVC; the two will usually be sent to the NVC at the same time
  • The two petitions usually arrive and are received by the NVC at the same time. Sometimes, the I-130 will arrive at the NVC first.
  • Per current NVC policy, if the two petitions arrive at the same time or if the I-130 arrives first, the I-129F is administratively closed. An approved I-130 on station at the NVC negates the purpose of the K3.

There is that rare circumstance where an I-129F will arrive at the NVC ahead of the I-130. In that scenario, the I-129F will be processed and the K3 process goes forward. The couple will also have a choice of which path they wish to pursue; if they want the K3, they would respond to all correspondence from the Embassy/Consulate and follow all instructions given. If they if they want the CR-1, they would ignore all correspondence related to the K3 and follow all NVC processing steps.

The K3 visa was created at a time when it was taking years for an I-130 to be approved. Improved processing times of I-130 petitions as well as policy changes by USCIS* and the NVC** since the time the K3 was created have rendered it obsolete and virtually unobtainable.

*In 2006, USCIS began tying the I-130 and I-129F petitions together.

**In February 2010, the NVC began administrative closure of I-129F petitions that were filed to begin the K3 process when they already have an approved I-130 on station.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

A US Citizen does not apply for K3 visa for their spouse, they file a petition. The foreign spouse applies for the visa.

To answer your question, the K3 visa is still officially on the books and if a US Citizen petitioner wanted to take the necessary steps to start that process, they can so so. What I am saying is by doing so, the following sequence of events is what occurs 95-99% of the time:

• USC first files I-130 and receives NOA1
  • USC files I-129F to start K3 process
  • USCIS receives I-129F; to tie the two petitions together, USCIS will pull the I-130 from its current place in the queue and place it with the I-129F that was just submitted.
  • The two petitions are adjudicated and a decision is made on them at the same time
  • If approved, the two petitions are sent to the NVC; the two will usually be sent to the NVC at the same time
  • The two petitions usually arrive and are received by the NVC at the same time. Sometimes, the I-130 will arrive at the NVC first.
  • Per current NVC policy, if the two petitions arrive at the same time or if the I-130 arrives first, the I-129F is administratively closed. An approved I-130 on station at the NVC negates the purpose of the K3.

There is that rare circumstance where an I-129F will arrive at the NVC ahead of the I-130. In that scenario, the I-129F will be processed and the K3 process goes forward. The couple will also have a choice of which path they wish to pursue; if they want the K3, they would respond to all correspondence from the Embassy/Consulate and follow all instructions given. If they if they want the CR-1, they would ignore all correspondence related to the K3 and follow all NVC processing steps.

The K3 visa was created at a time when it was taking years for an I-130 to be approved. Improved processing times of I-130 petitions as well as policy changes by USCIS* and the NVC** since the time the K3 was created have rendered it obsolete and virtually unobtainable.

*In 2006, USCIS began tying the I-130 and I-129F petitions together.

**In February 2010, the NVC began administrative closure of I-129F petitions that were filed to begin the K3 process when they already have an approved I-130 on station.

Great information...thank you very much !!

Timeline

Thanks guys for this great information. The lawyer says that if i go on with the i-130, it will take me longer to be with my spouse and he promised that the i129f will be a lot faster. Dont know what to do now, is there any sense in what the lawyer is saying. Technically, can i join my wife faster with the i129. Your inputs are welcome guys......

Timeline

I just need advice on what to tell the lawyer. I currently live abroad and wish to complete my visa journey abroad and not in my home country. My visa is due to expire soon, so i am in a hurry to get the process going that is why i think the i129f is a good way to go. Any one out there with the same experience?

Thanks guys for this great information. The lawyer says that if i go on with the i-130, it will take me longer to be with my spouse and he promised that the i129f will be a lot faster. Dont know what to do now, is there any sense in what the lawyer is saying. Technically, can i join my wife faster with the i129. Your inputs are welcome guys......

Well, you will have to wait for what happens at NVC. If they receive your I-130 first and close your I-129F, you will have no choice but to continue on the CR-1/IR-1 route.

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'd print out this thread with the answers and let your lawyer read them and see what his reply is :thumbs:

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

imanco, nothing is 'settled' till the fat lady sings, at NVC.

So, listen her for voice, on both petitions, then let us know what is available to you, when she stops singing, aye?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I have been calling the NVC to ask if my case has gotten to their desk. I call every other day. Initially, i was calling to enquire about both the i130 and i129f, but in the last 3 days, i have been calling to enquire about only the i129f. I really pray this is approved first, so my process can move on faster. Its been 18 business days and 24 days since my NOA2 on my i129f and i130 and nothing yet from the NVC. VERY WORRIED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.